New here ... identifying vintage pieces

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi. I've been lurking in this forum. I am fairly new to these treasures I've been finding. A friend has been teaching me for months how to find gold in the thrift and jewelry shops. I've been doing well, but I have also picked up some "boo-boo"s. I have gotten many jars that are full of stuff. Most of it I have been consigning at the local consignment shops. The last jar had a few pieces that look vintage. How do I know? No hallmark, but I have a really good eye for this. I've tried looking up online, as well as the two books I got from the library (both were worthless). Is there a way to tell? Is there anyone I can take it to locally?

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Not gold. That I can do. I talking about vintage necklaces, rings, etc. How do I know I am not doing what others are doing, and getting rid of vintage pieces that are worth a lot? Most of it is junk, but a few pieces have me wondering. I've never seen bakelite before. So how will I recognize it if I see it? get it?

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I started a bakelite thread, do the search and see theres a lot to identify, including the 409 test, I guess just keep posting here and learning like I do.. What pieces make you wonder the most?

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
2014-01-26 00.04.56.jpg
The one on the right is what attracted me to that jar. The clasp is gold filled. The beads are glass, I believe. One is missing and one is broken. The one on the left is similar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread