How much Treasure is out there

meathead

Greenie
Jan 16, 2008
North Of Tampa
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
Like to say Hi.

Getting a X-Terra 70 next week- was wondering am I to late or is there still a lot of old coins out there.
I live in Florida so I have the beaches, but wish I lived back in south Dakota where every small town has a 100 year old church and a 75 year old school. Just tell me you guys and gals have left enough out there for us late comers

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
World Wide , Probably a few Billion Dollars worth.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Don't worry the coins are still out there, its just harder to find them. Most of the easy spots are picked pretty clean (but not hunted out!). If you look hard you may find a spot that was not hunted and could yield more. Don't forget that people lose old coins even today, so hunt everywhere you can to further increase your chances.
HH,
Donny

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
There is still plenty of treasure out there to be found. There are still caches of coins buried years ago and forgotton about. Especially with farmers, they did not trust banks and hid money on their property. They sometimes hid it in direct site of a kitchen or bedroom window, so that they could keep an eye on it. Hope it helps.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. . . like "djabend" said, there's still A LOT of good things out there.

When I got back into MD hunting last summer, I couldn't believe the amount of coins that people can loose. . . I would be VERY surprised if you didn't find a coin or two or even something more interesting during your first hunt at a beach-side park.

Good luck when you get your new detector!
watercolor

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as there are people around to lose coins and jewelry, there will always be treasure to find. I would say an endless supply, you just have to know where to look. ??? :-\ ;D

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to local high school 3 times with no detector, just my eyes...over 6' off the ground, and haven't been skunked yet. Can't wait to get a detector. Still studying which to buy.

OP
OP
meathead

meathead

Greenie
Jan 16, 2008
North Of Tampa
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
I guess I am a little bummed right now, after I invest in a MD I find out my county and counties around do not allow MD in parks.
you would think I would of looked into that, but I just did not think that MD would not be allowed in public places. Now I wish I was back on South Dakota, but at least I have the beaches in Florida to go to.But now thinking maybe should of got more of a water MD then the X70 I bought. :-[

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Hey Meathead, where north of Tampa. Florida history predates most other states. Having lived in Clearwater and in north Florida by Cedar Key and knowing the area you have a menagerie of places to detect, today!. It is many degrees below zero where you want to go. There are hundreds of farms, old schools an old churches that are not in the crusty old city types clutches. Almost all of the little towns going up the west coast have old parks that are probably within a 2 hour drive. Try the little town of Inglis just north of Crystal River. Have detected in Cedar Key on the beach and cashed in. I visit my brother in Clearwater and hit all the smaller beaches north of Clearwater. Have fun!

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those who claim to be 'in the know' say there are more coins in the ground than are in circulation. Think about it.

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Must still be some...I just found this two weeks ago ::)

Attachments

• 1887Morgan.jpg
    1887Morgan.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 1887Morgan.jpg
    1887Morgan.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 370

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CWnut said:
Those who claim to be 'in the know' say there are more coins in the ground than are in circulation. Think about it.

Think about it.
We have been using coins since the Colonial Days of Colonization,
We have been Minting Coins for over 200 years.
Coins in circulation here have average dates from the Last 50 Years

Today most Americans seem to Despise coins. even machines are converting to bills.
most change goes into change jars, or automobile ash trays etc.
And Kids Throw them away more then you think.

If somone drops a coin it is too much work to
bend over & pic it up, Or Too Time Consuming.

Yes years ago people didn't loose as Much but you got
almost 500 years of losses to the last 50 years of
Just not Caring.

and that's just the U.S. ;)

And not counting caching out of Fear. Etc.

And Don't forget those Relics.
Some are worth More then all the Coins you can find in a Lifetime.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I have heard from some people on different forums, that there is more coins still in the ground than in circulation today.
If that had even half the truth to it, that is a lot of coins to find!!!!!!

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are out there for sure. Here are some clad coins that I found just in city parks and school yards since I retired a few years ago. Not counting all the junk I found. Plus some nice silver and a few indian heads. Like they say people are to lazy to bend over and pick up loose change. I found more quarters in school yards in 2007 then any year before. Now seems like kids are to lazy to bend over and pick up a quarter. Coins are out there, thats for sure. Good hunting

Attachments

• M.D. coins.jpg
    M.D. coins.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 344
  • M.D. coins.jpg
    M.D. coins.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 331

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off the top of your head without Research
Name 10 Things you can Buy with a Quarter
these days.

That is the Problem.

People don't think "that may Pay the Taxes on My next Trip
to the Store" or "19 more I'll have $5.00". All they think is "it's only a Quarter" :P

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Do your research!!! I have found ghost town all over, including North of Tampa. Sometimes you need to think outside the box.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound like your giving up already.. like Neil said, research... and remember this..
NEVER NEVER GIVE UP

OP
OP
meathead

meathead

Greenie
Jan 16, 2008
North Of Tampa
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
No I am not giving up I just got to throw the detector in the car and start driving around, I have thought of a couple spots already. Drove down to one beach today to check it out and I seen that it was low tide and on the road out to the beach you could park and walk 200 yards out when the tide is low.

I just have a hard time seeing rules about no detecting in county parks, when the county parks where I live have a problem of men going there and paying to have sex with each other, you would think they have bigger problems then worrying about metal detecting.
I did email the parks director and ask him when I get my detector could I MD in certain parks we will see what he says, you have to get him to ok it.

going to start in the yard this week then move on to bigger, so if there is anyone in the spring hill/ Brooksville FL. area and want to go detecting with someone new let me know.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
You are thinking about this way to much. You are close to Dunnelon and Crystal River and Inglis. Find a city park and go for it. Used to do arts and craft shows in this towns, most of which were held in their parks. None of them that I can remember that were posted with metal detecting laws. If someone stops you, just be nice and leave. Have fun with it, it is a hobby and a way to get outdoors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread