Do you mark your coins? Should You?

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
General question for all CRH's out their. I just started in on my first box of halves for the weekend(ordered 4) and most of my coins have had a black sharpie maker taken to the edge of them. This tells me I'm hunting through someones dump. How many of you mark coins? Is this a good thing or bad? Just wanting some opinions. - On a side note, I met another CRH at the bank today and he picked up a box of dimes. He said he quit halves a while ago due to the area drying up. I've never found silver in halves yet but plan on still trying for a while. Have a good weekend!

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never marked before but have 2 boxes I'm going to mark several in tonight as I too want to see how long before I see my own dumps-
HH

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful what you wish for, there's a lot of opinions on whether or not to mark coins. People have been banned because of arguing about making coins. I don't mark coins, but occasionally mark the rolls. Really it's your choice, some people do it to see if they're getting any of the coins that they've already seen back.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I am against it, since I may want a coin for my Dansco folder. However, it is a way to track coins.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more coins you mark the better just lay them out and spray them with all the colors of the rainbow. I have sprayed a mil.......... coins. Td made me stop but am thinking of starting again.

OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Be careful what you wish for, there's a lot of opinions on whether or not to mark coins. People have been banned because of arguing about making coins. I don't mark coins, but occasionally mark the rolls. Really it's your choice, some people do it to see if they're getting any of the coins that they've already seen back.

How do you mark the rolls?

OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
The more coins you mark the better just lay them out and spray them with all the colors of the rainbow. I have sprayed a mil.......... coins. Td made me stop but am thinking of starting again.

I like the way these halves were marked. Looks like they held them like a roll and just took a big perm. Marker and went down the sides a couple times. At least as I held them I could see how many silvers I wouldn't be getting! :)

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rewrap everything because I don't have a coin counter, so I just use a Sharpie on the paper roll. I draw a symbol, usually a P or the Greek letter rho.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have any brains in statistics you will understand how futile marking coins is.

but by all means.....entertain yourselves and me.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have any brains in statistics you will understand how futile marking coins is.

I don't want to fight about marking it does help. I know the 50 foot hi pile of coins I marked are almost all gone!! I sleep much better knowing that!! I don't mark am just to busy.

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other

Beg to differ as I have said in other posts. I dumped some coins at a tcf bank on a Monday into a coin counter and received them back from a BoA with my Thursday pickup. Gave me good insight into the turn around time and how many of my dumps I was potentially rechecking.

OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
I rewrap everything because I don't have a coin counter, so I just use a Sharpie on the paper roll. I draw a symbol, usually a P or the Greek letter rho.

None of the bank around me take rolled coin. OK, they take them, but immediately break them open and put them in their machine. I have yet to find on that doesn't and that sucks. No chance to buy those rolls that came from grandpas collection...

OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013

So am I to assume you know where the coins go when they are dumped? What about the size of the city where you live? The coins I dump aren't shipped to another state to be rolled and redistributed, as far as I know. I just assumed that there is a local spot where all the coins are taken to be rolled and distributed. Please correct me if I'm way off base.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I marked both my boxes tonight(both skunks) I plan to see how soon I get them back- ill remark them a second time(won't mark anymore) to give a second round of how long they take to get back to me- just curiosity for me

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have marked coins in the past, about 50-70 have my mark on them ( they have shown up here a couple of times from other hunters posting them), and have sprayed a few batches a long long while back, it took a little while to get any back, now I see a few show up every couple of boxes. It told me how long some of my coins may take to get back to me. I have also recieved boxes that 90% of the coins were marked with the same mark from another hunter, when I get those boxes I basically just consider them marked allready and track the time it takes to get any of those back again. In all honesty, the only real way to get a good time frame on how long and how many you get back is to mark EVERY SINGLE coin you search and then you would know how many of your coins you were getting back, for me that is waaayyy to much trouble, and I can't really change my system, so it wouldn't really make any sense for me to do anymore so I don't. HH, Maverick. This is just my 2 cents, I know this is a tender subject and I am neutral on it.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to stop by banks where I know people dump at and then take them to my dump bank, who promptly bags them and ships them out. Less for me to have to deal with later on in my town. :)

I don't see the point of marking either, because taking them to the bank and having another hunter pick them up (like what I do) just messes up the whole point of you marking the coins to begin with.

I just roll them up, mark the wrappers (I line them up and just mark on all of them at once) then dump them off.

To each their own though with marking. I can't stop people from screwing up coins that have value to me or others, so to argue is pointless.

HH
- DS

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
All the coins you search through are someone's dump. And they searched through a dump, and before that...
Wouldn't it be easier to just name your coins "Mark"?

FAL guy

Feb 5, 2012
OKC, OK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best box so far had about 20% of the coins edge marked with a black magic marker. It looked like mark on the edge of a poker chip. I freaked when I saw the marking in the first roll, but stayed at it and managed 3-90%, 6 40%.

OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
I figure every person who marks has a certain way of going about it. I want to be different so I took my full box of halves (skunked) and drilled a 1/4" hole in each coin. I'll definitely know when I get my coins back. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions