Dumb well maybe not dumb idea for panning

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was planning to get my pans classieing screens last week but my dog got sick so vet bill and due to some issues i had to loan my dad alittle cash. Here in a week or so imma have it back and gonna get my stuff

Iv talked with kevin from here in colorado he has been a big help as have you all. He recommended as well as the rest of you have i get the panning down. So like recommended imma get some gravel dirt and sand mix and just get to panning at my house to get panning down. Before getting into dredging and sluicing.

I had a thought. I saw a youtube video and infact tom is doing the same on gold fever tonight. Basically you go to say lowes or home depot or a local store and buy bags of construction sand and run it. I guess their bagged local to your area to save on shipping. On the youtube video he found a goid amount of gold. Im thinking going to the hardware store and buying a few bags figure as i pann the local dirt thats got gravel in it to get to know how to pan the larger stuff and what im normally gonna find here. Then pan and sluice the construction sand to get experience panning finer material and maybe find alittle gold
I dont mind panning gold less dirt to get to know how to pan but id like something with alittle gold to get to know how the gold moves around and looks in the pan.
Do you all think it would be worth buying a few bags of the sand and seeing if i find some. Figure its worth a try plus after i could use the sand on my walk with ice melt to help with the ice and traction so im not really out anything

Also i have a sluice question. Iv seen some of the cheap sluices the ones u just sat in a river or creek and use. Can i get one of those and add pn a small pump to use it at home. Iv seen some on youtube figure it would give me some sluice experience and help with working the sand and the smaller local stuff after i classifier it. My thought was one with ripples and carpet but one i can switch out to rip matting for fine sands and find gold recovery.

What you all think or did i go off on a branch on the stupied tree

Upvote 0

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Sand from the store is classified depending on what kind will depend on how fine. You can continue it down if you want. A 50 lb bag is going to take you some time. Finding gold is iffy but it does happen. Remember to use some lead bbs and staples in case there isn't any gold keep track of how many you use so you know if you are doing it right. Learn to Pan first, sluice second, go from there. I know this sounds silly but learning how to dig and where to dig is important so buying bags of sand will only help with panning. I know you have asked a lot of questions and started a few threads and it seems like you have been brought back to a more realistic plan. I will give you one last piece of advice, go to the river or creek with a pan, shovel, and pick. Just try and find out if this is for you. It is dam hard work for little reward during the learning stage, and sometimes after.

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought sand the other day for my daughters sand box at Home Depot. I had to try a pan full. I found a few fly poops in one pan so the rest of 6 bags went through the gold cube today. Just have to pan my cons to see how good it is, but there is some, prolly less than the cost of the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya i do agree my plan is to hit up the local streams as well. Im hoping next week i can get a few bucks depending on how frozen the ground is. Given how much snow we have might bd alittle difficult. If nothing else im thinking a trip to denver hit a few of the public spots down there by golden if i need to. I have been watching alot of youtube videos and learned the inside bend of the stream is the best place. I want to dredge but like you and everyone else has said start with panning then sluicing and move up. I dont want to be the guy who calls hes buddy saying hey can you pan my cons for me or sell it as paydirt on ebay and i think going this route ill be investing as i learn and get better i could have the best gear spend 10 grand on a dredge gear and everything but it ant gonna do me any good if i got no idea what im doing. Im fine going to a river getting a few buckets and dropping in a few stables and bbs and not finding gold at first ill get the experience and when i find that good spot ill be confident knowing if i found nothing its cause there was no gold or knowing i found all the gold in my bucket not wondering if i messed a step up
Sand from the store is classified depending on what kind will depend on how fine. You can continue it down if you want. A 50 lb bag is going to take you some time. Finding gold is iffy but it does happen. Remember to use some lead bbs and staples in case there isn't any gold keep track of how many you use so you know if you are doing it right. Learn to Pan first, sluice second, go from there. I know this sounds silly but learning how to dig and where to dig is important so buying bags of sand will only help with panning. I know you have asked a lot of questions and started a few threads and it seems like you have been brought back to a more realistic plan. I will give you one last piece of advice, go to the river or creek with a pan, shovel, and pick. Just try and find out if this is for you. It is dam hard work for little reward during the learning stage, and sometimes after.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can find a non-frozen spot, get some river material from a spot with rocks at least the size of baseballs. Otherwise, bagged sand with metal bits added is good. If they are getting the sand here in CO, you may indeed find a tiny bit of gold. Try the tubes of sand they sell as weights for cars/trucks since that is the least processed material.

After a few hours building the panning basics, come meet me on Clear Creek just east of Coors if the creeks near you are still frozen solid. Thanks to our friends at Coors, the creek there is always warm :) You can try out my sluices and see what you like. I'll PM you further details...

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good kevin. My understanding from the youtube video is quickrite bags their sands local to the sells area. Ie sand bought in colorado is bagged in colorado

I never thought about the sand used for weights. I was watching gold fever tom ran three bags of the construction sand and said he had about 20 bucks in his pan

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if the snow will let up and get us some warmer weather i could get to the streams We had a good melt a little over a week ago but its snowed for bout a week straight. Right now id say weve got a foot in 4 days. The big reason im buying a truck soon. Unless i stay around granby the cars worthless

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are in an area that has had flooding and sandbagging, pick up a sandbag or two to pan out. Here in Utah it is the least worked sand along with what they put on the roads and you can usually pick up a flake or two out of a bag.

Bluefrontside

Oct 11, 2012
Coeur d'Alene, Id
I picked up 2 bags to run through my bucket concentrator and perfect my recirculating system. Also thought, "Why not, might find some gold". No gold so far but I have really got recirc system and my panning down for the fine sand. Lots of black sands too. Gives the kids something to pan.

Utduder

Oct 12, 2012
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is hilarious! You got more gold in that half bag than I have got panning in 2 trips lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions