dont waste ur hardfought clad on batteries.go rechargeable

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
the slimpack on my etrac works so flawlessly.i dcided its time for the tesoro to go rechargeable.uses 1 9 volt. the 9 volt lith rechargeables are kinda tough to find but i finally did.after 5x cycles or so no problems.. like detecting 4 free. just bought myself some sweet silver w the money i saved. YESS THIS WORKS. LITH ARE NOTHING LIKE THE CRUMMY OL NICADS. make sure to get the highest amp hours battery u can find. [m Ah ] rating. and yes i keep some regular batts in car 4 just in case

Upvote 0
B

BIG61AL

Funny i am opposite of you...I use regular batteries in my detector and keep rechargeables as my back ups....I just like how much more clearer the beeps are with standard batteries.....I think its not so much as a voltage issue but something to do with the milliamps. :icon_scratch:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
BIG61AL said:
Funny i am opposite of you...I use regular batteries in my detector and keep rechargeables as my back ups....I just like how much more clearer the beeps are with standard batteries.....I think its not so much as a voltage issue but something to do with the milliamps. :icon_scratch:
..BIG61AL... i do the same thing you do so i give you my vote............

woodwizard

Mar 28, 2009
both of my detectors and my probe say to use alkline batteries,pus I've noticed that rechagables are fatter than regular batteries.Got too much money on the line to take a chance just to save pocket change-most of which some one else dropped and I picked up.

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Got too much money on the line to take a chance just to save pocket change

Yep, Minelab says that the higher voltage of the lithium rechargeables will damage my Xterra 70. Not going to risk $700 to save $2.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Casull said:
Got too much money on the line to take a chance just to save pocket change

Yep, Minelab says that the higher voltage of the lithium rechargeables will damage my Xterra 70. Not going to risk $700 to save $2.
:......................................... :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :hello2:...................................................... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
hmmm.....sure would like to hear from someone outside the detector industry itself.that is a definate authority on electronics. to find out whether or not this is true. someone that might speak for
the battery industry. but of course again there would be a conflict of interest there as they sell both kinds and make more if they can keep u buying the throw away kind.

not to mention the green aspect. meaning that thousands of used one time use batteries are kept out of the disposal system.

i cant blame anyone for not wanting to risk their expensive detector.
but cant understand the.its only a couple bucks idea.
yeah a couple bucks.over and over and over again.

adds up. plus manufacturers are very prone to several diseaseas
which are disclaimers exempting them from responsibility
for years GM would say only our parts are any good. put aftermarket parts on the car and u void the warranty. i dont think it was true.
how many times has a manufacturer put a little note posted near
some replaceable service part or point saying. use only genuine [our brand ] replacement part or lube fluid or whatever.anything else will damage ur item. hmmmm again usually not true. i have many electrical devices that i have found or gotten cheap at yard sales missing the converter. many say use only genuine catalog nomber xxx adapter .anything else will damage. in my mind it should say " or equivalent" but it seldom does.

i read the package when i bought the battery and it said.something to the order of. for use in all electronic applications where alkaline or regular batteries are indicated. hmmm that aint a direct quote.and i didnt keep the package. but i did read al the fine print carefully.

lastly i would like to tell another example that may or may not have application here ,but would at least get people to think.

for the last 3 years,i have been running my car on e85.
there are giant warnings on the pump.
FOR FLEXFUEL VEHICLES ONLY.
then i found a group of clear thinking folks on the web .
who were telling.u very well could run it w little or no mods.
where im at its over 80 cents lower than ulead right now.
when it gets colder i add a bit of ulead blend.
i have kept strict records and only report mileage reduction of only 8 percent over unlead. not the 15 to 20 percent the industry claims.
how much do u think i have saved over the last 40k miles.?
trouble free i might add. no engine or fuel delivery problems etc. in fact runs better.

this is america .do what u want. decide for ur self. im just saying.
be careful when money is involved. everyone doesnt always tell the truth if it costs them money.

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
No big conspiracy here, Scrounger. Minelab says that nickel cadminium rechargeables are fine, lithium batteries are fine, but lithium rechargeables are a no no. I'll take their word for it since they built the detector.

OP
OP
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
then shame on minelab for not making their machines compatible with the newest and best rechargeables.

i guess theyre not green enuf to care about millions of used batteries polluting our planet.

or did some money change hands.

remember,when money is involved

EVERYTHING IS A CONSPIRACY IMHO

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
then shame on minelab for not making their machines compatible with the newest and best rechargeables.

i guess theyre not green enuf to care about millions of used batteries polluting our planet.

Please. Why not shame on the battery companies for making these batteries with higher than standard voltage? BTW, I'm sick of hearing "green, green, green" all the time. ::)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Catsull... i am with you about this Green crap all it does is cost us money and is a bunch of BS.. when a Company starts with this crap i quit buyin there products................

OP
OP
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Jim_K said:
Catsull... i am with you about this Green crap all it does is cost us money and is a bunch of BS.. when a Company starts with this crap i quit buyin there products................
there are responsible companies that actually do things that are good for us all.they deserve to be praised.

problem is that many companies try to find some green angle to their advertising.when they really arent earth friendly or have good products

i guess i may be somewhat de sensitized on the green angle since .i do not watch tv in my home.only see it on trips at a hotel

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Alkaline only for me and most of the time I chuck them when they are only half spent. Not to mention my xterra runs for 40 hours at least on 4 AA's

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree on the rechargeables. That's all I use. Try to find batteries with the largest mAh rating. They'll last longer between charges.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me add my 2 pennies here.

I covered this on another post but I exclusively use re-chargables for the convenience and the ability to recharge in the jeep while on extended hunts.

I use MAHA PowerEx True 9.6V Rechargeable 9V Battery - NiMH 230mAh and yesterday I picked up two 500 mAh from my battery guy to tryout.

These are excellent and long lasting batteries made for the professional side of things such as photography and paintballing guns that suck juice.

These battery's are true 9.6 volts not like the wimpy 8.4 or 7 that you get out of a Everready rechargeable.

The other think that tickles my tummy is there is no memory development in the battery so they run true all the time.

These battery's can give me 20 to 30 hours with no problem. I can't wait to try out the 500 mAh ones.

These battery's are also slightly smaller then a regular 9V and I have no problem with installation.

Yickityoptorus

Greenie
Aug 27, 2009
scrounger said:
hmmm.....sure would like to hear from someone outside the detector industry itself.that is a definate authority on electronics.

I'm a total Noob to metal detectors and I am by no means an electronics guy. I am an electrical designer in the construction industry and have had a good deal of experience (laymans experience that is) with some types of rechargeable batteries from one of my other hobbies, RC Airplanes.

There are three commonly used rechargeable types. Ni-Cad, Ni-MH, and Li-Pro. In my experience, most people who use Ni-Cads unssuccesfully simply haven't learned how to maintain them properly. You can't just half drain it, then full charge for 13 or 16 hours. You will kill them this way. You can't let them go dead on a regular basis, again you will ruin them. They must be regularly cycled e.t.c. They also don't hold there charge as long as alkalines do (when sitting). That's why they need to be cycled and fully charged the same day you plan to use them. But this is all rather moot because they are actually getting hard to find.

Ni-MH batteries are a considerable step up and have higher capacity. They also generaly maintain a very constant voltage, (unlike alkaline or ni-cad) throughout the discharge of the battery, I would think this would make them ideal for MDs. These must also be carefully charged. If you let them go dead, overcharge them by not draining properly before charging, or leave them sit for three days before use, they won't perform.

I would also like to hear from a real electronics expert on this because I just can't understand why so many electronics want to use alkaline. Voltage is voltage, and as long as its in the proper range, I can't understand what damage could be caused. C'mon man, There's got to be some electronics guys in a metal detecting forum.

I'm saying again, I'm not an electronics guy, my field is very different.

But I did stay in a Holiday in once :laughing7:

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Voltage is voltage but 9.6V is significantly higher than the nominal 9V that a standard alkaline puts out. Also, keep in mind that some detectors take two or more batteries which compounds the problem. So two 9.6V batteries in series produces 19.2V instead of 18V which could be above the accepted maximum power supply voltage for some integrated circuits. For example, the CMOS 4001 NAND gate typically has a supported voltage supply range of 3V-18V. So it is reasonable to assume that using batteries with a much higher voltage "could" damage a detector.

I would agree with scrounger that companies should design detectors that work with a wider range of voltages. This is easier said than done and increases costs so that's why they don't bother doing it. Also, many older detectors were developed before 9.6V batteries even existed. So you can't expect those to handle the extra voltage correctly. These companies should also consider supporting lower voltages as well. Most "9V" rechargables are significantly lower than 9V with some being only 7.2V.

In most cases you won't be harming your detector but it will likely not work as well. Circuit bias currents and other design aspects are made to work with a nominal range of input voltages. Operating outside of that range will result in different circuit behavior including poor performance and even physical failure.

To be safe you should check with the manufacturer. Then decide whether or not you want to heed their advice. :wink:

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
I guess im lucky..My E-Trac has a Re-chargable with no memory..And i use a Sun-Ray inline probe(uses the Detectors battery)..I havent bought batteries in a Long time.....They can add up real fast.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why don't you call your etrac dealer and ask him about using the rechargable batteries in your detector. who else would be the right person to ask if he tell yo it is a bad idea stop using them if he says it is Ok then continue using them.....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions