Does using your Notch feature help you to find more treasure in less time?

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fellow Hunters,

I was going to buy a detector with notching features because it seems I spend
most of my time digging trash. I can see how the notch feature could possibly help,
but I wonder if it may block out possible treasure too....

Do you use the notch feature and does it allow you to spend more time digging trash or treasure.?

thanks for your input

Larry

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct you may be swapping a gold ring for a clad dime. But sometimes there is so much junk that you just have to notch. That's especially true if you are just out coin shooting. Monty

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more trash there is the more I notch and if you only have a limited amont of time and you just want to dig coins notch out the junk.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Which machine are you talking about? Because you can also just get a machine with Tone ID, and do the same thing (elect to pass or not pass) based on sounds, depth-bar, etc..

Yes, by notching out something (like ... foil range, or .... tab range), you *might* pass up a gold ring. That's a given. But as monty and blockhead say, some environments just aren't worth the hassle. You would ...... in some inner-city blighted urban parks, dig 1000 tabs and foil before ever digging a gold ring. So you're better off just going to a beach somewhere if your goal is a gold ring (d/t swimmer/bathers losses are more conducive to jewelry losses), or notch and get selective at junky parks. There's a lot of turf hunting I do, that I'm just after the deep silver. So it just depends on where you're hunting. At demo. sites, old ruins in the country-side, beach-hunting, etc.... I dig everything except iron.

B

BIG61AL

I never notch......I rather dig a hundred or more pull tabs then to miss out on a gold ring

<------------------<<<<< like this ring - rung up as a pultab......I sold this ring for $187 at midwest refineries

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll usually dig a few pulltabs (50 or so) until i can't stand to dig another, then discriminate them out. At some point it just gets too frustrating to use an expensive piece of equipment to dig trash. So digging a few each time you go out will give you a shot at recovering some jewelry and then you can coin hunt for a while. But remember if it's an area that you want to return to occasionally it may be to your advantage to just clean it out. And when you go back just dig everything. The gold bracelet in the pic would be eliminated by using too much discrimination.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 180

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread