Do you think this is real silver?

kmaldona

Greenie
Mar 31, 2011
00a0a_h9Gg8RoDeBT_600x450.jpg 00y0y_f1a1vHWrmm_600x450.jpg 00808_1Jq1CEb93iw_600x450.jpg 00C0C_ewapQzBmKbz_600x450.jpg

Does that look silver? I never bought anything like this but seller is asking $100. I would need to see if there are hallmarks right? Seller says " Silver tea pot with serving trays"

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, if it were all sterling you are looking at $1000's in value. Old saying, "if it's too good to be true then it's not".

Maybe there are some sterling pieces mixed in but I would look for pieces marked sterling and stay away from EPNS, nickel silver.

There are certain makers whose silver plate has some value. Especially, old English Sheffield Plate but you need to know the hallmarks. Another that has scrap value is silver on copper for its copper scrap weight.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can test those pieces with a strong magnet, and then a acid test... goodluck!
Or you could just look at the hallmarks. Much easier and more effective. Most silverplate is not magnetic to begin with.

Yes, if real there is a couple thousand (minimum) in value there with those tea sets.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like real Silver to me, it's a very bright shiney colour.

SS

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without looking at the hallmarks, I would say plate.Turn them over and take some pictures of the Hallmarks and then they can be be better identified, Goodluck!.........Scott.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the second picture on the cake server you can see the sticker which looks like a silverplated sticker. I think that's all silverplated good luck

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Almost guaranteed to be silver plate and it's more than likely Rogers or Reed & Barton
It's still a good deal for resale, as I would buy it since most of the set is complete.
If it's sterling it will be stamped sterling

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread