Does this look bent to you?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I listed this online as damaged. But looking at it again I'm not so sure. Just wanted to see if any of y'all thought that the side of this cameo was bent or maybe if it was supposed to be that way? Just want to get another opinion or several .. Thanks.

image-1683606639.jpg

image-158347038.jpg

image-1072953776.jpg

image-2712366439.jpg

cherrypicked

May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that it was bent. I had a similar piece with the same issue but when I sold it I didn't say that it was damaged. Instead I was honest and said that I wasn't entirely sure if it was bent but refer to the picture for a more accurate idea of condition.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say its bent as well.. My thing is why not bend it back to the way it should be? Its already bent, I'm quite sure I could get that sucker almost perfect again! Otherwise just as cherry said above just say you are not sure & to refer to the pictures so they can make a judgement & conclusion.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW what makes you 2nd think it might not be bent? it does not match any of the other 3 sides so that's where I draw my conclusion but if another side was the same then I would think otherwise.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW what makes you 2nd think it might not be bent? it does not match any of the other 3 sides so that's where I draw my conclusion but if another side was the same then I would think otherwise.

I was hoping it wasn't. That's what happens at 1:00 am when you can't sleep. Thanks for the help. The guy that owns it has an autistic son. I was selling it for him to help get some cash. I told him its worth about $100-$120 bent. I thought it would be easier to ask on here if you agreed instead of driving 10 miles to my jewelers for one thing. It's better on here anyways. You are all honest verses some others that say , its damaged, ill give you $10 for it! Lol. That happened one time with a guy I thought was really honest. I had a Tiffany and co bracelet. Took it to him, he looks at it, goes, there is a scratch, I'll give you $10!!

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is bent, and a price of 120 seems still a little high. Cameos are an easy sell, but I usually was able to pick them up for 50-80 bucks depending on what was pictured. My Ex fiance used to collect them.

I would never take it to a jeweler, they will give you a very low ball price. They mark most of their own jewlery up by about 300%. Still, depending on the size of this one, I would think it would be worth about 150 in GREAT condition. Being bent, I am not sure you will hit the 120 mark.

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt, it is out of shape. I am not sure that bent is the right description but certainly out of shape. What is out of shape should be correctable, maybe not 100% but very close, with only using your fingers.

I see values have been brought up but I don't see any explanation of what type of metal is used. Is it some karat weight of gold, silver, brass, copper? That will make a huge difference with respect to value. Also, what material is the Cameo made from, another very important issue with respect to value.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, for everyone's futer reference. I just dropped it and the cameo came out. So the gold weight is 3.8 grams. The total weight is 10.1 grams that includes the shell. Wonderful! Now to get it back in.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it up for best offer at 159.95 see if you'll get a 120 offer and maybe more. It is bent, but say it's nothing any skilled jeweler couldn't fix with ease. It's real funny I've had a few things sell higher with condition issues over the same thing that had no issues. Other ebayers have told me they've had the same experience. Do some buyers feel better when someting is wrong with the stuff... I wonder???

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Put it up for best offer at 159.95 see if you'll get a 120 offer and maybe more. It is bent, but say it's nothing any skilled jeweler couldn't fix with ease. It's real funny I've had a few things sell higher with condition issues over the same thing that had no issues. Other ebayers have told me they've had the same experience. Do some buyers feel better when someting is wrong with the stuff... I wonder???

I think they just feel better about and appreciate the honesty. I have listed coins on the bay to sell on the same night, both of common date and about the same value, added in one description I think it has been cleaned in the past, or in another has a rim ding at 3 o'clock, etc. The damaged one will often outsell the one nothing is wrong with it. Something I have noticed in the past also, but never thought to mention or comment on. Good point, Tamrock.

T.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is very true.. Have had it happen several times myself... Strange!

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, above, he said he dropped it and the cameo popped out. THIS could be a big problem. If it does just go right back in, then it is not of great quality. This one just doesnt look like the high end ones I have seen. The back just does not look right. It looks too plain. Did you test the diamond? The outside part that is gold is not worth much. The cameo as a piece is where the value is. It looks like a shell cameo yes, but the back just does not look right.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very true.. Have had it happen several times myself... Strange!

If it's not coincidence, perhaps it's that buyers aren't doing their research and think that since you are listing it outright as being damaged that you are listing it at a bargain price as well.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive sold stuff broke or bent or damagaed and your right it does sell alot better. I wonder if its because the person figures they are saving a few bucks buying it damaged and spending the $20 to get it fixed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread