Dug Chinese coin...but whats with the two metal loops on each side? Need help.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• jan 09 055.jpg
    jan 09 055.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 931
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dug Chinese coin...but whats with the two metal loops on each side? Need hel

y4ng said:
based on the character on the right, i presume that its this coin.

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm#chai ching

below is the link about the emperor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaqing_Emperor

the fall of the dynasty begins in his reign due to corruption among his officials

;D ;D ;D

Great info and thanks!

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
Probably made into a bracelet or a necklace by a civil war soldier. That's my guess. Nice find.
Dman

Ya I was thinking that since it was a foot or so away from the large cent that maybe a Soldier had it. But I also wondered if the Chinese were in the camp maybe selling food or doing some sort of service like laundry or sewing. Maybe just selling the coins as good luck charms to the soldiers?

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dug Chinese coin...but whats with the two metal loops on each side? Need hel

tsgman said:
deathhare said:
tsgman said:
deathhare said:
Yeah part of a bracelet or necklace.
Probably a fake and not old at all.

Dadgum I guess we better take another look at the US plate and the 1847 Large Cent again. Those were dug within a few feet of the Chinese coin. I am surprised because it had as much crud built up on it as the Large Cent did. I will have another look at them brb..............................................................Ok ib and nope they are real. I appreciate all the help anyway. :icon_scratch:

Tsgman, Its not necessary for you to be a sarcastic jerk about it or to get testy. I was only giving my opinion.
If you'd rather not have my opinion because you dont agree with it, I won't post it.
Yes and yes.

Ok.
I wont post in your threads anymore unless I agree with you.
We wouldn't want any tantrums or anything.

Have fun with your little charm. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deathhare said:
tsgman said:
deathhare said:
tsgman said:
deathhare said:
Yeah part of a bracelet or necklace.
Probably a fake and not old at all.

Dadgum I guess we better take another look at the US plate and the 1847 Large Cent again. Those were dug within a few feet of the Chinese coin. I am surprised because it had as much crud built up on it as the Large Cent did. I will have another look at them brb..............................................................Ok ib and nope they are real. I appreciate all the help anyway. :icon_scratch:

Tsgman, Its not necessary for you to be a sarcastic jerk about it or to get testy. I was only giving my opinion.
If you'd rather not have my opinion because you dont agree with it, I won't post it.
Yes and yes.

Ok.
I wont post in your threads anymore unless I agree with you.
We wouldn't want any tantrums or anything.

Have fun with your little charm. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a deal to me, how bout a tissue. :'(

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have also found a coin like yours at a civil war site on wilkerson pike in tenn.it was in a battle field that is not part of the battle field there,make any cents$.i think they thought as them ae a good luck charm,but the railroad is right there also.an arrowhead was found there also.but let me tell ya bout the battle there as ive found.many types of bullets ive found there,small 22 type,too .69 call.two different size canister shots,cannonball frags,and an eagle button.oh i guess its a boo coin,but no holes....jamey

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tsgman congrats on an unusual find. It does make a great conversation piece if anything else. I like finding things that leads to more questions. HH

Burdie

kmcneil

Jan 16, 2009
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I have a few of those around somewhere that were given to me by my granddad many years ago.....He acquired them on an island know as Okinawa, back in 1944 I believe? Not sure if they were gifts to him or "acquired in battle"........But never the less..Great Finds :thumbsup: I would say it was a "charm" of some kind.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TGSMan observed about the Chinese coin made into a charm that it was possibly being sold by a Chinese person to another, for good luck.
That is a probability. But, there were many, many Chinese who simply worked in the camps, doing laundry, working on the railroads, etc, and I would think that it probably would have been a Chinese person's good luck piece that simply was lost.
We don't know for sure. So, TGSMan's educated guess has as much value as mine. Wouldn't it be great if the coins/artifacts could talk, and tell us their stories. I, for one, would sit and listen.......by the hour. :)

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These chinese coins have been showing up on tnet a lot lately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread