Does anyone use a bounty hunter?

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
New to the hunt,
I've always wanted a metal detector, but didn't feel I could justify buying one (wasn't addicted yet). My fiance's mother decided to buy one for me for Christmas. It's a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. I did a lot of research before she bought it, but I hadn't found this place to ask. So, now I am wondering, anyone else use them? I found this indian head the fisrt day, and have found an 1860's silver spoon, but it seems to all be at 4", or 5" max. Anyone getting better depth than me (with a $300 BH that is)? Then again, I've only been out when it was freezing and haven't had much patients for truly learning my BH yet.
Anyway, thanks for reading, and in advance for replies.

~Tom

Attachments

• firstindianheadpenny 004.jpg
    firstindianheadpenny 004.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 419
  • firstindianheadpenny 004.jpg
    firstindianheadpenny 004.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 414
  • firstindianheadpenny 005.jpg
    firstindianheadpenny 005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 398

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas
Re: Does anyone use a bounty hunter? (please don't make fun:)

ashleysflyr,

I wouldn't worry about anyone making fun. You've already found an Indian Head, and silver! Welcome to Tnet. There is a wealth of information here, and many helpful, knowledgeable people. Happy hunting,

1960Texan

bruizr

Feb 4, 2006
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, 'big bud' by bounty hunter, aqua vision

i bought a bounty hunter 'big bud' 20 years ago and it's still working great. try keeping your discrimination as low and sensitivity as high as soil conditions will allow it to and review your manual frequently.
great finds-you're in the zone. dig all the nickel and pull tab signals as that is what most gold items read as. welcome and good luck, bruizr

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

Bounty hunter is not a bad machine. The more you practice the better you will get. Montana Jim uses a bounty hunter and finds some amazing items. Looking forward to seeing some more of your finds.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to the forum and hobby. Don't worry about people making fun of your detector as everyone has to start somewhere. BH will find stuff as you've found out. Five or six inches is OK and not all good coins are deeper either. The main thing to do is to overlap your sweeps by at least half so the bottom of the coils field "sees" all the ground down there.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

Thanks all, and thanks for the tip sandman, all tips welcome:)

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to TN and metal detecting. I don't think anyone will make fun of you here. The fact that you are digging 4-5 inches shows you that your metal detector is doing it's part. Now for your part. Every metal detector has a learning curve. Even seasoned pros can't pick up an unfamiliar detector and be 100% efficient with it. It takes time to learn it. You don't say if you are using headphones or not. They will help you hear those more subtle sounds of deeper targets. The loud signals are well within the range of your detectors capabilities. It's the marginal signals that are almost out of range that the untrained ear doesn't hear. Many beginners get frustrated and quit the hobby because they don't allow themselves the time to learn to listen to their detector. So without getting too long winded, Just allow yourself time to learn before getting too frustrated with your detector or yourself.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I have a Bounty Hunter and I cant tell you how much I like it. It was one of my first machines and I am glad...because it really taught me how to hunt . I like the fact that the tones are right on and you cannot beat it for depth. Even now when I know that I am in the right area and the other machines wont pick up a signal...I will take the Bounty huntr out and search and always find the target.....Cheyenne almost aways uses it now and finds great stuff all the time ....So I am and will remain a big fan of them....You just have to learn what it is telling you.

F

Felinepeachy

Ask Montana Jim. ;D

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter

;DHi Tom, I am real new at MDing and bought a Bounty Hunter at a Fast Cash store for $100.00 (brand new). So far I like it, and until I get really good or rich I'm going to stck with it.Like Gypsy said you have to ex-spare-ment with the different sounds.Idig

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

I was kinda unsure about the bounty hunter myself when I first started. My first silver coin "1936 mercury dime" was found with that machine and countless other goodies. Wait till everything thaws out and then get out there and learn the machine. I believe you will fall into the realm of addicted in no time!! 8)

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have three Bounty Hunters, all bought used.
The settings should not only match the soil, but the type of area you are searching (park, sports complex, relic area). In my part of MO (South Central) there are a lot of rocks. For that reason I also recommend a pinpointer since the probing is difficult. Up in Northern MO the soil is better, so it depends on where you're from.
I've gotten mercs (silver dimes) from deeper than 6" with my BH Tracker II, and larger coins/medallions from 8" or more, so your's should have the capability to go deeper!
It takes a while, but listen to the tones and familiarize yourself with them so you can learn what type of item makes what sound.
"bruizr" is dead on about settings. The more you want to find the lower the Discrimination setting and higher the Sensitivity. Gold is going to make a similar sound to tin foil (and most nickles) too, so if you want to find gold you'll have to dig a lot of crap readings.
Going out consistently and learning your machine is the key. If things are getting boring, to stay interested you might want to coin shoot around playgrounds, concession stands and carnival/fairground sites, so you'll find more stuff. Relic and cache hunting can get disappointing, so vary your searches to maintain the feeling of accomplishment. I've paid for my units many times over in the last few years just hunting clad (coins) for an hour or two a few times a week. And don't forget to enjoy the bizarre and unusual finds, and share them with the folks on this forum!!! They'll keep your enthusiasm level up!

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax

I've used much lesser models than your bounty hunter no member here laughed once they might have given me advice to up grade at some point.

So welcome to tnet and good luck post your finds and storys and in the beginning to you know your machine dig every thing

good luck

Sir

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm sure Montana Jim will reply to this post soon...

But here's my two cents. Part of it may be *where* you're hunting. For a few hunts, I was convinced that I wasn't getting more than 4 inches depth on my Tesoro--but then I realized that I was hunting on plowed fields where small items continually get plowed up to the surface. Turns out that I WAS getting good depth with my machine.

That said, take the time to learn your detector. If you don't, you'll be missing nice items every time you go out.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11

My first detector was a BH 500. No one here laughed at me. You've found some great stuff already. Learning your machine is the best advice you have been given. I still love my BH. My husband uses it now and he has found tons of change. Even a pocket spill.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others

I didn't read everyone else's post, but here is something to consider;

Most Bounty Hunters now are running with less gain (power) than many other detectors.

There is a really good plus side to this though, that being that in some certain soils such as crushed rock parking lots (like in taverns, or out-of-town commuting parking areas) you will be at a distinct advantage using the Bounty Hunter. Although I own almost as many detectors as I have birthdays, when I go to these site I always grab my Bounty Hunter and my Compass Scanner. Both of these detectors can have their sensitivity reduced to a low enough level that they often find fine wire gold and silver rings lost from the drunks who get in and out of their cars, or the people who are in a hurry to board their ride. The reason that lower sensitivity works so well and so much better than a higher-powered one is because it does not see the soil as such a big threat to be discriminated against (ground balance is nothing more than an initial discriminator). In other words, the soil bothers a low-level sensitivity detector less than a high-level sensitivity detector. These are the very best kinds of detectors to use in these situations, especially when the soil is high in iron ores.

Congratuations on your finds, you are a bonifide detectorists, and a successful one too. Believe it or not, my favorite detector of all times is the one I paid 50 cents for at a swap meet. It is a simple turn-on-and-tune-to-threshold Chinese made one that is an old TR. It always gets me up to 6" in sawdust or wood chips tot lots, and never breaks down.

Welcome to the club.

EasyMoney

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bounty Hunters are great. Still have my first one I got back in 1976. Now between the wife & I we have a total of 4 BH. Been coin hunting for 30 yrs now, Now that I am retired I get out more when the snow goes away in Wisconsin. Like they said you will learn as you go. So enjoy the BH and keep us posted to your new finds. Every day is a new challenge. Never know were or what you will find that's the fun of this hobby. Shane

whitestar55

Jan 9, 2008
Central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver U Max

I had a TrackerIV. Loved it. Found my oldest coin, as seated liberty dime in a "hunted out" schoolyard at 6 inches.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

:)

DO I need to even reply? Nobody pokes TOO much fun... most here have VAST experience with MANY machines - thats who you should be listening to.

I bought a 202 and a 505 from Walmart... inexpensive and awesome. I've also hunted with BH's my father had and his best machine to date remains a 28ish year-old BH.

There are probebly much better machines out there... I guess they make ya' breakfast or something... I dunno.

My old posts in "Today's Finds" prove out the machine's worth.

It's light, simple, priced right - and the reason Garrett built the less expensive 150 and 250 IMO.

If you're going to branch into beach hunting, underwater, or gold specific hunting consider other makes for sure. I think my next one will be a tosoro... also priced right in the same range, but I love the BHs.

Swing that thing with pride... and take the time learn it :) You've got some great advice here already from folks.

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks a lot for the advice guys/gals,
and thanks for the expertise Montana Jim. I know you all don't make too much fun, I appreciate the help. Today I went to the beach (a beach in Missouri...lol) and found a bobby pin and a pull tab, both at 8". Not the most exciting finds, but at eight inches, I was excited. Grounds to frozen to get more than an inch deep, but the sand wasn't bad. I can't wait to get back out there! It was 20 degrees today, and next to a huge lake the wind was truly unforgiving! I will post more when I find it. Thanks again all!!!

~Tom

p.s. I'll leave you with one more...

Attachments

• clad7wheat1indian.jpg
    clad7wheat1indian.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 238

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread