Dug Chinese coin...but whats with the two metal loops on each side? Need help.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this a couple weeks ago and had no problem with finding the id of the coin, but cannot find out why it has the two loops on each side? It came from a Civil War site. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• jan 09 055.jpg
    jan 09 055.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 930
Upvote 0

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dug Chinese coin...but whats with the two metal loops on each side? Need hel

Yeah part of a bracelet or necklace.
Probably a fake and not old at all.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Translation of the writing on coin: Coin with wire velly hard to loose.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
I AGREE WITH THE REPLY BEFORE ME. CONGRATS. :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dug Chinese coin...but whats with the two metal loops on each side? Need hel

deathhare said:
i dont doubt it was maybe some part of a bracelet or something but I wouldnt say it is probably fake and not old........it probably dates back to the 16 or 1700's,as many do.

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Looks like an older coin to me. There are several web sites to date the coin. Search chinese cash coins, it helped date the one I found. HH
JDD

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deathhare said:

Dadgum I guess we better take another look at the US plate and the 1847 Large Cent again. Those were dug within a few feet of the Chinese coin. I am surprised because it had as much crud built up on it as the Large Cent did. I will have another look at them brb..............................................................Ok ib and nope they are real. I appreciate all the help anyway. :icon_scratch:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger said:
deathhare said:
i dont doubt it was maybe some part of a bracelet or something but I wouldnt say it is probably fake and not old........it probably dates back to the 16 or 1700's,as many do.

agree, by 1850 due to Western trade in Imperal China,the chiness began to think for themselves.and many thousands left China looking for a better life.So if thousands went to the gold rushes and help build the rail system. Might be a question here some-one might be able to answer. If the union army had irish regiments theres a good chance that some Chinese may have sided in the Civil War Hmmmmmmm

Nice find and old congrats tinpan

y4ng

Dec 23, 2008

from the sides with the 2 metal loops attached to it, you could probably see which emperor's reign, then you could roughly guess the age of the coin. so perhaps you can clean it up a little

The visible words on the top and bottom mean 'Tong Bao' which simply translate to legal currency or something...

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
it's probably real...the Chinese helped build the railroads..they were definately here... :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Probably made into a bracelet or a necklace by a civil war soldier. That's my guess. Nice find.
Dman

T

trish76642

Dman said:
Probably made into a bracelet or a necklace by a civil war soldier. That's my guess. Nice find.
Dman

i agree with Dman....

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tsgman said:
deathhare said:

Dadgum I guess we better take another look at the US plate and the 1847 Large Cent again. Those were dug within a few feet of the Chinese coin. I am surprised because it had as much crud built up on it as the Large Cent did. I will have another look at them brb..............................................................Ok ib and nope they are real. I appreciate all the help anyway. :icon_scratch:

Tsgman, Its not necessary for you to be a sarcastic jerk about it or to get testy. I was only giving my opinion.
If you'd rather not have my opinion because you dont agree with it, I won't post it.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a guy living in S. Korea, who has found similar pieces here. The coin is authentic, dating from the late 1700s to the early 1800s.
It is a common coin, although I would have to see the other side of the coin to determine where it was minted. It seems the oriental
people connected coins together, or just put holes in them, to make them from a common coin into a religious charm of some kind. I have coins with one or two holes in them to dozens of holes in them. But, when holed, the coins go from the "coin" catagory into the "charm" catagory. There were other pieces that are coin size/shapes, but they were always charms and never coins.
A good find, and it is not surprising that it is in the same area/at the same depth of the Civil War buckle.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
From a guy living in S. Korea, who has found similar pieces here. The coin is authentic, dating from the late 1700s to the early 1800s.
It is a common coin, although I would have to see the other side of the coin to determine where it was minted. It seems the oriental
people connected coins together, or just put holes in them, to make them from a common coin into a religious charm of some kind. I have coins with one or two holes in them to dozens of holes in them. But, when holed, the coins go from the "coin" catagory into the "charm" catagory. There were other pieces that are coin size/shapes, but they were always charms and never coins.
A good find, and it is not surprising that it is in the same area/at the same depth of the Civil War buckle.
Yeah... I think maybe charm too. Super find, Tim!!

Nana :)

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deathhare said:
tsgman said:
deathhare said:

Tsgman, Its not necessary for you to be a sarcastic jerk about it or to get testy. I was only giving my opinion.
If you'd rather not have my opinion because you dont agree with it, I won't post it.
Yes and yes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions