Does anyone have a fisher gold bug 2 PRO beginner video for gold only?

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
You will be digging all manner of trash (all Gold Optimised detectors find a lot of stuff, and they tend to have little in the way of discrimination built in - at most iron/non-iron guesses, and even that can be meaningless depending on the ground mineralization or what your gold happens to right next to). Dig everything and remove trash as you go. You will find all manner of relics no matter what - it is what happens when you hunt for gold with a detector.

Ground Balencing is critical - so find someone that can teach you how to do it - over time, it will become 2nd nature.

If you are able to find small lead bird shot, you are probably doing a good job - gold is hard to find, and many places are heavily hunted with gold detectors. Get a few tiny samples of gold (attached to a plastic poker chip - not a clay one, these tend to be hot rocks to your detector) and practice finding them in the area you will be hunting (after you have ground balenced your detector).

The gold glued to a poker chip makes the sample harder to lose.

I don't use a Gold Bug II, but I do use the Whites VSat and GMT detectors - They work very much the same way, but are not as sensitive to tiny gold as the GBII. If you start finding small/tiny flakes, that is a clue to dig the ground and either pan it or consider running the soil thru a sluice instead of trying to pick out out all the tiny pieces (a lot of people don't consider that option - I use my gold detectors to find places to process more material with water based tools - you tend to find pay streaks that look like a waste of time if you are only trying to get results with just a detector).

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never ever no way start detecting by nugget shooting as failure almost 100% guaranteed and that righteous unit will fast become a closet queen fulla dust. You can't fly till ya learn how to walk first-John

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to a shooting shop or gun range and pick up some lead shot. 6.... 7's are small enough. Mash one or two flat use it as a target. I have mine laminated into one of those sheets (hot lamination sheet) so I can bury it PRECISLY how deep I want it. Then, after fine tuning the detector, I simply pull the sheet out of the ground without having to re-dig it. I have done this with gold and other targets. Go slow. It took me more than a year to find my first gold with my GB2. Don't give up! TTC

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I looked on you-tube, and also can't find any vids for gold prospecting using the GB pro. It's an interesting machine as the controls totally change function depending on which mode you are using. I don't have a problem with the all metal mode for gold prospecting, but am all at sea with the disc mode as I never tried to use this function on the other detectors I have had. Luckily there are a few vids using the pro for relics etc.
With gold prospecting, just use the manual recommended settings to practice, with a small bit of gold glued to a poker chip - vary depth that you bury it, try some different soil types and practice ground balancing. Then use more gain to get extra sensitivity as you become used to it. Then go to where the gold is and practice a little more, take your poker chip and try finding it in that ground. Keep doing this every now and then to be sure you have the settings right.
Most of your finds will probably come from good research, and prospecting in places where the gold is likely to be found, usually places where the bedrock is shallow. A good technique, with the coil low and slow is very important too. Read all the prospecting tips you can on here and elsewhere, keep at it long enough and maybe you will get there. If you get someone with experience to take you with them, you will take weeks off the learning time. Good luck Nuggy

dragonfly

Aug 15, 2012
I haven't really found the best videos for using the GB 2 myself. I have been using mine though to the best of my ability. I am on a possible hard rock target, and I bought a high torque cordless drill and a core bit to take core samples this weekend. I will post up my results as they come in. This is what I uncovered, and getting readings from 45 to 70 in disc mode (set to 40). This spot had a layer of Schist above it that was maybe a half inch thick crust. Very unique looking stuff that I have not yet encountered in the area I covered the last few months. I have a small business so I hardly have the time to do it once or three times a month. But I have been using google earth and being systematic about my searching.

image-3012131305.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread