Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, a dowsing rod with a control box, seachcoil, and headphones! :laughing7:

Now that I have your attention... I went out for 11 hours today and dug 4 targets. Had a wild hair to go dig somewhere totally crazy that I'd never dug, way off away from any site we'd ever found, and almost in the backswamp. Here's the video.

Three of my targets were flat buttons (was pleased to see that one had full silver gilding, which almost never happens in the wet, soggy soil down here). After the first 2 hours I dug the first flat button and had eyeballed 2 clay pipe stems. At that point, I thought the area might have some potential. Around the 6 hours mark I got the half real. It's a holed 1808. :headbang:

184_1045.JPG 184_1047.JPG

Then picked up two more flat buttons in the remaining 5 hours.

This is a nice milestone for our team, as it is the 60th Spanish Silver that my team and I have dug since 2012 and my personal 35th Real dug in Louisiana. :thumbsup:

HR obv resized.jpg HR rev resized.jpg finds resized.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 26

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May have to get me some of those rods lol. Great result buddy

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn, seriously hats off Buckle! Your finds never cease to amaze me!! Thanks for sharing, and keep them coming, PLEASE!! Cheers

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing hunts buddy. I will return. When I do, look out ;) Congrats on all the inspiring digs.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang sweet find. Too bad it wasn't really a dowsing rod that did the finding though. I was certain that the laws of chance had finally allowed a dowsing rod to "locate" treasure just by the sheer amount of times that they failed to do so. :laughing7:

Hahaha Good one! :notworthy:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RESOLVE. There's no other word that would describe the hunt that you just did Buck. Congrats on getting yet another silver out of the ground, and I'm liking the holed looks of this one as it's well worn and has character.

I'm not that old, but I was worn out from that long day in the heat.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Buck! Congrats on the Spanish real count as well. Also your explanation about mint location makes perfect sense. Another reason for the heavy use of Reals is the Spanish trade in the Gulf. Mexico City minted coins like yours were a close trip by ship. I guess that means they'll be more to find;)

Congrats Buck

Steve

I'll take every one that I can get. I like the Seated coins, and amassing a nice collection of New Orleans minted silver...but I'd take a Silver Real over a Seated just about anyday. Reales were the coins that made the economy of this country run during the colonial era. They purchased ale. The bought land. They financed indigo farming, and later on, sugar cane. The pirates carried them, stole them, and hoarded them.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure your arm is about to fall off Buck after all that swinging and very little stopping to dig. I hate when that happens. At least you came home with a nice keeper. Congrats on reaching that milestone, and it sounds like you're probably gonna have to wait until the fall to add to your totals.

I'm going to keep adding as long as I can. We do get out in 100 degree temps here, and 110 heat index days, in the mosquito filled mornings to slog through the muddy soupy mess. No rocks down here this close to the Gulf, so the mud is all fine silt, which means it's more like quicksand. If you step into a crop field and stop moving, your foot might well come up and your shrimp boot stay entombed in the mud. So you learn to keep moving. Gets exhausting though for 10 hours in both heat and mud, due to the energy expended on walking, as well as dragging along the weight of the extra mud on the shovel and shoes.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats, your silver streak continues… I just mentioned it to hunthicks the other day, on how it's crazy how much spanish you guys find down there compared to us…. WTG

This has been a low numbers year, at only 3 dug. But it's due to the time frame of the sites we've been hunting. All the CW relics coming up, and mid-1800s trash pits and Seated coins. So it's really all about the age range of the site. It now appears that if we hunt any site in use during or prior to the 1830s here and we will find Spanish Silver, pretty much guaranteed.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing hunts buddy. I will return. When I do, look out ;) Congrats on all the inspiring digs.

I know you will. Luck has not been on your side lately on even finding the time to dig. Weather. All of it. You're saving up to dig something amazing. Hope we can dig together again soon, buddy.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not that old, but I was worn out from that long day in the heat.

There's no barriers to age when it comes to the hot humid weather, head thumping every time one bends to dig, getting up one feels like doing the spin. Sometimes it just doesn't matter how much water one drinks it's just plain hot and sticky. We had a day like yours on Saturday and then on Sunday it would have been nice to see something close to 50f.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread