arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
DON'T BUY A CLAIM OFF EBAY.

DON'T BUY A CLAIM OFF EBAY.
unless you have tested the claim yourself, just don't do it.
i know there are allot of newbies that come here and maybe some get the idea of buying a claim out west and mining for gold.
a very romantic dream it is. but there are predators out there wanting to sell you that dream, in the form of a worthless claim.
i will not list names, but there are a few that have been selling them for a long time on ebay.
save your money, get with one of the many gold prospecting clubs and you will be better off.
if you feel you must buy a claim, make sure you test it before putting any money down.
if this post saves even one miner from a bad mistake then it will be worth the time i spent to post it.

Upvote 0

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for a wise alert.
hopefully it will work
HH

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post and advice. Too many chasing the dream, playground for the scam artists.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent advice. Better to pay a guide once to see what it's like, then buy if you want. I like guides, you can fire them easily!

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Sooo true, test test test and sample sample, its like painting a car sand the car and sand it some more when your done sand it again, same with gold except sample and test and do the research on where gold is found specifically where placer gold is found and not where it is in general but find the exact locations, sometimes a couple miles away is no good.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
I Made that mistake when I first started prospecting. Wanted to buy every claim that was listed. I tired twice on eBay with the same seller. "Rock properties". Well both times it did not work out. I lost money and my mining trip with 2 Friends that I had been planning for months had to be canceled just a week before we were gonna go. We all used our vacation days for the trip an it sucked because we never went on a trip.

I did get a refund from the seller, but it was HELL , I mean the whole experience!!! I do not recommend ANYONE buying a claim on eBay. Make your own call, but that is my view. Heard so many horror stories and now I have a story as well.

Best thing to do is locate sample and file if u get lucky on good ground. LR2000 from BLM is a good start!

Good luck. Be well

Mellow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread