Does v y y mean anything?

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
I have a large rock on my property that is either a grave marker or something else. I think it might be something else. It has either v y y or v / y carved on it. I'm not posting a picture because someone in the neighborhood might recognize it. Before we lived here, people treated the property like the local park and several total strangers stopped by and nonchalantly tried to ask about this rock in the first few years we lived here. TIA.

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
Yes. Once I removed the large rocks on it, I got a few 8-10 inch hits. I only have a BH 202 and can't afford anything else. Upside down, and just to the side of front and center of the large carved rock, was a lovely full, rounded heart shaped rock. There are several interesting things around. So, does anyone have any idea what v y y or v / y might mean?

Attachments

• m_dae5cf5bd3f4a3110aca942160621f39.jpg
    m_dae5cf5bd3f4a3110aca942160621f39.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 966

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Bluestem,

Can you post a photo of the writing?
The heart is not just a treasure sign but a directional marker,
What direction will the notch in the heart take you?
A direct line from the point of the heart through the notch is the direction of travel.
Look for more signs close by in that direction.
If you encounter a 3 close by,
reverse direction.

Thom
OD

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
Old Dog,

I'm having trouble posting pics. I've cropped as much as I can and keep getting the message that my file is too big. I'll have figure it out. In the meantime, there is an outline of a sideways horseshoe in a nearby tree, with nail holes. It's well above my head. I found the nail holes by take close ups with my camera. Following that, I found a triangle made of 3 long rocks, with an end of one sitting on top of the end of the next one. Is that what you mean by 3? I was thinking it was pointing me in another direction. I've found nothing by going in that direction.

I assume the heart was moved before we found it. My kids moved it again, but I did take photos first. I'll have to study them to see what direction the tip was pointing.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
A triangle is just that . A triangle,
How far apart are the corners of this triangle and can you calculate the center of it?

What I mean by a 3 or an E is a chiseled sign.literally.
A 3 or an E means wrong way or turn about.

a triangle is a marker that will have a central flat stone marker.
Usually a heart just under the surface about 6 inches to 12 inches
If you have a two box detector run it over the center of the triangle.
You may have a surprise waiting for you.
A rather large surprise.

If so email me a photo of what you find.

Good luck.
Thom
OD

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
bluestem said:
Old Dog,

I'm having trouble posting pics. I've cropped as much as I can and keep getting the message that my file is too big. I'll have figure it out. In the meantime, there is an outline of a sideways horseshoe in a nearby tree, with nail holes. It's well above my head. I found the nail holes by take close ups with my camera. Following that, I found a triangle made of 3 long rocks, with an end of one sitting on top of the end of the next one. Is that what you mean by 3? I was thinking it was pointing me in another direction. I've found nothing by going in that direction.

I assume the heart was moved before we found it. My kids moved it again, but I did take photos first. I'll have to study them to see what direction the tip was pointing.

If you are using Windows XP, you can go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx and download Image Resizer.exe
It makes resizing pics a breeze ;D

TW

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks, Timberwolf. It doesn't want to work with mt Kodak software, but hopefully I've figured it out.

Attachments

• 100_0381 (Small).jpg
    100_0381 (Small).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 769
OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
I decided to heck with someone recognizing it. They already know it's there, right? This is about 4 feet wide and 1 foot thick at the base.

Attachments

• 000_0106 (Small).JPG
    000_0106 (Small).JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 772

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
bluestem said:
Thanks, Timberwolf. It doesn't want to work with mt Kodak software, but hopefully I've figured it out.

You are very welcome.

TW

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
Can you see it now?

Attachments

• vyy - resize (Small).jpg
    vyy - resize (Small).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 759

hetty

May 24, 2007
Hi Bluestem, I have seen this rock marker here in Australia and Colorado. It is an upside down heart . If you dig down at the base you will complete the heart shape which means dig into the ground behind it. If there are 7 holes that is a (gold here)sign Hettie

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
bluestem,
it's possible that those are "bird tracks" rather than 'y's. Thy were often used as treasure markers. Dig in the direction of the "stem" of the tracks.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks hetty and grizzly bare. Any guesses as to how deep I'll need to dig? If I don't find find anything I wonder when I should give up.

Maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic, huh? ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
What did you find when your Bounty Hunter hit 10-12 inches. I have a BH also that I use especially for going deep .When there is a deep signal, I will dig it...a BH will go deep especially if there is iron....dig...and dig deep...listen for faint tones....

K

Kentucky Kache

bluestem said:
Thanks hetty and grizzly bare. Any guesses as to how deep I'll need to dig? If I don't find find anything I wonder when I should give up.

Maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic, huh? ;D

Don't EVER give up. Most people never get such a lead, so keep at it no matter what.

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks, Gypsy!!

JBot, I don't intend to give up. I'm just worrying about digging to China and not finding anything because it's somewhere else entirely. I guess I should ask, what's the deepest cache ever found in hole, dug straight down? 10 feet? 20 feet?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Sue,

If you find the location of the cache,
The minimum standard depth that the Spanish would bury their caches was a 'braza'.

A "Braza" was a standard measurement determined by the distance between the outstretched fingertips of the King. 65 inches was the standard established by King Philip. 1.83 meters or 5.485 feet SAE.
You could have multiples of this depth to deal with. 5 feet 7 inches is minimum depth.

There are instances of people digging to 25 feet and not reaching the cache, leaving the open hole and someone else came along and dug deeper by a couple feet and found it.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread