NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you also remember making cap grenades with match heads and 2 bolts and on nut? I never realized we were that dumb. Just got lucky we were never hit by one of those flying bolts. :tard:

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Iused to wrap the heads of matches with aluminum foil, take a straight pin and make a small hole at the back side of the head and then ignite it with another match! Instant "bottle rocket" :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
You really want to blow their minds???

Take a pringles can and make a very small hole, about the size of a dime or pencil at the bottom of the carboard side. Place your finger over it.

Fill the can with the "gas" from a cig lighter. Put the lid back on to keep the gas from escaping.

Squeeze the can slightly, light the lighter and squeeze the can a little, remove your finger from the hole and put the flame by it and let go fo the squeezed can.

POOF, WOOM!!!! The top just blew off and shot across the room!!!!

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I use safer method of whooooosh- pop, when I used to do body repair, some car mouldings would come in lonnnnng cardboard tubes, sometimes up to 8 ft. long. Just tape opposite end shut really good, take stopper out of other end, put one wrap masking tape (to make it snug) then hammer it back in the end. Drill 3/8 inch hole in side of tube near where you taped up end(yup, 7ft. away). And insert airgun into hole and turn on the air quickly (large volume release preffered). Only takes about 10 seconds to build enough pressure, then BOOOOOOOM! out it goes, and the cap does sail over 300ft.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I had a homemade black powder cannon that I bought on the side of the road. The guy made it from 1" thick, heavy duty sewer pipe, about 20" long. He threaded the butt and screwed a plug in and then butt welded it. He mounted it to a couple of heavy duty bearing stands. It looked like a mortar, as the barrel sat at about 45 degrees. It had a 2 1/2" bore and I used to fire the small V8 juice cans filled with cement. I charged it with enough powder to fill a cap off a spray paint can. The police used to spot for me at the beach and they said it was lobbing shots out 800-1000 yards. The chief had his own cannon that he got from Dixie Gun Works. The cops were cool, as long as you were on there side.

But that was in the 70's......The good ol days! I don't know what the laws are like now.

Oh! Yes! I remember those!

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Brady, My cardboard moulding tube was used anytime it got boring in the shop, and would always wake up the boss. Some of the other guys would make tennis ball launchers, with the larger diameter tubes and use acetylene for their propulsion source, cannon made the same way. Now those would wake up mechanics, their building is 200 ft. away from the bodyshop........lol.

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
I used to set up a makeshift cannon on the morning of the 4th of July just to wake
up the town. I would take a balloon, put it over the end of my acetylene torch, fill it
about half with acetylene, then a good squirt of oxygen. I would hook up my
welder lead to piece of galvanized wire (sparks the best) inserted in a 4ft. length
of 6inch pipe, hook the ground up to the pipe itself, insert the balloon, go in
the shop and hit the on switch on the welder and kabooooooooom.
bradyboy said:
I guess im dating myself by asking -
what is it, how was it used?

it is a hand thrown cap popper, you put a cap for a capgun under a spring loaded
contact point and throw it, when it hit whatever, the cap would fire. At least that
is what we used to do with them, I have an unused mint condition one somewhere
in my mountains of stuff.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A very good friend of mine made his cannon barrel with an old 12ga. shotgun barrel, he cut it off to about 12 inches long, drilled a 1/8 inch touch hole in the lower end of it, had the bottom end of it welded shut using a piece of the original barrel. He used his bench vice in his barn to hold it. He would put a short piece of greenie fuze in hole, charge with black powder, put 12 ga. nitro card inside, then pack it in tight, and use whatever he wanted to for projectile. Then he would aim it at old hog slaughtering shed and BAMMMMM! Air conditioning!

mthole

May 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
White xlt e series
I get my bangs with a two litre soda bottle ( plastic ) and some dry ice. A few chunks of whatever you can stuff in the opening. cap it ******** STAND wayyyyyyyy back. BIG BOOM. today is my birthday and I always ask for an icecream cake ( it always comes with dry ice :) :) I think this trick could blow off a hand !!!

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Been there, Done that! A dishwashing liquid bottle works better (plastic one)

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
mthole said:
I get my bangs with a two litre soda bottle ( plastic ) and some dry ice. A few chunks of whatever you can stuff in the opening. cap it ******** STAND wayyyyyyyy back. BIG BOOM. today is my birthday and I always ask for an icecream cake ( it always comes with dry ice :) :) I think this trick could blow off a hand !!!

Happy Birthday Larry.

A buddy of mine used to do that with the smaller plastic bottles. He worked at
a place where they make rubber O rings and other stuff, I guess they used a lot
of dry ice for something there. Anyway he is setting them off and entertaining
everyone. This one guy shows up with a black lab and asks him to set one off,
no one thought it out. The guy loads one up, drops the dry ice in, screws on
the cap and throws it. Well the dog being a good fetcher is after it right off.
We all see what is about to happen and everyone is yelling at the dog to stop.

Well apparently the dog bit it hard enough or there was a leak because it didn't
blow like all the others did, it was a very tense moment seeing the dog bringing
it back in his mouth, we never did it again.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's almost as frustrating as when I used to take my Golden fishing with me. When I cast the line out, she would jump in and bring it back. If I was to get anything done, I would have to tie her to a tree.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another weird post for ya, but very true. It would be a montrous world if all thought alike. Yet how often we set others down as peculiar simply because their ideas do not agree with our own. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread