Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The NYC beaches that are run by the park's department usually close down after Labor Day Weekend. That is when the lifeguards are finished for the year so there is no going into the water. Of course the sand area is open if you still want to swing a coil.
This year however, the swimming season has been extended until Sunday, September 11th. So, I may be able to get in a few more hunts before the season winds down.
Yesterday, I sneaked up to the Bronx for a 5 hour hunt at Penny Beach.
I managed to recover 12 quarters, 19 pennies, two junk rings, a junk post, and a key.
I also recovered what I believe is a chicken bone. He probably ran out of air while scuba diving??
IMG_4856.JPG
IMG_4857.JPG
IMG_4852.JPG

Upvote 11

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Too funny. I got the same chicken bone today while diving but left it there! Mine was whole. So you are not allowed in the water after the lifeguards leave? Michigan did away with lifeguards to get away from liability lawsuits.

You found a lot of clad. Where are the dimes and nickels?

And for a Michigan joke: Why did the chicken cross the road?

To prove to the racoon and possum it was possible.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bud! I'll take a junk ring over a nail any day. It's the rush that does it for me. Thanks for posting.[emoji106]

HH RN

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can go in the water when there are no lifeguard - infact after Labor day - I step up or try to step my bch hunts

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the lifeguards are finished for the year. The water is off limits. Our park rules don't allow us in the water at beaches that fall under the jurisdiction of NYC Parks. I know that you can fight that rule but it is such a hassle. If you get issued a summons, you have to go to court to get it thrown out and who needs to waste time doing that. Then they will issue you another ticket. As far as they are concerned, the water belongs to them. In September and October, the water is still warm and there are no swimmers in the way.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
After the lifeguards are finished for the year. The water is off limits. Our park rules don't allow us in the water at beaches that fall under the jurisdiction of NYC Parks. I know that you can fight that rule but it is such a hassle. If you get issued a summons, you have to go to court to get it thrown out and who needs to waste time doing that. Then they will issue you another ticket. As far as they are concerned, the water belongs to them. In September and October, the water is still warm and there are no swimmers in the way.

That is a bummer not to be able to hunt after the summer season is over....:BangHead:... Lots of potential during the winter low tides. I'm sure there has to be other old places you can get in the water that don't fall under the park jurisdiction, but you do have to play the tidal game. Good Luck

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Does the NYC Parks really have legal jurisdiction of the water below the lowest tide? I live in New York State and am aware of the many zany rules, regulations, and taxes, but I'm having a hard time with states' control of saltwater areas. They may have something on paper within their state legislature, but are they really, legally enforceable?

Oh, cool finds!

aj

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Does the NYC Parks really have legal jurisdiction of the water below the lowest tide? I live in New York State and am aware of the many zany rules, regulations, and taxes, but I'm having a hard time with states' control of saltwater areas. They may have something on paper within their state legislature, but are they really, legally enforceable?

Oh, cool finds!

aj

Here in Maryland if you park in there park, cross there beach from land then they can tell you what to do.. but if you come in by boat then all of that goes out the window and Riparian water rights kick in...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I love finding rings. Nice clad count.
Hope the gold and silver find their way into your scoop.

Lately can slaw is loving me...i can't say the feeling is mutual.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My beach season will start soon. Long johns on the beach may seem a little odd, but, the gold coins and colonial coppers come out in the winter.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, one day I'd love to actually get in a good water hunt

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Maryland if you park in there park, cross there beach from land then they can tell you what to do.. but if you come in by boat then all of that goes out the window and Riparian water rights kick in...
You nailed it OBN,, if I wait until the end of their season, I can pull into the swim area with a boat and tanks, (or a hookah set up) and hit "The Ledge"
There should be some Gold there. If they want to give me a ticket, they better be good swimmers, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread