Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How does everyone tie your dredge off?
I find that sometimes finding good tie off points are difficult and more than anything else I dislike untangling rope and then when I'm done dredging trying to Un-knot it and wind it up.
I've looked into recoiling rope jigs but everything isn't right or is too big and heavy.
I was thinking of large dog breed retractable leashes which are about 30 feet. I could disassemble them and mount one on each float.
This would eliminate the "Christmas light ball of rope" and make tieing up and untieing very quick.
Good idea or back to the drawing board?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen as boat anchors with dog chains works just fine-pick up and run underwater in/out no hastles AND keeps tickets away and rafters/kayakers can't complain,whine and snivel---ooops sorry I forgot as they do anyway as OUR MERE PRESENCE DECIMATES THEIR EXPERIENCE according to testimonies...sic sic sic ..John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
for me, it depends on the stream/creek/river im working! for slow water i also use anchors,but for faster water i tie off to the closest points and i use 2 or 3 ropes to keep the drege in position. also on fast water, make sure your tie off point on the dredge is at a middel point or tied off low to keep the nose of the dredge hi in the water! tieing off hi on the dredge WILL make the dredge nosedive in fast water! BAD NEWS!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a 5 gal bucket with a couple rocks in it, a rope to lasso the lock-downs at back of sluice box. It kept the dredge from "motorboating" forward, but still
able to drag forward by the diver. Worked great in most situations. (not good in deeper water as it tends to pull down on the
back end)

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use milk crates. Just fill them up with river rocks and you have anchors. As for tying them off, you need to learn some rope skills. I can't teach you that from here.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a spud pole, no ropes no anchors, no chains. I do tie off the dredge when it's not in use. Works great in smaller rivers and creeks up to 8' deep.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use milk crates. Just fill them up with river rocks and you have anchors.
Just drill out a 5 gal bucket and it will stack with your other 5 gal buckets.

As for tying them off, you need to learn some rope skills. I can't teach you that from here.
I can:

Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care,

And for everyone else that said 'what's a spud pole'?

imagezki.jpg

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
as jog does i use a stiff leg or spud. also have the ability to also stiff leg the back. it works in fast or slow water and you can put your dredge where you want it and do it fast. i really don't like ropes, to me they are a pain in the ass. i have used still legs on a 5,8 and 10 inch dredge. so it works on all sizes.

bill/cr

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet link! It's in my favorites now.

thankyou JC! i saved the addy in my list!

One of the other scout leaders was showing me their tablet app for that Monday night. You could rotate the knots to look at it from all angles. I just can't believe how far that website has come!

I only use a couple knots most of the time. An overhand loop, taughtline, 1/2 hitches. Keeps s***...stuff in the bed of the truck and really, useful for most other things.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you have used a spud pole you will wonder why you ever used ropes.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HUGE problem with spud poles on rivers fed by dams.Forks of the American,Yuba and many others will rise 5-8' in a matter of a few minutes and your dredge is gone forever. Seen a few go away never to be seen again,just a few pieces scattered on the bottom,broken pontoons on the banks is ugly sight-John

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I should take more time to manage my ropes properly but all I want to do is dredge.
I've had to tell myself to stop and eat/drink something on more than 1 occasion.
Awesome suggestions by the way!

On a random side note any one know what mesh a non-modified manufacturer dredge ( Keene/Proline ) should CONSISTENTLY catch assuming its run correctly?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a random side note any one know what mesh a non-modified manufacturer dredge ( Keene/Proline ) should CONSISTENTLY catch assuming its run correctly?

Depends on what speed of water you run and how flat your box is. Flatter and slower = more fine gold but you can't feed it fast or it packs up. I run about 85% - 90% throttle with a spacing bar to give my dredge MORE angle and I catch -100. How much -100 am I blowing out? I don't know because it's too hard to pan tailing for stuff that tiny. Sure it can be done, but I won't give up that much nozzle time.

Edit - that's on a keene 4 inch with stock over/under riffles

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blaster nozzle makes a HUGE :laughing7: difference in fines retention. No more clay balls rolling through to pick up rocks and gold,no more cemented gravel clumps to block the flows and all they both contain is yours. A nice constant blasted feathery loose flow, and over under, is the best way to go. Add on a flared jet and BIG dampening curtain and it's yours. John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread