Dr Tones using Equinox at the beach (video)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much of a test.....Just about any machine will find stuff in the dry sand. Let's see it perform in the wet and water......and what kind of depth will it get?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it looks a lot warmer than here. By like 75 degrees warmer. Machine as shown seems to operate as their competition does, but it's a short video and normal conditions. He wasn't looking for rings 2 feet under as he didn't have the opportunity. Like to see more live digs by others too.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes its not just about the finds, folks. As far as I could tell, the volcanic rock, wet salt sand, and military EMI (notorious in Hawaii) didn't seem to cause too much chatter with the Equinox and that is all I really cared about vs. the finds. So, as far as I am concerned, that was actually a useful and telling video despite the meager finds.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
What military EMI?? All it said was there used to be a practise base. There wouldn’t be any electrical interference from military hardware left in the ground. EMI is caused from a surrounding electrical current. Wires, underground cables, another detector near by. Unless the military left live electrical devises on the island which I doubt. So there would be no “military” EMI

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have run my machine of another brand right next to an electric fence, so emi has been dealt with. Technology is there to get rid of it. Even my $329 Tesoro Cibola does good in wet salt sand. You just have to make to tiny tweaks to it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The video sucked. Manufacturers use these people as " guinea pigs " to get the name of their product out. They just need people that get off on doing this stuff.

hi kemper

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pleasant thread. NOT! Hope 2018 goes a lot better for y'all because you have some serious anger out there. Doesn't make for a pleasant or long life. I detect to get away from stress. Anyway, have fun bashing me after I leave.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
smokey I always look forward to winter to catch up on naps, I am already tired of napping

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a nap yesterday. Hugh, Jeff and I go way back....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pleasant thread. NOT! Hope 2018 goes a lot better for y'all because you have some serious anger out there. Doesn't make for a pleasant or long life. I detect to get away from stress. Anyway, have fun bashing me after I leave.

bash you for what? I must have missed something

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What military EMI?? All it said was there used to be a practise base. There wouldn’t be any electrical interference from military hardware left in the ground. EMI is caused from a surrounding electrical current. Wires, underground cables, another detector near by. Unless the military left live electrical devises on the island which I doubt. So there would be no “military” EMI

You are right, I mistakenly thought he was on Oahu not the Big Island. But there is a relatively significant US Military presence in Hawaii including relatively large RF emitters. Glad you know better than me. Thanks for setting me straight.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I’ve watched hundreds of videos of guys detecting in Hawaii and never once heard or complained of military EMI. If it was notorious in Hawaii and not one video I’ve ever seen, I’ve never heard a Detectorist talk about military EMI. This is new to me. Please explain more.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bash you for what? I must have missed something

Looking at Confessor and others, seems like a lot of negativity so I expect to get bashed for pointing it out.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve Herschbach can explain it to you. Ask him. He's the one who pointed it out on Brandon's video in another forum. TNET rules prevent me from linking it here so you are on your own.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come to think of it, I've detected within 1/4 mile of a manned Coast Guard station, within 1 mile of a "don't know what kind of military installation it was, but when I drove by I saw a zillion dishes and funny looking antennae there" and lots of cameras and a huge radio tower, I guess for the airport which was 1/2 mile away, and never had a problem with EMI. I also detect directly under power lines. So are some machines prone to EMI death? I just remember once digging with someone who had this huge PI machine, I think it was PI, don't remember which model anymore, I went right behind him with my vlf machine under power transmission lines and pulled out a lot of minies right after he left.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Not bashing bud, not me! I’ve just never heard of military EMI. Only military EMI I know of is called Extra Military Instruction when a soldier is out of line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread