Does It Make Any Sense...

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
This is an interesting argument. You would think that iron mask would have no use in the all metal pinpoint mode but I'm not so sure it's as simple as that. The iron mask feature is different than the normal discrimination range of the detector and is achieved differently. You can see this with the Sovereign GT when switching between iron mask on and off. Turning iron mask off changes the detectors sensitivity to ground minerals, iron and even electrical interference which leaves me to believe that the difference has more to do with it's use of or change to certain frequencies between on and off as opposed to just filtering through normal discrimination.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyman said:
This is an interesting argument. You would think that iron mask would have no use in the all metal pinpoint mode but I'm not so sure it's as simple as that. The iron mask feature is different than the normal discrimination range of the detector and is achieved differently. You can see this with the Sovereign GT when switching between iron mask on and off. Turning iron mask off changes the detectors sensitivity to ground minerals, iron and even electrical interference which leaves me to believe that the difference has more to do with it's use of or change to certain frequencies between on and off as opposed to just filtering through normal discrimination.
Now THERE is an intelligent answer...
So although the Excal will see and sound off on Iron when in pinpoint, it does not change the detectors ability to "see" iron through say an Iron rich soil, but the Sovereign will still filter out the iron/mineral rich soil to only sound off on solid iron objects like a CW buckle, etc.?
I think I see the difference now, but I was really only relating to the original poster that if you want to hunt with the Excal like it were a PI, you can do so by simply turning off Disc.. Well, maybe I still dont understand.... Oh well...
Thanks though, for the best explanation yet.. Cant learn if you dont ask questions, and cant learn if people simply get angry and say "it is because I say it is"... Obviously not the educator type...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Surfer said:
crazyman said:
Now THERE is an intelligent answer...
So although the Excal will see and sound off on Iron when in pinpoint, it does not change the detectors ability to "see" iron through say an Iron rich soil, but the Sovereign will still filter out the iron/mineral rich soil to only sound off on solid iron objects like a CW buckle, etc.?
I think I see the difference now, but I was really only relating to the original poster that if you want to hunt with the Excal like it were a PI, you can do so by simply turning off Disc.. Well, maybe I still dont understand.... Oh well...
Thanks though, for the best explanation yet.. Cant learn if you dont ask questions, and cant learn if people simply get angry and say "it is because I say it is"... Obviously not the educator type...
YOU SAID.." Obviously not the educator type "............ I will just let that remark pass like i did not see it ..................

Attachments

• 192x235.jpg
    192x235.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 192x235.jpg
    192x235.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 108

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread