Doing ok but have a few QS

P

PatinIdaho

Doing ok but have a few Q'S

MD is a Loanstar.
So far i have found a Canadian quarter,2 dimes,some pennys,pull tabs,bullet casings. So i must be doing something right!
But sometimes when i get a hit and start trying to pinpoint it the hit dissapears?
Sometimes i only get a hit when the coil is moving in one direction but not the other over the same hit?
Sometimes the tones switch from high to low and low to high over the same target?
It seems like the display always points to tin no matter where i have the MD adjusted to.
Im Sure most of it is just me but?
Also this was at a beach in damp sand about 40 feet from the water
Thanks
Pat

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Doing ok but have a few Q'S

Hi Pat - From the info on the Lone Star (ground-trac, different ground balance modes) I would assume that it might handle wet sand. If it doesn't say anywhere in the manual that it can handle salt, then it might be a bit unstable. Make sure auto-trac is on and try the different ground balance modes. Salt can give false signals, or one-way signals. Try to work parallel to the beach after balancing. I am not familiar with the Lone Star, but have seen some of the same problems with some previous detectors I've had. Make sure any metal you're carrying, like your scoop, or whatever, is well away from the coil. Also keep the coil parallel to the ground...if you angle the coil it can give a false signal. Reducing the sensitivity can also help. I believe salt responds in the low, positive conductivity range...so if your seeing a lot of responses in this range, it could be salt. I would definitely suggest getting used to it on dry land so you can see what's different at the beach.

Hope this helps a little,
TBGO

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO

HI Pat, Nice to see you're finding a few north Idaho coins. I haven't used a Bounty hunter for years, but one thing happens up in this country and thats heavy mineralization. The older B.H's wouldn't handle it very well and you dug alot of hot rocks. By the list of coins and pop tops you found it looks like you're discriminating out the ferrous junk and possibly nickels. The pinpointing and tones will get better with practice and that means digging up a lot of junk at first. You will read where alot of the really successful MD'rs here dig every hit, but up in this area lake beaches and camp grounds are so littered with what I call "Bud Nuggets". Campers build large fires and burn their empty beer and soda cans, which melt into coin size "nuggets". No matter how much disc. I give my minelab they show strong coin. Don't get discouraged tho' those silvers, wheats, and even gold will read and sound just like the ones you've dug. Wishing you alot of success out there.

mrspotatohead

Mar 19, 2006

hey pat, maybe you'd have a little more luck if you let your wife use the metal detector for a little bit Just kiddin sweety :-* Just so you know I am getting up early and digging up the front yard ;D ;)

OP
OP
P

PatinIdaho

OK WE ARE BUYING ANOTHER ONE ::) SO There :P

So Anyone have a good suggestion for a second MD in say the $250/300 range?
Pat

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good second MD in the $250 to $300. price range is easy. Up an away the easiest to use in the price range is the Garrett Ace 250. There are others that are better, but you get what you pay for and the 250 will hold it's own against most.

MD

Apr 4, 2005

Hi Pat, I have a Bounty Hunter and a White's. The BH is just like DiamondJim said. I quit going after those one way and high low signals. It was always trash, which indicated to me the BH worked well. I disagree about the nickels. I've found lots of nickels with the BH. BH's get the job done in my opinion. One thing I liked about it better than my MXT, is that I could listen to tones and didn't have to watch the read out. I could make up for missed targets by covering more ground faster. The MXT only has one tone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions