Then And Now

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Image (20).jpg Image (43).jpg These are a pair of Garrett Metal Detector ads, the one on the left is from 1985 and the other is from 2017. The guy in the left photo looks as if he's on his lunch hour from the office, wearing a dressy type shirt and pants plus highly shined shoes. Only tools are his detector and a small garden trowel. The guy on the right is dressed as if he's going on a military mission with the camo, shovel, and even the way he's carrying his detector. Marketing and detecting have changed through the years.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1707815 View attachment 1707816 These are a pair of Garrett Metal Detector ads, the one on the left is from 1985 and the other is from 2017. The guy in the left photo looks as if he's on his lunch hour from the office, wearing a dressy type shirt and pants plus highly shined shoes. Only tools are his detector and a small garden trowel. The guy on the right is dressed as if he's going on a military mission with the camo, shovel, and even the way he's carrying his detector. Marketing and detecting have changed through the years.

What, you've never heard of something being tacti-cool?

Never underestimate the consumer who loves turning money into noise while pretending to be G.I. Joe.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an interesting ovservation-

Which of the above detectorists appears to be an expert professional and which is more likely the hobbyist?

If it were 1985 the later advertisement with the dude in camoflage and all the gadgets appears more professional but In 2019 the same dude looks as green as spring sapling. All that claptrap he is lugging around, I think he is just trying to atract attention from the ladies.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy on the left looks like a bad ass...
Guy on the right looks like a jack ass...
lol I usually look like a jack ass....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Blame Ken Griffey, Jr.

Another reason not to wear your baseball cap backwards: that's not how operators do it. Well...except maybe this guy, aka: Cowboy.

Cowboy would whup my butt if I called him on his hat.
So , I'll just say he's wearing it backwards to avoid helo turbulence knocking it off....

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What, you've never heard of something being tacti-cool?

Never underestimate the consumer who loves turning money into noise while pretending to be G.I. Joe.
I hear ya' on that.

Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:
You're very welcome.....

Used to be the only guys who wore their hat backwards were the catchers on a baseball team.

Blame Ken Griffey, Jr.

Another reason not to wear your baseball cap backwards: that's not how operators do it. Well...except maybe this guy, aka: Cowboy.
Yeah, Griffey always seemed to be photographed with a backwards hat...

Here is an interesting ovservation-

Which of the above detectorists appears to be an expert professional and which is more likely the hobbyist?

If it were 1985 the later advertisement with the dude in camoflage and all the gadgets appears more professional but In 2019 the same dude looks as green as spring sapling. All that claptrap he is lugging around, I think he is just trying to atract attention from the ladies.
maybe there's a tent in that knapsack.

This is pretty funny. Thanks!
You're welcome......

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting compare and contrast....

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You notice that the guy on the right is on top of a mountain? I wonder what the heck he is looking for.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You notice that the guy on the right is on top of a mountain? I wonder what the heck he is looking for.
That's what I was wondering too ! He's climbing on solid rock.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I was wondering too ! He's climbing on solid rock.

He's on his way to some old homestead site in Appalachia or something. Or maybe he's looking for "terrorists."

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was 2 years old I wouldn't let my mom dress me like that poop brown pants ECT lol

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I wear a cap it is backwards, dont wear them too often tho...

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There has been quite a few times I walked on top of a mountain to go to the valley below to start detecting.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detector on the left in the 1985 ad looks like my first "real" detector, a garrett ads master hunter 4 from 1983, sometimes called a garrett groundhog, although i have seen a few models called groundhog. It was a great detector but I moved up to the garrett master hunter 7, a detector I loved but now seems so heavy compared to the new machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread