Do You Have An Artifact Room?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just curious as to how everyone displays their artifacts. Do you have a room with your pieces set up in it? Do you have them stored away in boxes? Do you have them spread out all around the house?

When we moved into our new house I had most of my collection still at my parents house in the basement. After we got settled in I took an old workshop that the man that lived there before used for woodworking and cleaned it up, painted the walls and the shelving, put in new indoor/outdoor carpet, and moved everything into it. My wife wasn't real keen about me having things in the house because I wouldn't let her move anything to clean the shelves, so this worked out really well. This building is about 20 feet long by 8 feet wide and is perfect for my showcases, trays, curio cabinets, and shelves. I have the bulk of my collection out on display so I can just go in and look at anything I want, plus it makes it easier if someone stops by so I don't have to go digging everything out just to show them something.

If you have a room or a display of some kind then let's see what they look like.

Here's some pictures of my artifact room.

Attachments

• Pics-441.jpg
    Pics-441.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 862
  • Trays.jpg
    Trays.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 855
  • Showcase With Antlers.jpg
    Showcase With Antlers.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 857
  • Pictures013.jpg
    Pictures013.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 856
  • Pics-442.jpg
    Pics-442.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 849
  • Artifact Pictures 044.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 044.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 845
  • Pictures007.jpg
    Pictures007.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 834
  • Artifact Pictures 044.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 044.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 828
  • Artifact Pictures 045.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 045.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 836
  • Artifact Pictures 055.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 055.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 830
  • Pictures006.jpg
    Pictures006.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 829
  • Pics-442.jpg
    Pics-442.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 850
  • Pictures013.jpg
    Pictures013.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 830
  • Showcase With Antlers.jpg
    Showcase With Antlers.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 844
  • Pictures012.jpg
    Pictures012.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 868
  • Trays.jpg
    Trays.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 858
  • Pics-441.jpg
    Pics-441.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 846
  • Pictures011.jpg
    Pictures011.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 875
Upvote 0

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
I can only dream of having enough artifacts to make a room display. I can fit all of mine in a shoe box and have room to spare :( I need to get out more often.

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dude that's wac! Holy moly .. One hell of a collection. You could set up tours there.. Crazy ..........

Pick 8.. what are those long pieces on both sides of the display?

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Dorkfish,

Awesome room you have there! You should be very proud to have such a wonderful display. Please if you dont already have one , put an alarm system in that building! Maybe even an attack dog. There are so many theives out there that you really have to be carefull who sees your beautiful room. Some folks see $$$$ instead of native history. I also display my stuff , and will get you some pics up tomorrow. My lighting is very soft in my artifact/gun room. I know some folks that love to collect but are so scared of their stuff being stolen that they dont display and rarely get their stuff out to show. I collect to enjoy and for others to enjoy also , so I display. Since I find all of my pieces it gives me a real sense of pride to let people see them and hear the stories of how they were found.I do worry about losing them to some crackhead so I protect them w/alarm system , attack dogs(not really , they are Labs), and good ole' Smith-n-Wesson and Mr. Browning. Always keep in mind that the person who views your collection may be of good intent , but the people that they talk to may not.Your collection I am sure is as important to you as mine is. Thank you so much for the great show!!

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Dork I have to agree with Twig, AMAAAAAZING collection you have there. But do be very careful with it. There are way too many theives out there that would do anything to get their hands on your artifacts. I hope you keep a loaded gun handy at all times 8)

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Doug,

I hear ya!! It is soooo true!! I know a man here in my area who had a great collection and decided to put a security system in and protect it . The guys who came to install the system later returned and disarmed the system and stole his collection. They were both caught , but had already sold a few pieces. The owner of the collection was so worried about this that he sold avery artifact that he had. It is a shame that there are people out there who are too lazy to earn their own posessions that they have to steal from others. Sorry Dork, not trying to hijack your thread.

Happy Huntin' ,Bent-Twig.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Nice ZIG-ZAG Advertisement ... :thumbsup:

Gives a whole new meaning to Peace Pipe ... ;D

That Zig Zag poster is made from bamboo and is at least 50 years old. I have had it since 1980 when my brother bought it in a thrift shop in Nelsonville, Ohio. The lady that had it in the shop said she had had it since 1958 and she got it from someone who brought it in to sell to her.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich in Houston said:
Dude that's wac! Holy moly .. One hell of a collection. You could set up tours there.. Crazy ..........

Pick 8.. what are those long pieces on both sides of the display?

Thanks Rich. Those things you are asking about are Rams Horns that I got off of a farmer years ago. Nothing Indian related, just cool looking so I display them.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dollarzero said:
What's the story on the big white lost lake in pic 13? Did you find that?

dollarzero, there are only 12 pictures, but if you are referring to the one in the frames hanging on the wall then yes it was a personal find. I found it in a soybean field about 10 years ago and then got run out the field 5 minutes after I found it.

Here's a better picture of it, front and back.

Attachments

• Pics-323.jpg
    Pics-323.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 807
  • Pics-323.jpg
    Pics-323.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 796
  • Pics-324.jpg
    Pics-324.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 802
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio Doug and Bent-Twig, thanks for the comments. Trust me, this room is very well protected. Not only that I have all kinds of security lights on the outside that come on if anything moves within 50 feet of it. I also have neighbors with security lights that are just as sensitive and we all keep an eye on each others houses. Not only that, but our neighborhood is very quiet and I have left me garage door wide open with the lights on all night long and not had anything taken. I know it only takes one time, but I feel pretty safe about where they are and how they are protected.

As for the alarm company coming back and stealing things, I heard about one in my area that was doing the same thing. It was just one employee, but he would install alarms and then come back later and disarm them top rob the house when the people were gone. They finally caught him in the act and put him away for quite a while.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve that's absolutely amazing, breath taking. WoW !!!

I store my artifacts in boxes at the moment. When I find the house of my dreams I'll have a safe room built under the house. Believe me it'll be like Fort Knox ;D
Glad you started this Thread, when I have nothing to do, I can gaze at your fine collection.
It's so nice to see collectors keeping artifacts & not selling them to make profit.
Amazing, I'm sure everyone envies you. You inspire us all.

Thanks for Thread.

Molly. :thumbsup:

A

Atlantis0077

OUTSTANDING!!

You have a better collection than most museums you will see. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I keep my best stuff in a safe. Not as much because I am afraid it would be stolen, always a possibility, but in case of fire. Fire will destroy your collection totally and completely. I suggest a safe with a high fire rating to safeguard your really irreplaceable items. :thumbsup:

Again, wonderful collection.

HH,

Atlantis

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do have a museum! I know you have seen pics of my Man cave before but here it is again...
mancave.jpg

mancave1.jpg

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Molly, Atlantis, and creekhunter.

Creekhunter, I see you still have your cache blades. Never had any luck selling them I guess. I wish I had the money. I would buy them in a heartbeat. Nice "man cave" as well. I like going out and just setting in mine for a while just to admire my pieces and to get away from the wife and kid for a while. Very relaxing. lol

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those things you are asking about are Rams Horns that I got off of a farmer years ago. Nothing Indian related, just cool looking so I display them.

I was talking about the rocks next to the horns. Outside of the horns.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when I get my artifacts room, It'll be a woman-cave? ::)

Nice frames Creek, is that a small frame of drills? oh I just love drills, can I see it closer... Please.. :tongue3:

Molly. ;D

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich in Houston said:
Those things you are asking about are Rams Horns that I got off of a farmer years ago. Nothing Indian related, just cool looking so I display them.

I was talking about the rocks next to the horns. Outside of the horns.

Okay, sorry about that. The one on the left hand side is a very large Celt. It has a little bit of blade damage but is still pretty nice. The one on the right is a Pestle of some type. It has been completely pecked all over to that shape and then both ends have battering like it was used to crush things with. The large Celt my brother gave to me. He got it from some young kid who found it and had no idea what it was. The Pestle is a personal find. I had to carry the monster for about 4 hours one day because I was to far away from my vehicle to take it back. It got to the point that I would carry it for a while and then set it down by the edge of the field and then pick it back up when I moved on to another field. It was found at a place we used to hunt that had a ridge that ran for about 5 or 6 miles and was just site after site along the ridge. Unfortunately, it is now a nature preserve and doesn't get farmed anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions