Draped Bust Copper Found In Junk Jar

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,
It's been a long time since I've been on the forum. Not much detecting lately, been busy. Anyway this week I was going through some of my 'junk coppers' that I put into a little glass container. While inspecting under the loop light I saw a draped bust on one of the coppers. After a bit of cleaning out popped a date of 1798 and a pretty nice coin. I'm not sure why I put this one in the junk jar... I am very pleased with this one as I was not expecting anything like this in my junk jar. I still remember where I found it in that corn field ;D
Sorry about the pic out of focus I took it after I put the coin in a holder :-\

Attachments

• DSC06461.JPG
    DSC06461.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,097
  • DSC06463.JPG
    DSC06463.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 1,095
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
Ed, that is one reason why all coppers should be looked at carefully and cleaned, I find a lot of mine that look like nothing until they are cleaned and sometimes very pleasantly surprised at the results. Also, same goes for buttons, to not clean a lot of the late 1700s and early 1800s buttons is to deny yourself of knowing the beauty lying underneath the crud, be surprised how many have beautiful designs under that crud. (Not to mention those plain faced flat buttons that could be a historic/valuable Andrew Jackson campaign button backmark)

The Brits are making a mistake in not taking some of their coppers more seriously, a lot of the coppers they consider junk, actually have more value than ones they prize. You never see our Brit friends posting KGIII coppers and yet they have the same counterfeits we do and some are very valuable, since collecting them is desired, thus the supply and demand is alive and well. Also, by posting their more "modern" finds like KGII and KGIII Halfpence, they can help in the research that is going on in the field of counterfeiting those halfpence in the mid to late 1700s.

Also, one of your fellow NH hunters I know sent me some of his junk coins I won in a contest he found and after careful cleaning, I could ID most of them and one of them was a Wellington token.....

We spend all the time researching, hunting, the least we can do is followup on the hunt and do our best to ID our finds, a major part of the hobby.

IMHO

Don

Trust me, I could make a few brits very sick to their stomach. ;D
What you mean you don't already :laughing9:

"What you mean"

You think having had an English - English professor, you'd do better than that!

Yeah I agree, my finds are sick! 8)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

I have been checking my junk buckets of late :P amazing what gets chucked in there :o all the copper coins are in the house now :-\ there going to take some sorting :(

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
Ed, that is one reason why all coppers should be looked at carefully and cleaned, I find a lot of mine that look like nothing until they are cleaned and sometimes very pleasantly surprised at the results. Also, same goes for buttons, to not clean a lot of the late 1700s and early 1800s buttons is to deny yourself of knowing the beauty lying underneath the crud, be surprised how many have beautiful designs under that crud. (Not to mention those plain faced flat buttons that could be a historic/valuable Andrew Jackson campaign button backmark)

The Brits are making a mistake in not taking some of their coppers more seriously, a lot of the coppers they consider junk, actually have more value than ones they prize. You never see our Brit friends posting KGIII coppers and yet they have the same counterfeits we do and some are very valuable, since collecting them is desired, thus the supply and demand is alive and well. Also, by posting their more "modern" finds like KGII and KGIII Halfpence, they can help in the research that is going on in the field of counterfeiting those halfpence in the mid to late 1700s.

Also, one of your fellow NH hunters I know sent me some of his junk coins I won in a contest he found and after careful cleaning, I could ID most of them and one of them was a Wellington token.....

We spend all the time researching, hunting, the least we can do is followup on the hunt and do our best to ID our finds, a major part of the hobby.

IMHO

Don

Trust me, I could make a few brits very sick to their stomach. ;D
What you mean you don't already :laughing9:

"What you mean"

You think having had an English - English professor, you'd do better than that!

Yeah I agree, my finds are sick! 8)
No never had a Professor...I come from the school of hard knocks and having the $hit kicked out of you :laughing7:

SS

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, having the $hit kicked out of one certainly tends to keep their Ego in check. :P

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
good post as every one now is checking there junk draws cause its to cold to dig lol

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Sniffy said:
Did you dig this Large Cent?
Hi sniffy, yes I dug it in one of our corn fields that we hit each year. This one escaped me somehow and wound up in my little jar that I keep all my copper disks. I think it must have just been so covered with crud that I thought it was a disk. I got bored last night and went through all my jars just messing around and noticed that it was in better condition than I realized and it is the very first American LC to break the 1800 barrier for me( other than the Vermont copper I posted a few years ago)

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Not having an area of "junk coppers" lying around this cold Denver apartment, I can't fully feel for you. I savor that penny though. I would have always taken care of it. Not just tossing it aside like some pull-tab. We have pull-tabs. It would fit in my palm more securely.
You did well.
Carl
Yah I felt pretty bad but it is now in my coin case and quite happy. I'm psyched as I have been wanting an American LC pre-1800 for a long time....

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
p2c said:
Awesome find and re-find :thumbsup:
Let me get this straight... where you live, common date, newer, or poor condition large cents just automatically go into the junk copper jar? Here in Illinois, any LC found would automatically be a prized find.

Oh no, any LC that I can identify goes into my coin shadow box that I built. This one is in there now :)

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
rogues71 said:
good post as every one now is checking there junk draws cause its to cold to dig lol

Yes perhaps this post has turned out for the best. If not for everyone here we would never get to share all the good information and experiences that we do. This was a great experience for me 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread