Someone Was Drunk!

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone!

I've been a Tnet stalker for a few years now, but never really felt like I had anything to share. Until today! I know I didn't find it with a detector, but it is gold....

WHoOOOO!

So I was driving down to Home Depot, and I spotted a yard sale on the side of the road with some large sheets of tempered glass leaned up against the tree. So I pulled over because I've got a project I need some glass for. (Trying to build some closet doors)

The person there says I can take the 80 by 24 inch sheets for 2 bucks each... SOLD! Yeah! It's just what I needed! :hello2:

So then I start to poke around. I bought a brand new apple computer keyboard in the box for a buck, and then two awesome over the mirror light fixtures (each for a buck). And I make my way over to the clothes and counter.... I almost fell out of my skin when I got to the jewelry table, which was shockingly vacant of other people (probably because most of the stuff there was a bunch of rain soaked linens and stuffed animals....)

And I saw this straight off the bat...

IMG_7097.JPG IMG_7102.JPG

I'm no sucker, but it looked legit, and when I saw the markings - I had to ask... how much you want for it? They said 10 bucks for the set, and the box had 18K written on it. *MINE*

That got my interest piqued, so I kept looking.

I look around some more and start shaking when I start pulling great jewelry... I mean, like NICE, from stacks of costume junk.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_7098.JPG IMG_7100.JPG IMG_7101.JPG

All in all I take up the necklace set, the opal earrings, the CZ pendant, and the aquamarine pendant - plus the tempered glass panels and a few other nicknacks and sterling pieces to checkout. And I look down at a row of watches and see this... and I kind of stopped breathing.

IMG_7090.JPG

I was a little suspicious at first, because let's be real.... who would have a Rolex mixed in with this bunch... but the more I looked the more I was convinced it was a vintage Day-Date (probably from the 70s or earlier). I even wound it up, to see if the movement was smooth, which is was..... So I put it in my stack, wondering what they're gonna ask for it.

I'm SHOCKED when they total up what everything to $56.00, because I would have paid that just for the set of tempered glass panels. I got my money ready, and then the man stops for a second. He then says, oh yea, - it's half price day because they want the stuff gone... - I ask him, if he's sure.... because I wasn't gonna argue... but he said he liked me, so he did it. I walk out for $28.00 with 18K, 14K, 10K and a vintage Rolex.

It's too bad that I like shiny things, and will probably keep it all.

The large gold necklace set checks out at 18K, the Victorian Opal Earrings are marked 14K, and so is the Aquamarine pendant and earrings set. The three CZ pendant is marked 10k. And I got a set of cool Jasper and sterling earrings and a green glass and sterling set of earrings as well.

I'm wondering if anyone has reference materials on Rolex? Or where I could start looking. It's been worn for at least thirty years, judging by the wear and tear, and when I wound it up, and it runs smooth as glass - no tick-tocking at all. I'm certain it was Grandpappy's watch that no one knew about...

I've always heard about sales like this, where people hit big. BUT MAN. I didn't think they still happened.

Attachments

• IMG_7095.JPG
    IMG_7095.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Upvote 40

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right place, right time. Awesome score.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like shiney things too.. but couldn't imagine only spending 28 bucks for such a great score!!!! Congrats on the Rolex, and bling

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Unbelievable! That's so bloody awesome it's hard to fathom!
Banner score all the way!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Score ! Good eye mate !!! There are some here who really know the world of Rolex - I have know doubt that you'll
get some info very soon .

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys! Your kindness and encouragement makes this even BETTER!

Any Rolex people out there that could help a girl out?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Are you a savvy shopper or what!

Congrats on a fabulous find at basement bargain price! WELL DONE!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, let's hope you turn this great of a find into a weekly habit!

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, let's hope you turn this great of a find into a weekly habit!

I'll go along with that! Who needs a desk job, if you can turn this kinda profit.... now I just have to stop keeping the stuff. Sheesh!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, did you score! Some people just don't realize the value of jewelry and gold. What is amazing is that the stuff wasn't snatched up by other buyers. Must have been your lucky day. Don't know anything about roles but between Google and EBay you should be able to get a good estimate of its value.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epic score. Yes these things happen. The old rich relative dies and the next of kin sell it all not knowing what it is. I've scored similarly at garage and moving sales, but honestly I've never seen anything quite like this. You may have just made the most valuable garage sale purchase in recent history. Congrats! Thank you for sharing it all with us! Must have been a heart pounding experience! :treasurechest::thumbsup:

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, did you score! Some people just don't realize the value of jewelry and gold. What is amazing is that the stuff wasn't snatched up by other buyers. Must have been your lucky day. Don't know anything about roles but between Google and EBay you should be able to get a good estimate of its value.

Hey Susan! Thanks for the suggestion! I actually found the exact necklace that sold on Ebay a few weeks ago that went for $950.00 I've got the matching earrings so I wouldn't mind a cool grand chilling in my pocket. I was shocked no one had gotten it either, because I wasn't even there early. I rolled in at around noon. Most of the stuff there did look pretty junky, but it pays off to dig - I'm learning!!

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epic score. Yes these things happen. The old rich relative dies and the next of kin sell it all not knowing what it is. I've scored similarly at garage and moving sales, but honestly I've never seen anything quite like this. You may have just made the most valuable garage sale purchase in recent history. Congrats! Thank you for sharing it all with us! Must have been a heart pounding experience! :treasurechest::thumbsup:

I felt like I was going to faint. I just kept thinking "Keep it cool, kid. Keep it cool." It worked for a little while, until I got in my truck and about half a mile down the road. I had to hoot out loud! hahaha.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll go along with that! Who needs a desk job, if you can turn this kinda profit.... now I just have to stop keeping the stuff. Sheesh!

Gotta hang on to at least one of those treasures...........as a reminder..........tomorrows hunt awaits.........

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how many rather different forms treasure hunting can take - thrift store shopping , yard/garage sales , bottle digging ,
coin roll hunting , metal detecting , prospecting for gold /gems - to name just a few of my favorites . I have a good friend who
has learned a lot about a particular kind of gemstone ( I wont specify here to protect his interest ) but he can cherry pick the
valuable ones off ebay listings - and score massively because of his expertise on this stone . There are tons of people out
there who don't know pot metal from high karat gold .They have no clue as to what a hallmark is or denotes. Many of them
were born well after silver coinage had gone away , therefore they also know little or nothing about collectible coins . Please
don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting they're not fine people - they just don't know or care about some of these areas
that myself and other "treasure hunters" are pretty much obsessed with . Keeping an open mind about what constitutes
"treasure" is one of the most valuable lessons I'm learning .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread