Do you sell your common silver coins?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you sell your common silver coins from the 1950's and 60's? I've been thinking about selling my more common silver to buy a Garrett Pro pointer and a few accessories for detecting. Is it a good time to sell your silver? There is a company that offers $12 per dollar for silver coins. Is that a good price or can I do better and wait to see if the price of silver gets even better?

However I am wondering if I will regret it later. The silver coins are sitting in a box but it seems hard to part with them for cash after working hard to find them. It is a dilemma indeed. What do you do with your silver? Any advice.

DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally dont sell mine but I understand anybody selling anything that they find including relics..

As far as price goes, $12 per dollar face is WAY TO CHEAP..Maybe close to double that..You probably could get the most from ebay but it has its problems that go with it..

scott

sleepwalker

Mar 30, 2012
Owen County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now me i would sell them to pay off the detector bill......however it is predicted that silver will increase in value....HH

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sterling is PURE silver. A one ounce sterling coin is worth at least the spot price. A US coin that is 60% silver is worth at least 60% spot. Buy a "blue" book of coin values or a red book. Most coin dealers will buy for about 75% spot. Many current silver or gold coins will be listed something like.... bullion plus 4%... or so. Do your homework before giving up ANY coin. BTW: a one ounce walking liberty gold coin looks "lighter" in color than a maple leaf because it is heavier than one ounce. The US adds other metals to strengthen the coin. Canada does not add anything. Your question is NOT dumb. Dumb is not ASKING the question. TTC

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling is PURE silver. A one ounce sterling coin is worth at least the spot price. A US coin that is 60% silver is worth at least 60% spot. Buy a "blue" book of coin values or a red book. Most coin dealers will buy for about 75% spot. Many current silver or gold coins will be listed something like.... bullion plus 4%... or so. Do your homework before giving up ANY coin. BTW: a one ounce walking liberty gold coin looks "lighter" in color than a maple leaf because it is heavier than one ounce. The US adds other metals to strengthen the coin. Canada does not add anything. Your question is NOT dumb. Dumb is not ASKING the question. TTC

Sterling is NOT "PURE silver."

Sterling is 92.5% silver. The vast majority of US silver coins are 90% silver with some being 40% (1965-1970 halves among others) and some being 35% (war nickels). I'm not aware of ANY us coinage being 60% silver??

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't yet - but then again I'm not sure why I keep them. I spend the clad and keep the silver.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its common or clapped out then you might as well sell, though silver has joined gold in taking a drop of late. I remember them forcasting big gains in the silver price several years back and it continued to bump along the bottom for years. People lost thousands in interest in the meanwhile.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sold my sliver back in the 80's...I regret it now. Yea, It may seem worth while for the few bucks you get for it to pay a few bills or whatever, but one day you'll look back and wish you never did.

Al

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Canadian silver is 92.5. So I would assume that is considered sterling since on some jewelry you see "sterling 925".

I'm really debating whether or not I should turn them in. They are just sitting in my box however that being said, it would be a shame to see these coins melted down just for the silver content. Would be nice to get some additional equipment such a Garrett Pro Pointer.. If the price of silver drops, then I'd lose out.

It seems like silver is becoming more in demand for electronics and circuit boards. They say silver is the best conductor of electricity.

Anyway thanks for the info and advice! But I won't be selling for $12 per dollar of silver. That is giving it away! HH

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sterling is NOT "PURE silver."

Sterling is 92.5% silver. The vast majority of US silver coins are 90% silver with some being 40% (1965-1970 halves among others) and some being 35% (war nickels). I'm not aware of ANY us coinage being 60% silver??
Thank you Bazinga, for setting me straight. Goes to show how little I know, or thought I knew about the common content of precious metal coins. I apologize for any misleading or downright false statements made by me. Although not intentional, it is clear my knowledge of coinage is noy correct. TTC

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have heard somewhere sterling has copper added for strength? seems to have a little yellow color?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd probably be happy to get 12 x face for some of my canadian silver, seeing how some of the 1968 canadian coins are only 50%.
Between 1920 and 1966 80% silver.
1967 - 80% and 50% silver.
1968 - 50% silver
and 99% nickel.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fistfulladirt..

That $12 per dollar of silver is pre 1966 and earlier. It is $6 per dollar for 1967 coins and $5 per silver dollar for 1968 coins.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey fistfulladirt..

That $12 per dollar of silver is pre 1966 and earlier. It is $6 per dollar for 1967 coins and $5 per silver dollar for 1968 coins.
Ouch! Spot price would be right around $20 per $1 in coin. Newfie can you shop around for a better price? If you have to sell, ya do what ya gotta do. Good luck.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ouch! Spot price would be right around $20 per $1 in coin. Newfie can you shop around for a better price? If you have to sell, ya do what ya gotta do. Good luck.

Thanks Fistfulladirt...Actually I checked out what the real worth on a site that calculated the value. You are right..I'd be taking a heavy loss...Think I may hold on to the silver awhile longer and see what happens..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread