Do you have or remeber a Blue Hole

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
Saw a post earlier someone mentioning a blue hole

Seems to be Blue Holes everywhere one i remeber as a kid was right down from my aunts an we would visit before going to cedar point.

The Blue Hole of Castalia
We zig, we zag, almost like a hypertext link on your browser, from the no longer extant Kinsman Inn to one of the most curious public attractions (also gone, gone, gone) known to mankind. I'm sorry, but anyone under 21 would never have heard of (or seen) the very unusual and bizarre tourist attraction called the Blue Hole of Castalia, Ohio. Well, what was it???

bluhole1.jpg

Eons ago, a spring bubbled up to the surface creating a pond. The water was so clear, you could see to the bottom. The story was, however, that the Blue Hole simply did not have a bottom. All the gases in the water (oxygen, carbon dioxide, cheap perfume) disappeared down at some level, perhaps a zillion jillion miles under ground, creating a curious mirror effect. The center of the Blue Hole was a patch of sky blue that was almost luminous even on a grey day (that is, 6 days out of seven in this region). The legend, in the form of scientific prose, went on further to explain that the reflection of the atmosphere's color would always be as blue as the unobscured sky because there was so much blue compared to a relatively thin layer of clouds that a little grey wouldn't spoil anything.

Now as a kid, you swallowed the story hook-line-and sinker. Your parents took you there and you made a science fair project out of it, and went on in your adult life to win the Nobel Prize based upon what you learned there. Oh, and there was a souvenir stand there the size of a football field, I suppose to fund preservation of nature's little miracle. A miracle, that as an adult, you would swear was created by a diver with a can of aqua paint!

That was it, souvenir stand, pond (about 50 feet in diameter) and in later years, the owner opened up an "official fish hatchery" to surround the really nice picnic grounds there. After you saw the hole (the admission price was always rather steep for its day), you could put a quarter in a bubble-gum dispenser and obtain a handful of fish food which you could strew into the hatching streams. The hungry fish would leap out of the water to catch each morsel of the brown, smelly pellets. This, ladies and gentlemen of the new age, was considered the nec plus ultra of childhood living here if you were born before a certain year!!!!!

bluhole2.jpg

Here the throngs of the '30s stood agape at the magnificence and majesty of the Earth Mother, who would open her Blue Eye to the gaze of anybody with the requisite entry fee to the park. "That hole must go down to China", everybody would say, and personally think, "who the heck dived down there and painted those darn rocks, anyhow". To recover from the experience of peering into the earth's bowels, a nice set of grounds connected with boardwalks provided a verdant retreat...

...new apostles of the earth's greatest mystery recovering from the sight of the infinite, a spring without end and without bottom. Or was that a canny property owner with a surplus of aqua paint, a few idle acres, and an excellent imagination. It's gone now...so we'll never know which!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are still with me, I can reveal to you EXACTLY what happened to the Blue Hole. Through the most unusual coincidence...my wife bought cosmetics from a Mary Kay lady who was present at the Sawmill Creek resort one Easter a few years back. The Mary Kay lady was the wife of a Castalia City Council member. The owner of the Blue Hole (just a private owner, not a scientist or anything) went belly-up in the mid-1980s. The city considered briefly taking over the park and re-opening it. However, the realities of the economy deemed that they merely close it. The entrance road was closed, and the big sign over the park entrance removed.
If you go to Castalia, Ohio, today, look for a bare patch of land just north of downtown, behind the buildings. Reminds you of a drive-in that closed, just a patch of bare land that seems like something ought to be there.

Now where i live there is one in the next city
parks1201795231.jpg

Blue Hole is a scenic lagoon bordered by limestone bluffs along the South Fork of the San Gabriel River. It’s located five blocks north of the downtown Square along N. Austin Avenue. The entrance to Blue Hole Park is at W. Second Street and Rock Street. The park features picnic areas, restrooms, and wading areas.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
There's a place close to where I live that also has a pool called the blue hole, but for a different reason. It is fed by a cold mountain spring, and if you wade or swim in it, even in the summer,you will come out looking blue. rockhound

OP
OP
jasonbo

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
Thanks for the additional links I was kinda hoping others would post pics of blue holes around there areas to.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here ya go. I had posted this in the Daily snap shot area the other day. Great story of your blue hole.

Attachments

• 100_2648.JPG
    100_2648.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 13,813

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Jason!

At the San Gabriel Blue Hole (bottom pic), people used to jump off that flat rock on top of the bluffs there.......big fine if you get caught doing it now though. Kid's still dare one another to do it. Some pretty neat goodies were found in the low water underneath that rock during the drought last year :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a teenager a hundred years ago it seems, there was a Blue Hole near a church camp just outside Davis, Oklahoma. It was on a river or large creek and it had high bluffs that you could dive off of and not hit bottom. That is in the southern part of Oklahoma near Turner Falls and Falls Creek Baptist Church Camp, located in the Arbuckle mts.. They didn't allow mixed swimming at the camp, afraid some guy might see a boob or something I guess. Even our preacher thought it was silly so he would load us up in the church bus and we'd drive over to the Blue Hole. I never did see one but that's another story. Wish I had a picture but I don't. Of the swimming hole that is. :laughing9: Monty

I found a picture!

Attachments

• Blue hole.jpg
    Blue hole.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 9,458
OP
OP
jasonbo

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
Monty said:
When I was a teenager a hundred years ago it seems, there was a Blue Hole near a church camp just outside Davis, Oklahoma. It was on a river or large creek and it had high bluffs that you could dive off of and not hit bottom. That is in the southern part of Oklahoma near Turner Falls and Falls Creek Baptist Church Camp, located in the Arbuckle mts.. They didn't allow mixed swimming at the camp, afraid some guy might see a boob or something I guess. Even our preacher thought it was silly so he would load us up in the church bus and we'd drive over to the Blue Hole. I never did see one but that's another story. Wish I had a picture but I don't. Of the swimming hole that is. :laughing9: Monty

I found a picture!

Looks like a great p[lace i did find this and a picture
http://durangotexas.com/eyesontexas/okc/turnerfalls/turnerfalls.htm
turnerfalls19.jpg

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
There are many blue holes around this part of Va. and into Wv. Most of the ones I know are seldom seen and off the beaten track. Beautiful places to take a swim or just unwind. This is my favorite one around here. From the right angle it's deep blue, looks green with all the foliage.

Attachments

• phpk3TOkfPM.jpg
    phpk3TOkfPM.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 934
  • php2jGTKgPM.jpg
    php2jGTKgPM.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 697
  • phpIe4w9bPM.jpg
    phpIe4w9bPM.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 2,737
  • phpk3TOkfPM.jpg
    phpk3TOkfPM.jpg