Drought impact on food supply

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
What are you doing in the way of thinking ahead on this one? Without question a drought elevates food prices and a severe multi-year drought creates outright shortages.

This morning my wife told me she could not find our favorite organic peanut butter at Trader Joes. Not a big deal, since Kroger has peanut butter, but ... they too are understocked. Reason is last year's weak peanut crop due to drought.

Is this what you are finding across the country? Not necessarily peanut butter, but other basic foods like potatoes, peaches, apples, garden vegetables?

OK, so peanut butter may not be globally considered a "basic need", but stop by my house sometime and see "what's for lunch". <lol>

Suggestions on what canned foods to stock up on to bridge the shortages?

Oh, by the way, I heard that the pumpkin crop (Indiana and Ohio) is pathetically small. Might have to get out a micro-knife to carve faces on the tiny pumpkins this year.

M

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok its time to start poaching deer again...I wont starve!

K

Kentucky Kache

What are you doing in the way of thinking ahead on this one? Without question a drought elevates food prices and a severe multi-year drought creates outright shortages.

This morning my wife told me she could not find our favorite organic peanut butter at Trader Joes. Not a big deal, since Kroger has peanut butter, but ... they too are understocked. Reason is last year's weak peanut crop due to drought.

Is this what you are finding across the country? Not necessarily peanut butter, but other basic foods like potatoes, peaches, apples, garden vegetables?

OK, so peanut butter may not be globally considered a "basic need", but stop by my house sometime and see "what's for lunch". <lol>

Suggestions on what canned foods to stock up on to bridge the shortages?

Oh, by the way, I heard that the pumpkin crop (Indiana and Ohio) is pathetically small. Might have to get out a micro-knife to carve faces on the tiny pumpkins this year.

M

Sounds like you need to grow your own peanuts. You know, you can plant those un-roasted ones from the supermarket.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$2.50 for A grapefruit....??? That's what they're asking. The local farm mart I like to stop at has beefsteak tomatoes 2 bucks a piece. Average size tomatoes a buck. A buck a piece for good peaches....I can go on and on.

Not much you can do if you want to eat good...or like he said...grow your own and can it!

If I had to I'd poach too.

Al

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soon all those people who laugh at the survivalists and super-couponers (food hoarders) won't be laughing (most times myself included).....scary times though...hindsight is 20/20.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions