does the xp control unit display a depth meter? or is it just tone based?

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
hello, getting my new deus in a few days and was wondering if the display unit will give depth in none motion mode. I'm currently reading Andy"s book and am still unclear about it. Also wondering if people using the x method for pinpointing in motion mode are gauging the depth of a target by sound alone. This will be my first new detector since owning my DFX 10 plus years ago. I also am trying to get adjusted to pinpointing with the dd coil and any advise on gauging depth without the lcd control unit would be greatly appreciated. HH

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I never look at the depth gauge. Once you are use to the machine, you can get a good idea of depth by the volume and sound response of a target. I usually run full tones and my audio response at level 2. I believe most people run it higher. But I find it let's me recognize deep coin targets (8-9"dimes) by there quiet high tone. Vs the louder tones of say a dime at 6 or less inches. I like this as it let's me only focus on the old deep stuff. Once you train your brain, to ignore the loudness that is.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
The horse shoe is a sort of depth gage and also Corresponds to the audio tones.
The more black on the right side of the horse shoe the shallower the target and the loader the tone.
Just a small spec of black at the top of the horse shoe and a whisper of a tone is going to be a deep target.
I don't pay much attention to the horse shoe unless it's just a whisper.
If it's a good tone dig it... it will be in the plug or still in the hole....

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Between adjusting the audio response and how the detector responds you can pretty much tell how deep a target is. I will double check the horseshoe sometimes, but a small target will come in as deep if you don't pay attention to your coil and signal response and sweep speed. Sometimes I will still dig slivers of aluminum thinking they are deep coins on edge. I usually will use the X method to pinpoint, but I will double check using the pinpoint button to make sure especially on really deep signals that are hard to exactly pinpoint.

Hauptmann aD

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The horse shoe is an depth indicator - but it is tuned for coin size items. So a larger, deeper item may appear still near in the horse shoe. And a small piece of aluminum or lead scrap near the surface may appear deeper than it is. Anyway usually nothing a good spade and a pinpointer cannot solve easily.

Last edited:

celtic fox

Nov 8, 2015
surrey uk
Detector(s) used
ctx3030 , deus lite , garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deus is very easy to pinpoint i bought a deus lite with 13 * 11 coil and said i would buy control box later but im happy with it as is , i also have a ctx and deus is so much easier to pinpoint :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread