Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, a dowsing rod with a control box, seachcoil, and headphones! :laughing7:

Now that I have your attention... I went out for 11 hours today and dug 4 targets. Had a wild hair to go dig somewhere totally crazy that I'd never dug, way off away from any site we'd ever found, and almost in the backswamp. Here's the video.

Three of my targets were flat buttons (was pleased to see that one had full silver gilding, which almost never happens in the wet, soggy soil down here). After the first 2 hours I dug the first flat button and had eyeballed 2 clay pipe stems. At that point, I thought the area might have some potential. Around the 6 hours mark I got the half real. It's a holed 1808. :headbang:

184_1045.JPG 184_1047.JPG

Then picked up two more flat buttons in the remaining 5 hours.

This is a nice milestone for our team, as it is the 60th Spanish Silver that my team and I have dug since 2012 and my personal 35th Real dug in Louisiana. :thumbsup:

HR obv resized.jpg HR rev resized.jpg finds resized.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 26

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on yet another Spanish silver - Carolus III....too much Spanish silver down there Buck, pls send some back up here! :laughing7:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on yet another Spanish silver - Carolus III....too much Spanish silver down there Buck, pls send some back up here! :laughing7:

You guys up there had the US mint, which caused Spanish Silver to circulate less in the early 1800s. Seems like it circulated much longer here, till the mid 1840s--when New Orleans mint coins started fulfilling the demand. That said, I think it's part of the reason we get lots of early 1800s reales, and also why we see lots of 1820s and even 1830s larger denominations which circulated down here. I'd love to live in a part of the US where I had a shot at digging a Draped Bust, but those early Philly coins will not show up down here. Virtually a 0% chance. Heck, I haven't even dug a large cent this year. None of us have. We only dig 1-2 coppers per year, if that tells you anything about the circulation of Philly coins in the Louisiana Territory. If NOLA minted copper coins, it'd be another story. I find it all fascinating...

-Buck

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Ok dude, you almost had me going with that dowsing rod stuff, I'm not a believer but you'll find plenty that will say that it's legit, but if it were the cats ass, wouldn't everyone be doing that in stead of detecting?!?!

You're keeping the silvers on the right side of the ground still, great to see!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like your Spanish coin may have been nailed to an object at one time for good luck, check out this tree in ingleton north Yorkshire for seeing is believing . Nice find, vanzutphen

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got me! I wanted to see a dowsing rod found coin. Awww,....let down.
Cool finds you silver Spanish coin finder you!

The button is awesome!

A wild hair, and totally crazy, hmmm......I'll have to try that sometime! Nice results!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good job on that Spanish milestone!, I remember when I dug my 1 and only Spanish, such a great feeling

congrats buck, great hunt as always!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok dude, you almost had me going with that dowsing rod stuff, I'm not a believer but you'll find plenty that will say that it's legit, but if it were the cats ass, wouldn't everyone be doing that in stead of detecting?!?!

You're keeping the silvers on the right side of the ground still, great to see!

Haha, I knew that'd raise some eyebrows. ;) Thanks, friend for your kind words. You aren't kidding about the dowsing. Either it's the best kept secret or...

I think I'll take Occam's Razor for 100, Alex! :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got me! I wanted to see a dowsing rod found coin. Awww,....let down.
Cool finds you silver Spanish coin finder you!

The button is awesome!

A wild hair, and totally crazy, hmmm......I'll have to try that sometime! Nice results!

Yep. Totally crazy, because I didn't think it'd work. But sometimes it takes that type of crazy thinking to be successful. Of course I could've wandered around for 30 hours out there and not passed over that coin, and it still wouldn't have changed the fact that there was something good to find. Perspective is easy if you got something good or nothing at all...

-Buck

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Spanish silver!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good job on that Spanish milestone!, I remember when I dug my 1 and only Spanish, such a great feeling

congrats buck, great hunt as always!

Thanks so much, cjon! :thumbsup:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang sweet find. Too bad it wasn't really a dowsing rod that did the finding though. I was certain that the laws of chance had finally allowed a dowsing rod to "locate" treasure just by the sheer amount of times that they failed to do so. :laughing7:

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RESOLVE. There's no other word that would describe the hunt that you just did Buck. Congrats on getting yet another silver out of the ground, and I'm liking the holed looks of this one as it's well worn and has character.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Buck! Congrats on the Spanish real count as well. Also your explanation about mint location makes perfect sense. Another reason for the heavy use of Reals is the Spanish trade in the Gulf. Mexico City minted coins like yours were a close trip by ship. I guess that means they'll be more to find;)

Congrats Buck

Steve

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the milestones BB! You guys definitely earn them. Let us hope for many more to come!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure your arm is about to fall off Buck after all that swinging and very little stopping to dig. I hate when that happens. At least you came home with a nice keeper. Congrats on reaching that milestone, and it sounds like you're probably gonna have to wait until the fall to add to your totals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread