Input on Eureka vs. Other???

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
I am looking at purchasing two metal detectors for nugget hunting. One if for myself, the other for my adult son. The plan is to hunt together. Since I do not have the resources to buy an expensive Minelab, I'm thinking of a Eureka. As for the other, I don't know. Thought that maybe buying two machines that would compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Please weigh in on the Eureka and other gold detectors. I value opinions tested in the field. Thank you.

Upvote 0

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on utube for videos of Eureka and others being used.
Eureka has quite a few negative comments if you look for reviews on the net. I had one, but didn't really use it a lot, I didn't like it much, though it was a very sensitive machine, well capable of finding tiny nuggets in the right hands. The warbling threshold tone annoyed me, as did the non waterproof coil.
The Gold Bug Pro I have now is lighter, packs down smaller, and is way more versatile, as it has another mode - that is good for coins and relics too.
Another alternative would be to look for a good condition older model PI Minelab - such as a gp extreme, or sd 2200. These will out do any vlf detector in gold fields soils, and can be bought for really good prices now, try ebay.
The amount of learning that is really needed to be successful at gold detecting is what makes it very difficult for most newbies, especially if they have no previous gold fossicking experience.
A couple of full days detecting without a single find can be very hard on the ego too, and it will carry on like that without a lot of knowledge. It can be done by putting in a lot of time learning and researching and hooking up with an experienced gold detectorist. Lot of knowledge on this site, free for the reading. Good luck Nuggy

Last edited:

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Starsplitter, If you are going to be hunting together I would go with an earlier model Minelab PI, 2100, 2200, 3000 and I would have aVLF. The Eureka Gold is a fine vlf and I have literally found pounds of gold with the several I have had over the years. They will find small sub grainers and will work at 12 to 14 inch depth on larger pieces. If it was my call I would settle on a 3000 and a Gold Bug Pro. There have been some good deals on 3000's all around lately, you just have to look. Check with the Minelab dealers in Arizona. Arizona Outback,Rob Allisons Nuggethunting and Bill Southerns Nuggetshooting I think they all carry fisher products also. The GB Pro is a killer VLF to with a PI. Depending on your location check the VLF,s a bit more. Some seem more suited to varying types of ground than others. I have used my GB Pro in Northern California, Arizona and Nevada and have had no problems with performance. Just my opinions. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys I just reread what I wrote and noticed that for some reason the GB Pro came up in different coloring sort of as an add. I did not do this as I do not sell stuff. If this is a new feature it is very misleading and I do not care for it. But I do stand by what I wrote. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread