Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't judge a site by it's cover

A friend invited me to a spot that he was granted permission to hunt. When we first arrived it appeared to modern of a property to have had anything old there. My friend pointed to the right of the property at a line of trees. As I got closer I could make out the home area and where it stood. The 1st photo shows the drive coming up to the front of the house and 2nd shows front entrance between the 2 green bushes. In the back I located the privy with a crate full of newspaper. The date on the news was 1969. I'm trying to get permission now to dig under the privy. Just outside of the privy I dug the first coin which was a 1944 whty. There were plenty of signals and the majority were mason jar lids and believe me I checked under each one. What I suspect as the front yard is where the Merc, Walking Liberty and S.Silver fork were dug. We had lots of fun and plan on going back soon to dig that privy if we secure permission. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 1,092
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,056
Upvote 0

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Re: Don't judge a site by it's cover

Awesome finds! Those coins look in GREAT shape! More where that came from, go back and vacuum it out! :icon_thumleft:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice going buddy and congrats on your Walker and Merc silver is silver :icon_thumleft: :wink: Unfortunately, Creeper71 is right about your fork, I've dug my fair share of them as well and they can fool you as many of them do indeed look solid silver when you pull them out. But no worries, I'm sure there's some more and even better stuff still waiting for you to dig up around that property :wink: :wink:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

{Sentinel} said:
Nice going buddy and congrats on your Walker and Merc silver is silver :icon_thumleft: :wink: Unfortunately, Creeper71 is right about your fork, I've dug my fair share of them as well and they can fool you as many of them do indeed look solid silver when you pull them out. But no worries, I'm sure there's some more and even better stuff still waiting for you to dig up around that property :wink: :wink:
Doesn't help that they use international silver Co. to the untrained eye they would quickly assume it's sterling from the company name..... I know I did when I first started looking for sterling to scrap.... I now know what to look for an those tricky maker marks don't fool me anymore...

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

General "rule-of-thumb", if it bends easily, it's probably sterling, but still should be confirmed. If it resists bending, it's usually plated.

Just an in-field test.

Good finds!!

E.D.

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Great finds... and looks like a great spot to me. Clean it out :icon_thumright:

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.

Nice items! I love Big Old Trees , especially if they're all in a nice line.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

OH YA IT LOOKS LIKE A GOOD SPOT FOR SURE! willy

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

EagleDown said:
General "rule-of-thumb", if it bends easily, it's probably sterling, but still should be confirmed. If it resists bending, it's usually plated.

Just an in-field test.

Good finds!!

E.D.
That field test isn't reliable I have had plenty of silver plate bend easy.......best is if you don't see sterling,stg ,925/1000 or 925.. it's probly plated

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
EagleDown said:

Just an in-field test.

Good finds!!

E.D.
That field test isn't reliable I have had plenty of silver plate bend easy.......best is if you don't see sterling,stg ,925/1000 or 925.. it's probly plated
Probably the reason I said "General". :laughing7:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

EagleDown said:
creeper71 said:
EagleDown said:

Just an in-field test.

Good finds!!

E.D.
Probably the reason I said "General". :laughing7:
but for a newbie they would assume since it bends easy it is sterling... that is why I wrote what I did to help the newbies

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I understand that, and appreciate it. The thing is, if it bends easily and they take it home with them, they haven't lost anything.

But, you're right about the silverware that is stamped as sterling. Most is, but I have found a couple of custom made pieces that were not stamped, (other than the engraved initials of the person they were made for.) The only reason I kept them was because they did bend easily. It took an acid test to prove they were sterling.

Anyway, good looking out!! That's what we're here for; to help each other.

E.D.

OP
OP
detectahead

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks all for the replies. The fork not being silver is no great loss. I'd rather have real silver in the shape of a coin than a fork! :laughing9:

caveman2

Jun 12, 2010
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250

nice finds, someone told me of a spot where an old house once sat. don't think its evey been detected. when all the snakes go in im gonna check it out. hope im as luck as you!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Dig them outhouse locations.........well hurry up would ya........I want to see the bottles you find :tongue3: They are not made of silver :'( But worth some $$$$.........jgas

OP
OP
detectahead

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jgas said:
Dig them outhouse locations.........well hurry up would ya........I want to see the bottles you find :tongue3: They are not made of silver :'( But worth some $$$$.........jgas
I just so your post the other day, that was some great bottle digs. In fact your post is what prompted me to go and dig!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okay,nice looking fork ,but check out that outhouse,that's where's the money's at,not to mention the old wood,that old wood(barn wood) is worth allot of money for people who know how to sell it. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread