Greenie
Feb 14, 2014
Biloxi, MS.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 3000/d
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be 46 next month, and I've been around metal detectors since the mid 70's, and I've never heard anyone use the terms "juice" or "nectar" until I saw that show diggers, where the guys jump around like broke dick dogs over a penny or dime.. Has anyone else heard these terms before? My dad had an old White's that was huge, and I was the bag holder for years, and he never said stuff like that....

Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mercs, Wheaties, zincolns...naw, Ive never heard someone use slang detecting terms. :tongue3:

Right, I'm goin..."coin shootin"...and..."dirt fishin"...for some..."shineys"... with my..."machine"...gonna notch out all them..."poptops"... and all that..."canslaw"...too...Probably do some ..."eye-balling"...as well...might even check the ..."tot lot"...and dig all the..."iffys"...maybe I'll get some..."color"... or some..."925"..."Keepers".

Lookindown is right! nobody uses made up slang here!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right, I'm goin..."coin shootin"...and..."dirt fishin"...for some..."shineys"... with my..."machine"...gonna notch out all them..."poptops"... and all that..."canslaw"...too...Probably do some ..."eye-balling"...as well...might even check the ..."tot lot"...and dig all the..."iffys"...maybe I'll get some..."color"... or some..."925"..."Keepers".

Lookindown is right! nobody uses made up slang here!

That slang has been around a very long time, it wasn't just made up for a show....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When they find something , they raise more hell than a monkey on a nine foot chain !

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
That slang has been around a very long time, it wasn't just made up for a show....

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
Agreed and we don't overdo it by using the same lame comments every time just for the "wow factor" as they say on Storage Wars... lol. Now step away from the computers and go out and find some pulltab "nectar".... It may have come from General Custer's last beer....

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their slang was used before the show. I'm glad that they are unique and quirky, because I enjoy individuals. Those guys realize that some people are negative towards their lingo, and here is what they had to say about it:

"It's our own language. It's how we talk because it's pretty funny sometimes. People that "get it" from all over the world have sent us gaggles of home videos and emails that use and contribute to our ever-evolving "ATC Dictionary". We love it! Even better, we've had countless laughs watching everyone else get all worked up into a snit over it. Seriously, dude... a sense of humor and an appreciation for history are not mutually exclusive in ATC Land. In fact, I'd be willing to venture that most ATC members appreciate the unearthing and historical significance of day to day finds as much or more than any of the tightly-buttoned office stiffs complaining about our vernacular. No one says you have to use or like this lingo. They are just words, acronyms, and phrases just like other "real" words. All words, including those in the ATC universe, were created by humans. And yes, although there is some anthropological doubt, we here at ATC, are also human beings. Therefore, get on board or stay on shore and get left behind in Boring World."

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed and we don't overdo it by using the same lame comments every time just for the "wow factor" as they say on Storage Wars... lol. Now step away from the computers and go out and find some pulltab "nectar".... It may have come from General Custer's last beer....
So, the slang terms you use are ok but there is something wrong with the ones they choose to use...that's an open minded way of thinking...sheeesh.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their slang was used before the show. I'm glad that they are unique and quirky, because I enjoy individuals. Those guys realize that some people are negative towards their lingo, and here is what they had to say about it:

"It's our own language. It's how we talk because it's pretty funny sometimes. People that "get it" from all over the world have sent us gaggles of home videos and emails that use and contribute to our ever-evolving "ATC Dictionary". We love it! Even better, we've had countless laughs watching everyone else get all worked up into a snit over it. Seriously, dude... a sense of humor and an appreciation for history are not mutually exclusive in ATC Land. In fact, I'd be willing to venture that most ATC members appreciate the unearthing and historical significance of day to day finds as much or more than any of the tightly-buttoned office stiffs complaining about our vernacular. No one says you have to use or like this lingo. They are just words, acronyms, and phrases just like other "real" words. All words, including those in the ATC universe, were created by humans. And yes, although there is some anthropological doubt, we here at ATC, are also human beings. Therefore, get on board or stay on shore and get left behind in Boring World."
Boy, that sums it up pretty good...doesn't sound like something two morons would say does it.

hightonehunter

Oct 21, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Elite 2200( First Texas ), Garrett pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta make the Garrett commercial.......oops......I mean Diggers show interesting somehow. To me metal detecting IS exciting but I'd say its hard to show that on a TV show, lets face it ALOT of time this hobby is digging up trash. I`m 51 and if I jumped around like KG and Ringy do on the show I'd probably have to stay in bed the next day.......LOL

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get the show and wished I could. I know I enjoyed the few shows I was able to view on youtube. Their antics crack me up.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm kind of partial to their Howard Dean screams.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
But you see the "WOW Factor' saying has been around for years and i have heard it used many years ago……. But the words they use are just plain ridiculous and just used by them for the show..

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
So, the slang terms you use are ok but there is something wrong with the ones they choose to use...that's an open minded way of thinking...sheeesh.
Don't get me wrong. I think it's great that those guys have friends like you watching their backs. Hell I imagine they even pop in here now & then and read this junk. Maybe they are great guys. Maybe I'd buy them a beer. I think ALOT of us are just burned out by TV "reality" shows that are completely staged. Think about it. Pickers is staged, Storage Wars is staged, I have personally met the guys from American Chopper and alot of the fights are staged, etc. Some of us just want to watch an intelligent documentary type show that focuses on facts rather than ratings. These guys find more good stuff in one hole than some of us find in a year.. Really ? EVERY time they go out ? Anyway I wish them the best. Most of us can only dream of getting paid good money for doing something we enjoy and they certainly also have the keys to some gates none of us could ever open through their "connections".

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

.. TH … Is right on there the words we use are really words that have been used by ones metal detecting for years and some by coin collectors……… The words they use are just to get children to watch there show like i said before it is more of a child's show than a adult's show..AGAIN i quit watching metal detecting shows and reality shows … They just turn me off with all the phony things in them that is put on as real..

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter to me, I'm old school, if I don't like what's on I change the channel, I want badmouth what others enjoy watching..

Well a little maybe behind their backs.. LOL

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they have all these terms like they have been detecting since the beginning of time and I was saying something about the one guy finding his first large cent and I guess it was a guy on here that knows him saying well from the state he's from large cents are almost impossible to find. That's well and good and all but if that's the case how did they come up with the term colon for colonial if in their state they have a hard time even finding a large cent.

Last edited:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any one of us were to talk with someone from the 1800's, they would likely be confused and disoriented by many of the words and phrases we use today. Language evolves over time, and various slang terms have to come from somewhere, they don't just magically appear. It has been my observation that people who are older have a much harder time accepting change. I imagine I will be in the same situation, many years from now. But for now, I choose to evolve and be accepting of new things. I have even used a few ATC terms when talking about metal detecting, because I think its funny.

To me, the "Digger" antics are about passion. Even if some things are scripted, you can't deny the passion for the hobby that is seen in their eyes. With that in mind, I could care less about what specific word they use to describe something.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If any one of us were to talk with someone from the 1800's, they would likely be confused and disoriented by many of the words and phrases we use today. Language evolves over time, and various slang terms have to come from somewhere, they don't just magically appear. It has been my observation that people who are older have a much harder time accepting change. I imagine I will be in the same situation, many years from now. But for now, I choose to evolve and be accepting of new things. I have even used a few ATC terms when talking about metal detecting, because I think its funny.

To me, the "Digger" antics are about passion. Even if some things are scripted, you can't deny the passion for the hobby that is seen in their eyes. With that in mind, I could care less about what specific word they use to describe something.

I have often thought about what it would be like to awaken someone from the 1700-1800s and talk to them. Just imagine what they would say about our technology...

sent from a potato...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have often thought about what it would be like to awaken someone from the 1700-1800s and talk to them. Just imagine what they would say about our technology...

sent from a potato...

I have thought the opposite, take people today and drop them in mid 1700s west of the Mississippi river see how well they survive...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have thought the opposite, take people today and drop them in mid 1700s west of the Mississippi river see how well they survive...

I bet few would survive.

sent from a potato...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread