Does anyone out there have "Dating Buttons" by Warren Tice?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone out there have "Dating Buttons" by Warren Tice?

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me. I find a lot of old buttons while MDing, but most seem to fall into the Civilian category rather then Military buttons. I have purchased three big name button books now, but they really don't help much for IDing these Civilian buttons. My question is.........
Does someone out the have a copy of the out of print "Dating Buttons" book by Warren Tice?
If so, would it be worth me tracking a copy down to ID buttons like these attached pictures?
Are they in the book?
Is there a book out there that would ID civilian buttons?
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 324
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 278
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 540
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 269
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 221

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Yes and Yes

Yes I have it, and yes it will help you date buttons like the ones you have posted here. Tice gives lots of examples of manufacture types (solder, seams, back-marks, front designs/patterns) of various civilian buttons. So that even if you didn't find an exact match (since, of course, there are un-limited designs and variations of civilian buttons), you could at least hone down the "look" of your button, to get it within a 10 to 30 yr. time-frame.

Military buttons though, had specific countries, states, branches, ranks, years of motiffs, etc... So they have separate guide books. But their manufacture styles (clasp, seams, etc....) will be in line with the "Dating buttons" book, as far as general dating.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Yes and Yes

Tom_in_CA said:
Yes I have it, and yes it will help you date buttons like the ones you have posted here. Tice gives lots of examples of manufacture types (solder, seams, back-marks, front designs/patterns) of various civilian buttons. So that even if you didn't find an exact match (since, of course, there are un-limited designs and variations of civilian buttons), you could at least hone down the "look" of your button, to get it within a 10 to 30 yr. time-frame.

Military buttons though, had specific countries, states, branches, ranks, years of motiffs, etc... So they have separate guide books. But their manufacture styles (clasp, seams, etc....) will be in line with the "Dating buttons" book, as far as general dating.

Thanks so much for the info Tom.
-Doug-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread