Do you mark your coins? Should You?

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
General question for all CRH's out their. I just started in on my first box of halves for the weekend(ordered 4) and most of my coins have had a black sharpie maker taken to the edge of them. This tells me I'm hunting through someones dump. How many of you mark coins? Is this a good thing or bad? Just wanting some opinions. - On a side note, I met another CRH at the bank today and he picked up a box of dimes. He said he quit halves a while ago due to the area drying up. I've never found silver in halves yet but plan on still trying for a while. Have a good weekend!

Upvote 0

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, you may want to read that again. Twiasp was in fact, correct. The Code clearly states "fraudulently alters, defaces...". The comma after fraudulently alters, means that anything after that is a new item otherwise it would say fraudulently: Alters, defaces, etc.

We can argue about the placement of a comma or sentence structure all you like but if you read on to the last two sentences in the paragraph published by the United States treasury. It clearly states that they have no policy against this unless your intent is fraudulently alter the coin or currency to miss represent it for a denomination or rare mint mark or further misrepresent its true value. Marking with color there is no policy while its not condoned.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have any brains in statistics you will understand how futile marking coins is.

but by all means.....entertain yourselves and me.

True, in reality you are only marking maybe one coin for every 100,000 or so that were minted (not accurately based on math). On the other hand, if you end up seeing your marks come back to you, it could tell you a lot. By the sound of it, plenty of people have learned a thing or two from marking their coins.

SlowSilver

Aug 2, 2011
Los Angeles
We can argue about the placement of a comma or sentence structure all you like but if you read on to the last two sentences in the paragraph published by the United States treasury. It clearly states that they have no policy against this unless your intent is fraudulently alter the coin or currency to miss represent it for a denomination or rare mint mark or further misrepresent its true value. Marking with color there is no policy while its not condoned.

In the English Language, sentence structure matters. The lack of a colon after the word fraudulently clearly delineates this as an individual item, not a preposition of classification that would cover the entirety of the following dispositions. This is taught in 6th grade English. Additionally if you could please cite your source and the exact quote for the Treasury Statement, you vaguely referred to in your post that would be great, as I was unable to find it anywhere. The only document linked in this thread was 18 USC Sec. 331 as found on the
link provided by twiasp to the US Law Revision Counsel, section of the U.S House of Representatives Website.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
In the English Language, sentence structure matters. The lack of a colon after the word fraudulently clearly delineates this as an individual item, not a preposition of classification that would cover the entirety of the following dispositions. This is taught in 6th grade English. Additionally if you could please cite your source and the exact quote for the Treasury Statement, you vaguely referred to in your post that would be great, as I was unable to find it anywhere. The only document linked in this thread was 18 USC Sec. 331 as found on the
link provided by twiasp to the US Law Revision Counsel, section of the U.S House of Representatives Website. Thanks.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Coins/Pages/edu_faq_coins_portraits.aspx

There's the source. I am sure with your excellent grasp of the English language you will be able to understand the fact that your wrong ;). Have a good day and happy reading.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

link provided by twiasp to the US Law Revision Counsel, section of the U.S House of Representatives Website.
Thanks.

Slowsilver, please take the time to read our rules....... Do not correct someones English unless they ask, do not use large font or bold to shout and emphasize your point, especially when it is used to talk down to or correct someones grammar....

From our rules...................

"Don't "SHOUT" in large type. Use bold, red, or other special type only when necessary. (Exception: birthday greetings, special congratulations, etc.)"

"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone."

"All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.""

Last edited:

SlowSilver

Aug 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Portraits & Designs

There's the source. I am sure with your excellent grasp of the English language you will be able to understand the fact that your wrong ;). Have a good day and happy reading.

With all due respect drcaulfield, I beg to differ. I shall lay out my position as follows.

1.) The U.S. Treasury link you have provided is a summarization referring to the aforementioned Law 18 USC Sec. 331. The treasury is attempting to clarify that they see no legal problem with the resale of coins altered by silver plating, gold plating, post mint stamping etc. as seen by many after market and Home Shopping Network Channels.

2.) You cited "Treasury Policy". Treasury Policy has no relevance as it is not legally binding, because they are neither a part of the legislative or judicial branches, and therefore have no power to either implement or interpret the law.

3.) There are multiple other laws, such as
18 USC CHAPTER 17 etc.. that can be cited that further clarify these issues.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to stop by banks where I know people dump at and then take them to my dump bank, who promptly bags them and ships them out. Less for me to have to deal with later on in my town. :)

I don't see the point of marking either, because taking them to the bank and having another hunter pick them up (like what I do) just messes up the whole point of you marking the coins to begin with.

I just roll them up, mark the wrappers (I line them up and just mark on all of them at once) then dump them off.

To each their own though with marking. I can't stop people from screwing up coins that have value to me or others, so to argue is pointless.

HH
- DS
Clad is just a pain. Most people open proofs and cash them in. most of the new halfs to. so mark away I might start spraying again.??

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slowsilver, please take the time to read our rules....... Do not correct someones English unless they ask, do not use large font or bold to shout and emphasize your point, especially when it is used to talk down to or correct someones grammar....

From our rules...................

"Don't "SHOUT" in large type. Use bold, red, or other special type only when necessary. (Exception: birthday greetings, special congratulations, etc.)"

"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone."

"All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.""
And don't find all the silver leave some for me!!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect drcaulfield, I beg to differ. I shall lay out my position as follows.

1.) The U.S. Treasury link you have provided is a summarization referring to the aforementioned Law 18 USC Sec. 331. The treasury is attempting to clarify that they see no legal problem with the resale of coins altered by silver plating, gold plating, post mint stamping etc. as seen by many after market and Home Shopping Network Channels.

2.) You cited "Treasury Policy". Treasury Policy has no relevance as it is not legally binding, because they are neither a part of the legislative or judicial branches, and therefore have no power to either implement or interpret the law.

3.) There are multiple other laws, such as
18 USC CHAPTER 17 etc.. that can be cited that further clarify these issues.

I have a few trees that need some love would you like to come over this weekend. Am a painter and allways will be. That's how big Poppa rolls...........

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Who said ENGLISH is the official language of T-net or any of this is relevant on the Internet. dont like seein som1 insult my homeslice TimZim.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
None of the bank around me take rolled coin. OK, they take them, but immediately break them open and put them in their machine. I have yet to find on that doesn't and that sucks. No chance to buy those rolls that came from grandpas collection...

Buy the bag from the machine.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Who said ENGLISH is the official language of T-net or any of this is relevant on the Internet. dont like seein som1 insult my homeslice TimZim.

Dawg I can't believe mods are allowing people to insults us and timzim because of the way we talk... This is madness!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread