Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my V3i. You will never outgrow it and you can tweak it to your hearts content. You can use factory programs to start with if your new at it and then customize your own program to fit your soil conditions and hunting style.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love White's machines but I'm totally sold on the CTX.

For what it's worth, I pounded a 1940s house in my neighborhood with a MXT Pro over the space of a year. I cherry picked, then dug iffy tones, and then dug low tones. I found a handful of bullets, a handful of wheat pennies, a bunch of clad, a gold ring, an early great seal button, a few centavos, a silver Washington, two Rosies, a war nickel, and a Merc. This included the 12" coil and a 5.3 Eclipse coil and lots of swing time.

After I got used to the CTX I went back over there....I found two pennies and they were super-iffy. Probably hit them with the MXT but skipped them...only dug them with the CTX to test my theory.

I think knowing your machine inside out trumps a high-dollar detector that gets purchased for shiggles. Now...if you have a high-end machine AND know the nuances of iffy targets and heavy trash, watch out...game on.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the MXT with a different coil can give a better enough signal to dig, I bought a detech ultimate13" coil and took it over an area pounded with the D2 coil I was trying to get more depth. While it didn't really get anymore depth over the D2 it made a couple deep silver's on edge sound enough better signal to dig. So no matter what detector you use a different coil could pull a few more good targets out. HH
I love White's machines but I'm totally sold on the CTX.

For what it's worth, I pounded a 1940s house in my neighborhood with a MXT Pro over the space of a year. I cherry picked, then dug iffy tones, and then dug low tones. I found a handful of bullets, a handful of wheat pennies, a bunch of clad, a gold ring, an early great seal button, a few centavos, a silver Washington, two Rosies, a war nickel, and a Merc. This included the 12" coil and a 5.3 Eclipse coil and lots of swing time.

After I got used to the CTX I went back over there....I found two pennies and they were super-iffy. Probably hit them with the MXT but skipped them...only dug them with the CTX to test my theory.

I think knowing your machine inside out trumps a high-dollar detector that gets purchased for shiggles. Now...if you have a high-end machine AND know the nuances of iffy targets and heavy trash, watch out...game on.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's are the best

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's are the best

I agree, White's are the best general purpose detector. I own the Spectrum XLT. I am where you guys will be in a few years. Owning an older machine with no reason to upgrade! I am also trying to break the gold jewelry / pull tab / foil dilemma. I'm having some promising results. No, I'm not finding gold rings everyday, but I may be on to something. We'll see! Yup, "White's are the best".

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If cost doesn't matter, but you are limiting your selection to White's detectors, then the V3i is going to be the obvious choice. After all, it is undeniably more versatile than any other detector White's makes. However, that same versatility can get you into trouble. If you don't bother to learn how it works, making changes that improve performance would be just a shot in the dark.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's don't call it real time for nothen

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always owned Whites detectors, I tried a few others but didn't care for them ;D

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started out in 1969 with a White`s TR 66 i think and wandered, Relco,Bobcat did the Bounty Hunters.... I have drank the Minelab kool-aid.....I joined the Fisher& Tesoro Cults and the Compass& Garrett Klans....right now i`m on a Teknetics they all have a place....i try to stay away from the unknone brands and hard drugs.
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions