Dug a small piece of Tallahassee History(Hotel Cherokee)

Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to hit a large vacant lot littered with towering oaks. I was surprised to stumble upon several Indian shell mounds full of targets. I pulled the small axe head, and square nails from the base of a mound. Any ideas on what century these come from would be great! The most interesting find was the hotel Cherokee badge or room key chain. I can't find much about it on the web. I believe the engraved led fragment is a piece of a cap gun barrel. I'm using a basic machine that seems to cancel out older coin signals. Really hoping to upgrade and revisit this site. I'm 1 crushed beer can away from losing my sanity. Thanks for looking.

-Dan ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934048.056459.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934066.596454.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934085.022455.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934102.881379.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934117.722441.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934152.840172.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934171.832801.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934193.842319.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934215.186620.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934239.431477.jpg

Upvote 7

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That hotel fob could be worth a lot of money to a Florida collector. I hope you can find out more about it. One thing, I sure wouldn't sell it till you did some research. I like it

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Machines don't really have a way of canceling out older coins vs newer coins. They work off target conductivity. None will cancel out canslaw or aluminum cans but with experience you will be able to tell when a screaming target is a shallow drink can. If you raise the coil 6-8" while sweeping and it's still screaming loud it's usually NOT a coin sized target.
What machine you using?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A
Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Machines don't really have a way of canceling out older coins vs newer coins. They work off target conductivity. None will cancel out canslaw or aluminum cans but with experience you will be able to tell when a screaming target is a shallow drink can. If you raise the coil 6-8" while sweeping and it's still screaming loud it's usually NOT a coin sized target.
What machine you using?

Thanks for that incredibly useful information Fletch. I'm using a bounty hunter gold digger. The aluminum definitely rocks the meter. The only metal it seems to accurately discriminate is Iron. I dig most targets, but it wears me out haha.

OP
OP
A
Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That hotel fob could be worth a lot of money to a Florida collector. I hope you can find out more about it. One thing, I sure wouldn't sell it till you did some research. I like it

Thanks for the ID. Helps a lot with the research. I'll update if anything interesting pops up.

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local exonumia is the best. That stuff is way better than most old coins.

Don't worry too much about your sanity. Once you officially go crazy and start lurking in the woods with the metal detector is when the dreamy and legendary stories will be made.

OP
OP
A
Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local exonumia is the best. That stuff is way better than most old coins.

Don't worry too much about your sanity. Once you officially go crazy and start lurking in the woods with the metal detector is when the dreamy and legendary stories will be made.

That's where I go the most! I have a few permissions with history. My favorite is a summer camp near the battle of natural bridge. 75,000 acres of untouched dirt and someone managed to find it and leave their empty beer cans haha. Somewhere on the property are the remnants of an old railway used to transport slaves. I'm lucky enough to live near land rich in history, but mostly un noticed. Hoping to find 15th or 16th century Spanish artifacts one of these days. I prefer hacking through the brush over a public park any day of the week. Thanks for your kind input.

-Dan

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello ASTT. That hotel thing looks a lot like a luggage tag...very nice find. You have probably already seen this link on the net about the Cherokee but if not here 'ya go:

https://www.floridamemory.com/solr-...allahassee, Fla)&year=&gallery=0&search-type=

Built in 1923, looks like it was the place to be back in the era.

Good luck and remember special finds generally require "heap-many-holes-dug"...if it sounds or seems like a "possible maybe" 'ya gotta dig it. It is usually not the case but I have been pleasurably surprised many times by digging crummy signals that had a hint of something good. HH C9.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt. The hotel piece is very cool. Definitely go back after you upgrade, but keep hitting it now with what you have. Just go slow, really slow. Have you thought of trying for permission on some of the Florida cattle ranches. They are bigger than ranches in Texas, believe it or not.

OP
OP
A
Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello ASTT. That hotel thing looks a lot like a luggage tag...very nice find. You have probably already seen this link on the net about the Cherokee but if not here 'ya go:

https://www.floridamemory.com/solr-...allahassee, Fla)&year=&gallery=0&search-type=

Built in 1923, looks like it was the place to be back in the era.

Good luck and remember special finds generally require "heap-many-holes-dug"...if it sounds or seems like a "possible maybe" 'ya gotta dig it. It is usually not the case but I have been pleasurably surprised many times by digging crummy signals that had a hint of something good. HH C9.

Thanks for the link and advice! It's easy to get carried away. Can't imagine how much I've missed.

OP
OP
A
Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. The hotel piece is very cool. Definitely go back after you upgrade, but keep hitting it now with what you have. Just go slow, really slow. Have you thought of trying for permission on some of the Florida cattle ranches. They are bigger than ranches in Texas, believe it or not.

I've never thought of that. I read about a resent find near Ocala on a ranch that ended up being significant. Maybe I can find a connection. I'm def going back to this spot. It will have to wait. Hitting treasure coast in the wake of a hurricane tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions