Dug carved tortoise shell hair accessory.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is not a manly type artifact but I knew it was something special when it came from under 18 inches of earth , part of an old victorian trash pit. My research on it was quite educating, as to how this piece was made and how it is now illegal to harvest Hawksbill turtle. I know it is not faux or plastic or bakelite, but genuine not only from tests done to it but also the context of where it was found and who lived there from as early as 1860. Even though it is a dug piece, it is perfect in its carving and the surface has survived well.Very durable material. It resembles a hair comb but it never had the combs as part of the design. Not sure how it attached to the woman's hair.What I do not know is a value. I never have or will sell any of my excavated artifacts but I would like to know what kind of value this one has. It would make a difference to me as to how I proceed with cleaning it and showing to others, part of the whole presentation thing. It is hard to find examples to compare to it with sales prices, but I have seen other tortoise shell objects like eyeglass frames and such selling for big bucks. That is about all I know, thanks again vn

DSC00041.JPG DSC00040.JPG
DSC00037.JPG lhdrt.JPG

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like molded celluloid to me, which has been around since the 1870s.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like molded celluloid to me, which has been around since the 1870s.

Thanks gunsil for the input, I will probably take it to a dealer to verify. There are things about it that are making me question it as well.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This piece would be used as a tiara or diadem depending on the hairstyle -

Here is a very informative link on ID and preservation/restoration -

TORTOISESHELL: Real or fake? How to tell the difference | eBay

Value? Positive ID of genuine 100+ y/o shell in good shape - I would guesstimate 800 -1200.00, but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night :)

Hope this helps!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely looks like celluloid to me as well. I save the celluloid bits i dig in old dumps as fodder for my pyrotechnic proclivities (it's quite entertaining stuff to watch burn) but that piece is in nice shape and definitely worth saving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread