Drills II

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upon close examination, the fracture lines on these drills from NW FL and central GA indicate that they weren't used as drills. They're actually cutting implements and only a couple were used in some form of drilling, graving, or punching. This may be the reason that so many of them are found broken. This case is from over 30 years of personal finds and is an older picture. I've added about 10 more since this pic was taken.

Attachments

• drills 1.jpg
    drills 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found very few whole ones all pencil drill types. Nice frame

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
Nice collection of drills you have assembled there. I have also thought that what we refer to as drills were actually used as cutting tools and continually resharpened until they took on the drill form and then finally broke because they became to weak to support the forces required to cut.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been saying this for years. I would be willing to bet that 60% or more of what everyone calls a Drill was never actually utilized as an actual Drill. I have only a few that actually show polish from being used to drill with. Most of what I have the people would call Drills have very sharp edge like a Knife and I think they were either exhausted Knives or a specialized Tool with a certain purpose.

These pics show some that show no evidence or ever being used as a Drill and a few that show obvious polish from being used to drill holes.

Attachments

• Blades and Points (22).jpg
    Blades and Points (22).jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Drills (6).jpg
    Drills (6).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 71
  • Pics-357.jpg
    Pics-357.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Drills.jpg
    Drills.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Drills (1).jpg
    Drills (1).jpg
    147 KB · Views: 75
  • Drills (3).jpg
    Drills (3).jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Drills (4).jpg
    Drills (4).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Pics-268.jpg
    Pics-268.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 74

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I'm not the only one that realizes that most "drills" are resharpened wore out knives. Much like "stunners" or arrowheads being made by dripping water on stone...I wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread