Dream hunt gone bad

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got permission to hunt a 1900 Victorian home from a worker remodeling the place.Everything i dug was just clad and it was getting to hot to hot for clad.Went around the backyard and nothing but one asian coin.Going back to the front i got a hit around a penny.After digging a 7 inch hole out pops a 1905 IH :o.I heard a voice that said its mine i own the place.Well it finally happened to me.Not only did he take the IH but warned me that this house is a Historical Place.That IH would be only my second .I now know how others feel when you find the perfect site but come away with nothing :'( AA

Upvote 0

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
That sucks! I would have been like :-\, WTF!!!!! Then I would have packed up my gear and got out of there! If he wants to be an ass like that, tell him to go spend hundreds of his dollars to dig up "His Pennies"!

:'( :'( :'( For you AA

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does suck!!
Maybe the Building Commission should pay a visit to make sure everything is up to code on this guy's place ;)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bummer >:( >:( Cheer up AA, there's better places to detect.

;) RR

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That does suck....but keep in mind, a worker there has no business telling you it's ok. I am one of those workers, and I wouldn't DARE give permission to do ANYTHING in someone else's yard. Not saying the owner went about it in the best way, but you never really know his reasoning/plans. Always seek out the property OWNER.

Just a suggestion.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
True, the worker had no right to let you hunt unless he asked the owner first. Such a hard lesson and be happy it was an 1877 Indian!!

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have tossed it back and he could go find it!!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. What was worse for me was that I took a buddy with me to a place I had "permission" to hunt.

So sorry about this. Why do people have to be such jerks? I mean what good did it do him to treat you like this? What is wrong with people today, I just don't understand it!!

Anyway keep your chin up. At least you have found an IH my oldest coin to-date is a 1918 Wheat.

Hang in there and keep swinging.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Cosmic, I'd have tossed it for him to find. We used to have a farm next to where I grew up and there were these guys that knock golf balls back into the woods onto the farm property. They'd rarely go back and pick them up so they'd just lay there until they dry rotted. Me and a buddy of mine decided we'd ask the farmer's permission to pick them up and he not only gave us permission but thanked us for doing it. We picked up around 350 golf balls, a lot of them were still in decent shape. We cleaned them and were getting ready to sell them when there was a phone call from one of the golfers, and they wanted their golf balls back. Well, they got them back. We stood in the road with baseball bats and put all of them back where we found them. No cows were injured.

Ramapirate

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I had an old dude walk up to me and tell me he lost a ring. He pointed to the one on my finger and said it "looked just like that".

It was a public park, so I asked him where he thought he lost it. That caught the guy off guard. Then I quickly added " We have the same taste in wedding rings. What kind on inscription did your ring have?

The old dude had nothing to say... :D

People amaze me!

Ridley

MissyW72

Jun 25, 2007
Houston
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
That sucks but I agree with others and would have tossed the penny.

Ramapirate said:
I'm with Cosmic, I'd have tossed it for him to find. We used to have a farm next to where I grew up and there were these guys that knock golf balls back into the woods onto the farm property. They'd rarely go back and pick them up so they'd just lay there until they dry rotted. Me and a buddy of mine decided we'd ask the farmer's permission to pick them up and he not only gave us permission but thanked us for doing it. We picked up around 350 golf balls, a lot of them were still in decent shape. We cleaned them and were getting ready to sell them when there was a phone call from one of the golfers, and they wanted their golf balls back. Well, they got them back. We stood in the road with baseball bats and put all of them back where we found them. No cows were injured.

Ramapirate

If it was me, I would have told them to go the HELLO. They didn't have permission to get them and you did. Doesn't seem they were to interested in retrieving them anyway, until they found out you picked them all up for them!

coinhunter53

Jul 13, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer E-Trac, Shadow X 5, Fisher 1266X.
The last time that happened to me, I told the guy he could have it and threw it as far as I could, then told him to go buy his own metal detector and find it again. He about freaked. I walked away with his jaw sitting on the ground. HH...Jesse.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I'd go with Cosmic too. Years ago I was out at the lake with a guy when he got angry with his now ex wife. During the arguement he took off this 3/4K diamond ring she had given him,and threw it in the lake. About 4 years later the lake went down and I went out there with my metal detector. After a couple hours of searching I found the ring. Needless to say, when he found out about it he threw a big hissy and demanded that I give it to him. I told him to meet me at the park (the lake) and I would make things right. When he showed up and demanded the ring, I threw it as far back into the lake as I could and told him if it meant so much to him, go find it. We never spoke to each other again, and I've never regreted it either. Asking is one thing, but demanding is just plain rude.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
We learn as we go. I bet from now on you will get permission from the owner. The worker should have deferred you to the owner. Still sorry to hear you lost your second IH. :'( Any I do think it was in poor taste the way the owner did it.

Bob

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Hard lesson AA. Always talk to the owner never a worker. The guy was a jerk for the way he handled it though and if you had of told him to go find it himself after you chucked it away he could have pressed Trespassing charges against you. Just not worth the hassel. Another IH will come your way soon. HH

Desertfox

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That does suck,

Too bad man. It's o.k though. You'll get more out there. I've found hundreds of indians. There all hard to give away. I have never had to give one away.

I don't hunt sites to often that need permission. Fair game is fair game. I'm not gonna come to your house. Sweat and work hard. And supply the unit. Then give away the only thing I find.

Hang in there. I've given back items to people that were valueable and it is tough. But in the end the detecting gods have came through and blessed me with alot more.

HH Jer

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
cosmic said:
I would have tossed it back and he could go find it!!

Please try to remember that what you do while detecting reflects on all of us not just you. And yes I am speaking from experience I posted a month or so ago
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,90750.0.html

Being rude because someone was rude to you might make you feel good for a little while but you will regret it later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread