Does any one else do this?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do this when I'm detecting on non public property, and time is an issue. Instead of digging each time I get a hit, I just mark it with a small survey flag ( its a small flag on a wire ) that can be purchased from Harbor Freight in bundles. :male:

After I have used about a dozen, I can then put my detector down and just go back with my pinpointer and digger and dig all the hits. 8) This seems to save a lot of time when you have a lot of ground to cover. ;D

Sometimes I may hunt the area using red flags for coins then before digging, change the discrimination setting and go back over the same area using orange flags. Which then lets you know by your finds how to fine tune your settings! only thing is, you have to be careful about getting too close to the wire flags already placed, with your search coil. :-[

Has anyone else tried this? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Buddy~

Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought of doing it before, just have never gotten around to picking up some of those survey flags.
It definitely sounds like it will save some time, especially if your going back over the spots with an electronic probe to retrieve your finds!

Bran <><

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:
yes but i use the flag to mark a spot with good finds as you mentioned
but its kind of a pain carrying them around im a high speed low drag kind of guy
when i hunt a field ill use it at either end as a reference to were i stopped and started then move over a few rows

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other issue is that I'd want to be able to recheck every hole--so I'd need to carry the detector around anyhow.

:icon_scratch:

But I do use those flags for boundary markers for the edges of a good iron patch in a wide open field. :wink:

-Buck

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleElf said:
The other issue is that I'd want to be able to recheck every hole--so I'd need to carry the detector around anyhow.

-Buck

Hmm, good point.

Bran <><

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
BuckleElf said:

-Buck

Hmm, good point.

Bran <><

Fair enough. I'M sure you could get a deeper signal by using your detector rather than the limited depth of the pinpointer. If time were not an issue.

Buddy~

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here is my take on this....
You said, "non-public" land or space for hunting...
does this mean you have permission or not... if not you may end up leaving all your signals for someone
else when you get run off....

On the other hand, I used to carry Golf Tee's with me that were not green but maybe Orange or White and
when I got a questionable signal in a playground or ballfield I could stick one of those in the ground and
later come back to see if I really wanted to dig it, or like you post out many signals and then come back and dig them.
I got tired of this after a while, so I stopped, I also had a hard time seeing the golf tee's in the grass...
But they were easy to carry and I could fit many in my fanny pack..

Another use for this method of course is if you have a partner and you know you can stay, is that each of you get
a different color and when you get a signal you know you would dig, plug it....
and your partner does the same, after an hour see who has more plugs....
check each others plugs ..... (these golf tee's are made of wood, so no detector interferance there)
and see who has the most targets and see if each others detectors will pick up all the signals of the other guy...

In this way you can truly "test" detectors to see if your partner is finding more because his machine is better or if its
just that he hunts better and both machines would have picked up all targets equally...

Something I have always had an issue with is people saying "My machine is better because I find more stuff than
everyone else..."
but in this way you can see if your friends detector would have found all the same targets as you and vise versa..

Most of the time I have found that my machine would have found all the same signals as my partners did,
so he just hunted better than me....

Anyway...

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two different color poker chips one for low conductors and the other for high...

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input TORRERO :) Good idea about the partner thing. :thumbsup:

TORRERO said:
Well here is my take on this....
You said, "non-public" land or space for hunting...
does this mean you have permission or not...
Well I said non public because I am uncomfortable sticking flags all over a park or public venue. I always get permission to hunt on private land.
TORRERO said:
I got tired of this after a while, so I stopped, I also had a hard time seeing the golf tee's in the grass...

The flags are very easy to see and aren't that hard to carry in my over the shoulder knap sack a la Indiana Jones (see avatar) Its also great for putting your finds in.

I don't do this every time. But was just curious if anyone else has tried it.

Buddy~

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
No I haven't, because I'm usually too excited when I get a repeatable signal, especially in the areas I hunt in.
I have thought about carrying a few of those flags with me to grid an area though.
Happy Holidays!
Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes carry a few golf tees that I spray painted dayglo orange. They really stick out against the bare ground or grass. Monty

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a bag of brightly colored golf tees for about a dollar. They are light and the wood does not interfere with the signal. I use different colors to mean different things. Sometimes they are handy to have in the pouch. Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread