Quartz pebble tool

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one over the summer. I believe that it is what is referred to as a pebble tool. IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1900.JPG IMG_1901.JPG IMG_1902.JPG IMG_1903.JPG

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Items like that can be tough to identify, especially when they are made of white quartz like that.

Can you post a side view of it, it should have a relatively strait or even zig-zag edge, but a defined edge none the less.

OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1904.JPG IMG_1905.JPG
Items like that can be tough to identify, especially when they are made of white quartz like that.

Can you post a side view of it, it should have a relatively strait or even zig-zag edge, but a defined edge none the less.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is really intriguing! I've never heard of a pebble tool - adding that to my list of things I need to learn about. You really have a bounty of quartz in your area :)

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I've never heard of a pebble tool either, and that piece is way bigger than what I would ever call a pebble.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't call it a pebble either just some sort of Quartz chopper, scraper,... Quartz is a primary lithic in my area and find these items at my sites from time to time.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Wes. I just didn't see any workmanship on it. You are experienced, I'm not. Just trying to learn a bit about native artifacts. But try as I might, I can't see it. Looks like a randomly fracture hunk of quartz. Peace, Brother.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I probably should have asked this first but did u find it on a site where u typically find artifacts. Quartz tools are very hard to identify sometimes. Usually location and frequency of similar objects at nearby sites is the tie breaker for me. Pictures are hard to tell but IMO it looks like I see where there was effort to chip the rock to make edge but I could be wrong. It's very possible could just be rock. Can you share more on e location you found it, what you have found there before, what types of Quartz objects you have found there before, etc...

Also a pictures of the other side... is the other side flat and just white Quartz visible?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Some tools are pretty simple and nondescript, often overlooked or not recognized by many avid hunters even, from what I have seen.

This piece could go either way, and as was just posted, location of the find is piece of the puzzle too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably should have asked this first but did u find it on a site where u typically find artifacts. Quartz tools are very hard to identify sometimes. Usually location and frequency of similar objects at nearby sites is the tie breaker for me. Pictures are hard to tell but IMO it looks like I see where there was effort to chip the rock to make edge but I could be wrong. It's very possible could just be rock. Can you share more on e location you found it, what you have found there before, what types of Quartz objects you have found there before, etc...

Also a pictures of the other side... is the other side flat and just white Quartz visible?

I am located in southeast Georgia near Augusta. The spot that I found it in is littered with Quartz shards. I have found many points and pottery pieces there as well as other tools. Almost 99% of what I find is made of Quartz. Chert turns up every now and again, but it is very rare.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I see, JMO it's a stone that they started on to knapp but found out there was way to many cracks in it and dropped it. It is still an artifact.:occasion14:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
This is what I see, JMO it's a stone that they started on to knapp but found out there was way to many cracks in it and dropped it. It is still an artifact.:occasion14:

No argument intended, but I think that sharp protrusion on that debitage looking piece just may indicate it could have been used as a graver. I'd be looking at it for some use wear.

OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it used for? I see them all the time in the creek but never knew it was a tool.

I am sorry for the confusion. If you look up pebble tool it is just a way of describing a tool that's made from a river rock.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread