Draped Bust Copper Found In Junk Jar

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,
It's been a long time since I've been on the forum. Not much detecting lately, been busy. Anyway this week I was going through some of my 'junk coppers' that I put into a little glass container. While inspecting under the loop light I saw a draped bust on one of the coppers. After a bit of cleaning out popped a date of 1798 and a pretty nice coin. I'm not sure why I put this one in the junk jar... I am very pleased with this one as I was not expecting anything like this in my junk jar. I still remember where I found it in that corn field ;D
Sorry about the pic out of focus I took it after I put the coin in a holder :-\

Attachments

• DSC06461.JPG
    DSC06461.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,097
  • DSC06463.JPG
    DSC06463.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 1,095
Upvote 0

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you dig this Large Cent?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice refind :icon_thumright:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not having an area of "junk coppers" lying around this cold Denver apartment, I can't fully feel for you. I savor that penny though. I would have always taken care of it. Not just tossing it aside like some pull-tab. We have pull-tabs. It would fit in my palm more securely.
You did well.
Carl

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some goodies in the junk that i throw in a box.
But not anything near that level.

That is outstanding. Congratulations.

Banner.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. A great old copper. Congrats on your find (twice). :thumbsup: I wonder if you could determine which variety it is.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Awesome find and re-find :thumbsup:
Let me get this straight... where you live, common date, newer, or poor condition large cents just automatically go into the junk copper jar? Here in Illinois, any LC found would automatically be a prized find.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had a junk jar like that to keep me busy over the Winter. :thumbsup:

wodens

Apr 22, 2008
Ok first of all, nice find there Ed. Secondly, some of you guys give him a break :wink: I was there in the field when he dug this coin and I have to tell you it just looked like a blank disc. I can understand for you guys that live out where large cents are rare that a blank copper disc might be center stage in your collection immediately. But where we live we find them almost ever outing. I have been to the UK and I have to tell you an average hunter will find maybe 100+ such disc's a year and most will go to the scrap Pile and not a place where they will be looked at later. So once again nice find and good for you to have kept that coin somewhere to look at again :icon_thumleft:

HH
Alan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wodens said:
Ok first of all, nice find there Ed. Secondly, some of you guys give him a break :wink: I was there in the field when he dug this coin and I have to tell you it just looked like a blank disc. I can understand for you guys that live out where large cents are rare that a blank copper disc might be center stage in your collection immediately. But where we live we find them almost ever outing. I have been to the UK and I have to tell you an average hunter will find maybe 100+ such disc's a year and most will go to the scrap Pile and not a place where they will be looked at later. So once again nice find and good for you to have kept that coin somewhere to look at again :icon_thumleft:

HH
Alan

So you both messed up and missed a good coin. :wink:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
That was a pleasant surprise on your part when you revisited your junkjar. I have a similar junkbox full of relics that I plan on revisiting in my old age when the CKK machine grinds to a halt. This will probably happen 30 years or so in the future and the floor joists are sagging from the weight of coppers and relics. ;D
Chris

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed, that is one reason why all coppers should be looked at carefully and cleaned, I find a lot of mine that look like nothing until they are cleaned and sometimes very pleasantly surprised at the results. Also, same goes for buttons, to not clean a lot of the late 1700s and early 1800s buttons is to deny yourself of knowing the beauty lying underneath the crud, be surprised how many have beautiful designs under that crud. (Not to mention those plain faced flat buttons that could be a historic/valuable Andrew Jackson campaign button backmark)

The Brits are making a mistake in not taking some of their coppers more seriously, a lot of the coppers they consider junk, actually have more value than ones they prize. You never see our Brit friends posting KGIII coppers and yet they have the same counterfeits we do and some are very valuable, since collecting them is desired, thus the supply and demand is alive and well. Also, by posting their more "modern" finds like KGII and KGIII Halfpence, they can help in the research that is going on in the field of counterfeiting those halfpence in the mid to late 1700s.

Also, one of your fellow NH hunters I know sent me some of his junk coins I won in a contest he found and after careful cleaning, I could ID most of them and one of them was a Wellington token.....

We spend all the time researching, hunting, the least we can do is followup on the hunt and do our best to ID our finds, a major part of the hobby.

IMHO

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Ed, that is one reason why all coppers should be looked at carefully and cleaned, I find a lot of mine that look like nothing until they are cleaned and sometimes very pleasantly surprised at the results. Also, same goes for buttons, to not clean a lot of the late 1700s and early 1800s buttons is to deny yourself of knowing the beauty lying underneath the crud, be surprised how many have beautiful designs under that crud. (Not to mention those plain faced flat buttons that could be a historic/valuable Andrew Jackson campaign button backmark)

The Brits are making a mistake in not taking some of their coppers more seriously, a lot of the coppers they consider junk, actually have more value than ones they prize. You never see our Brit friends posting KGIII coppers and yet they have the same counterfeits we do and some are very valuable, since collecting them is desired, thus the supply and demand is alive and well. Also, by posting their more "modern" finds like KGII and KGIII Halfpence, they can help in the research that is going on in the field of counterfeiting those halfpence in the mid to late 1700s.

Also, one of your fellow NH hunters I know sent me some of his junk coins I won in a contest he found and after careful cleaning, I could ID most of them and one of them was a Wellington token.....

We spend all the time researching, hunting, the least we can do is followup on the hunt and do our best to ID our finds, a major part of the hobby.

IMHO

Don

Trust me, I could make a few brits very sick to their stomach. ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:

IMHO

Don

Absolutely correct. :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:

IMHO

Don

Trust me, I could make a few brits very sick to their stomach. ;D
What you mean you don't already :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread