Dogs to sniff out gold? has anyone tried this?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if that were possible the world would be full of rich dogs

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I trained my dog to find gold awhile back. It seems most gold is located in cat crap or other dogs asses.
I figured I'd let someone else get those nuggets and stick to the creeks.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have read some things about people photoing (aura) of gold deposits,they site some info on how gold disrupts natural magnetic fields , my imediate thoughts were if this is true, that migratory birds would be sensitive to these , and either be atracted to, or be compelled to stay away from these ,so now every time i see geese i wonder if they are seeing what i cant.but i guess i send myself on enough (wild goose chases), to actualy be chasing wild geese, but there are animals that are hyper sensitive to the slightest changes in chemical compositions, i.e bomb snifing dogs,these compounds often have heavy metal elements to them,that they are tuned in to, but i do believe it to be plausable, but i dought it could be usful in placer deposits, to small,and to many other heavys with them, but you never know.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HJ,
I can not smell gold like you do but I've had folks tell me I need to slow down on eating Garlic when I'm "out there" as I smell of it........63bkpkr

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes as long as you know that gold itself has no odor. The dog is sniffing for related chemical signatures such as iron sulfide or other non-inert chemicals.

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ha ha ha some great replies here. hoser if there was an old dog that could smell gold I believe you are it. 63bkpkr I know what you mean about the garlic, I had an Italian girl friend once and..... you know I will stop here in case youngins are reading. highdesertranger

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I'm thinking in the dog world my lab would be the equivalent of a gold bug 2, If I got a bloodhound would that be like upgrading to a gpx 5000? Might be time for a new chapter in my prospecting.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
my phone 008.jpg

A pack of butt sniffers.................no gold!!!!:BangHead:
L.C. Baker

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got short story. I was out mining in the Coolgardie Area of Mojave Desert with my trusty GSP Special Agent Scully( she was a great dog). It was on a GPAA claim, I had stopped dry washing and started MD ing around some steep gullies. The dog was in the lead and I was kicking over rocks. I scanned a rock by a bush and Scully came back and keyed on the rock I move on and she started digging under the rock. She kicked dirt 10' behind her. It was probably a varmint. All I saw was fresh dirt to scan. I had scanned that area but she made it new again. When she gave up her quest I went back. I started scanning and I got a hit, the only one of the day. It was a small piece of Quartz gold about the size of corn kernel. She found me gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread