Does metal detecting equipment ever break?

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few of you may be aware of my desire to work on pinpointers powered by 9V batteries and modify them or create a special add on that allows them to run off of alternative batteries, such as alkaline or NiMH AAA batteries.

The only real challenge has been finding a way to meet the above references goals without permanently modifying the pinpointer itself. I'm struggling to overcome this challenge and for the time being, I'm willing to make a few modifications to the pinpointer. But I don't want to modify a perfectly good device, especially when it's still under warranty. Therefore, I'm looking for broken pinpointers, especially a Minelab Pro-Find 35. However, I can't find them ANYWHERE. And it's not just Minelab - the Garrett Carrot is also almost impossible to find broken on eBay (even a used one on eBay is pretty uncommon).

It's like there's almost no second-hand market for used metal detecting gear, especially broken gear. This is nothing like how it is with other gear, such as video games, phones, camping gear or cameras.

Why is this? Do manufacturers have REALLY REALLY good warranties? Or maybe even without warranty coverage, the cost to repair metal detecting equipment by an authorized dealer is really affordable?

I've seen how people used their pinpointers and it's amazing that can last more than several years without breaking. I've also seen how people like to upgrade or change their equipment. So where are all broken or used equipment, especially on places like eBay?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They break just like any other device. But the total sales of metal detectors is pretty small compared to cell phones, tablets and other PC hardware so you're less likely to see it. Especially pin pointers since they're a pretty low cost item as far as detectors go. Most people wouldn't see the point of trying sell a broken one either. I sold my broken Garrett GTI 1500 a while back and it had quite a few bids.

Best thing would be to post want to buy ad for them.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you use one of the cheap knock offs to experiment on?

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could you use one of the cheap knock offs to experiment on?

They don't make cheap knock offs of the Minelab Pro-Find 35 as far as I know (that's what I'm working on now).

Also, I already have a working prototype and based on indoor testing, works better than the 9V battery. So now, all that's left is getting it to fit inside the real thing and making internal modifications (I've conceded modifications must be done, at least at this point). I already have an almost brand new Pro-Find 35, but hate to cut it up with my Dremel if I can get a cheaper used or broken one.

I would have bought a knock off if I was working on the Garrett Carrot. But even in that situation, I'd still need the real thing eventually for actual testing of the prototype.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They break just like any other device. But the total sales of metal detectors is pretty small compared to cell phones, tablets and other PC hardware so you're less likely to see it. Especially pin pointers since they're a pretty low cost item as far as detectors go. Most people wouldn't see the point of trying sell a broken one either. I sold my broken Garrett GTI 1500 a while back and it had quite a few bids.

Best thing would be to post want to buy ad for them.

It looks like that's the case...don't know why, given how being a "maker" or "DIY-er" is in vogue these days.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like that's the case...don't know why, given how being a "maker" or "DIY-er" is in vogue these days.

That's why I usually post a wanted ad for things I'm looking for. I mod quite a few things and even then my family throws away things they know I mod, Except their computers and tvs. If those break I'm first one they call lol.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's why I usually post a wanted ad for things I'm looking for. I mod quite a few things and even then my family throws away things they know I mod, Except their computers and tvs. If those break I'm first one they call lol.

Besides a metal detecting site, where would you recommend I look?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides a metal detecting site, where would you recommend I look?

I usually post on craigslist, facebook groups and forums based on what I'm doing at the moment. Since this the largest site for detectorists I'm not sure you could find a better place to ask. Pretty sure the sale classifieds here are for charter members but you can check with the mods to see if you can post an item wanted ad.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ProFind 35 has 3 year warranty so there want be any out of warranty for awhile since it was released in towards the end of 2017.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck on the project! :occasion14:

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ProFind 35 has 3 year warranty so there want be any out of warranty for awhile since it was released in towards the end of 2017.

Excellent point! That probably explains why I'm not going to find a broken one...if they exist, someone probably got it fixed under warranty.

But still, where are the used ones?! And it still doesn't explain why broken Garrett Carrots don't seem to exist...

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had three profind 35’s and two carrots swapped out over the past two years between us. Both Minelab and Garrett just send us new ones. They seem to last a year or two before going nuts. My Profinds all had the same issue and cracked along the black shaft. Hairline crack but it would make them go nuts and deff no
Longer waterproof.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have had three profind 35’s and two carrots swapped out over the past two years between us. Both Minelab and Garrett just send us new ones. They seem to last a year or two before going nuts. My Profinds all had the same issue and cracked along the black shaft. Hairline crack but it would make them go nuts and deff no
Longer waterproof.

This post concerns me (it's not you).

I hear a lot of people raving about the great customer service they get when their pinpointer breaks and they get it repaired or get a new one. I never though about it until now, but perhaps this great customer service exists because the product is...let's just say, not-so-good?

It's hard to get a good grasp of how good or bad something is with all the shills that exist online and the selective reporting that occurs on message boards.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you count letting a wave of salt water wash over a non-waterproof metal detector, then yeah, I've had one break!

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After a little more thinking, I'm guessing that there's a ceiling to the level of ruggedness manufacturers can build into their pinpointers. Yes, they could make them even more durable, but it would raise the cost past a point they believe is economical. So they develop engineering parameters that acknowledge that a certain % will fail given how a particular hardcore group of people use them. And when they do fail as predicted, the company just mails out a new device to the customer. Then the vast majority of the rest of the customers who use the device within the engineering parameters have a device that almost never breaks within the warranty period.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can only build a device with limited weight and size to durability ratio so the smaller and lighter it is the shorter its lifespan. The pinpointers probably fare the worst since we basically sand away the case every time we use them. I know I'm not very gentle with mine unlike the detector itself. Aside from the R&D the unit itself would be cheap to produce so they probably factored in like 40% warranty replacement. For the weekend warrior they'll probably last for years with battery corrosion being the biggest concern. Done that before. Open the battery compartment to met with a giant green blob lol.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can only build a device with limited weight and size to durability ratio so the smaller and lighter it is the shorter its lifespan. The pinpointers probably fare the worst since we basically sand away the case every time we use them. I know I'm not very gentle with mine unlike the detector itself. Aside from the R&D the unit itself would be cheap to produce so they probably factored in like 40% warranty replacement. For the weekend warrior they'll probably last for years with battery corrosion being the biggest concern. Done that before. Open the battery compartment to met with a giant green blob lol.

Two things:

1. You had a 9V battery leak on you?

2. Do you know if the Garrett Carrot uses a softer plastic than the prior 2 black versions of Garrett's pinpointer? From what I see online, it's only the orange one that wears away so quickly. If so, I wonder why Garrett chose to use an inferior plastic? Or maybe it's not inferior in that it improves the sensitivity of the device at the expense of strength?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two things:

1. You had a 9V battery leak on you?

2. Do you know if the Garrett Carrot uses a softer plastic than the prior 2 black versions of Garrett's pinpointer? From what I see online, it's only the orange one that wears away so quickly. If so, I wonder why Garrett chose to use an inferior plastic? Or maybe it's not inferior in that it improves the sensitivity of the device at the expense of strength?

Yup several times. Not in my Pro Pointer but in other devices. The internal cells rupture just like other batteries but it takes it longer to show up through the outer casing. Normally you'd replace the dead battery before it corrodes through but I've left them in two way radios and toy remotes i didn't use much and yeah big green blob. It usually oozes around the terminal plates and corrodes from the outside. Since AAAA batteries are small it's a lot less leakage at once.

The fact the carrot is orange may be the problem. There are problems with ABS structure when creating certain colors. A molded in color that isn't formulated well can crack or be softer than another color. Aside from raw and black other colors are usually weaker for the same structure. Normally not enough to matter in say a radio body but can make difference in tools or wear items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions