🥇 BANNER Does Coral beep? yes, when its full of coins!!!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could'nt work out why this lump of coral (in 2 ft of water) at the beach kept "hitting"?

brought it home and it started to fall apart in my bag - WOW!!!

just need to identify them and work out how to save / clean them???

any ideas???

thanks!!

IMGP0469.JPG IMGP0470.JPG IMGP0471.JPG IMGP0472.JPG IMGP0473.JPG IMGP0474.JPG
IMGP0563.JPG IMGP0523.JPG IMGP0525.JPG IMGP0526.JPG IMGP0527.JPG IMGP0529.JPG IMGP0510.JPG
IMGP0505.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 57

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find. Congrats on the banner. Many may argue that seperating them is not the way to go. To each his own. The main reason I wouldn't break it apart is for fear of damaging them. Electrolysis (done correctly) is the only way to go as far as separating them goes. IMHO

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mostly lurk here. Based on the enthusiastic response, this is a major find. I personally think it is very cool, but I am not a pro. Like others, I think this could be the tip of the iceberg. Like those same others (and a few more) I think the OP should probably keep any future finds to himself. I PM'ed the same advice. This might be a fluke, but if it is only a small part of a larger discovery then discretion is probably the best way to go here.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Treasure. What we all dream about. Thanks for taking us along. :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it may be worth more if its left as is. i think removing that crust would take years of soaking.

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON A BANNER FIND!!!:wav: Hope you marked the spot some how .There might be more:icon_thumright:=ED

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it may be worth more if its left as is. i think removing that crust would take years of soaking.

YES!!!!! if its not to late , you should keep it as is.!!!!! great find and explore that area thoroughly and often!!!!!!
chuck.

gabberbob

Oct 15, 2012
Ryazan City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to put in liter of the distilled water on a lattice and each two weeks water to update. For 2-3 months. If bark doesn't leave, leave coins in bark. It is a good numismatical sample. There is no electrolysis, electrolysis will kill coins.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think $500 is a little low... I'm guessing $150-$200 a coin x 7 coins, you do the math.. As a clump its more likely to be considered sunken treasure cause its more evident that it is sunken treasure. You say it was loose under the sand, so it could have come from anywhere... I'd work from where you found them out to the depths in a circle pattern.. I'd do your research on the rights to sunken treasure too.... Don't tell anyone where found them and avoid the law until you know the law. You may want to talk to a lawyer.... Are you a diver or do you know how to snorkel ? The chances of finding the place of origin are slim but that should be your primary goal.... Leave that clump alone for awhile and get out there and find some more !! If you stumble across a Sunken Ship... You have a lot to deal with, zoning, licences, rights to the treasure all kinds of things... Also is that Gold in the bottom side of the other pic ??

Keep @ it and HH !!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would start the bidding at a thousand but it could be worth much more.

ADDED: I really have no idea of value but I would start high to be safe.

If you ever watch Antiques Roadshow you may have noticed that artifacts are worth more in a grouping with a story. Find that story! There is no rush as the find has been documented here at TN.

I would not seperate. Its would not even be tempting to me. Soak in distilled water, Hey I got a handful of corroded Spanish 1/2 reales. Ill trade you lol. :laughing7:

Last edited:

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!! Those are amazing and would be top of any collection.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think $500 is a little low... I'm guessing $150-$200 a coin x 7 coins, you do the math.. As a clump its more likely to be considered sunken treasure cause its more evident that it is sunken treasure. You say it was loose under the sand, so it could have come from anywhere... I'd work from where you found them out to the depths in a circle pattern.. I'd do your research on the rights to sunken treasure too.... Don't tell anyone where found them and avoid the law until you know the law. You may want to talk to a lawyer.... Are you a diver or do you know how to snorkel ? The chances of finding the place of origin are slim but that should be your primary goal.... Leave that clump alone for awhile and get out there and find some more !! If you stumble across a Sunken Ship... You have a lot to deal with, zoning, licences, rights to the treasure all kinds of things... Also is that Gold in the bottom side of the other pic ??

Keep @ it and HH !!

Good advice, dont think its gold at the bottom, just two smaller encrusted coins.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible find! That's the stuff that metal detecting dreams are made of! By the way, approximately what size are the coins? Ouarter, half, dollar?

Approx 1 inch across best i measure - 2 smaller coins at bottom

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find. Congrats on the banner. Many may argue that seperating them is not the way to go. To each his own. The main reason I wouldn't break it apart is for fear of damaging them. Electrolysis (done correctly) is the only way to go as far as separating them goes. IMHO
Diggummup is right that electrolysis IF DONE RIGHT will stabilize the silver and remove any salt from the concreation this will help to keep the silver from tarnishing easly. The good thing about silver found in the ocean is it does not absorb salts into the metal like iron does so electrolysis is more of an option rather then a necessity. The other good thing is that it hasn't been exposed to oxygin and in your case it has been living in a cacoon of coral this protects the coins from wear thus ensuring that your coins will be in fantastic shap if you decide to crack them open.
Another thing you must consider is provinance, you abviously have shipwreck coinage here and this will automaticly double is value on the market, if cracked open it will not be so obvious thus decreasing it's value. If you can locate the source of this coinage I garrenty that there will be more there but what will be just as important is you may be able to identify the wreck which could easly triple the value of the items recovered. I remember going into a shop in Key West and seeing small iron nails recovered from the Atocha and they were selling for over $100. If your wreck happens to be from a known pirate ship, well the sky is the limit on that one.
If you PM me your e mail I can send you a PDF on conservation, I think you are goining to need it.
ZDD

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
Great find, I would leave them as they are. Store them safely, take them out on occasion and enjoy the memories of finding them. They may have a verified market value, but they will be priceless to you! Congratulations!

beau-bc

Mar 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT&Deus for relics &coins
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats why we all love this hobby,never know whats going to be under that coil.Great find.really like this thread.This is what its about,the search ,the find, just fantastic.I'm pumped ,headed for the hills.

Dasseldig

Oct 26, 2012
Dassel, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find. I would keep those coins as is, then I would do some more searching myself to see if I could find anymore. If I came up empty, I would sell location info to the highest bidder and document the whole story(finds) with lots of pics. You will end up with cool find, and a little cash in hand, but that is just what I would do. Good luck!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as a shipwreck type of find they are increased in value by staying intact "together" as a clump but clumps can be harder to sell then separated coins are if one want to sell them that is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread