Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
makton said:
I have a cousin that lives in Dumfries, Va and me, being in the Midwest, have always wanted to hunt for some CW stuff. Is Dumfries a good spot and what about the parks in the area or hunting on the Quantico river?
Any advice would be great as it would be an expensive road trip!

Makton

Makton,

Any "unbuilt" area in northern VA can be good for CW relics. Even better if you are near a water source. Dumfries was in important place of commerce from way before the CW. If your cousin has access to open land in the area, I'd say your chances are good for CW and earlier relics.

BTW - Generally speaking, parks in VA are a no-no for relic hunting.

Good luck.

DCMatt

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
makton said:
I have a cousin that lives in Dumfries, Va and me, being in the Midwest, have always wanted to hunt for some CW stuff. Is Dumfries a good spot and what about the parks in the area or hunting on the Quantico river?
Any advice would be great as it would be an expensive road trip!

Makton

Dumfries has plenty of Civil war (confederate) camps. Unfortunately many of them are on park service land or on
Quantico USMC base. I was hunting on some private property near Quantico when they decided to test some artillery or something, half an acre blew up a few hundred yards from me....but a damper on my MDing for the day ;D ;D ;D

But seriously Dumfries was used as a major trading port as well, spanish ships set in with trade goods, I found several spanish reales in the area. Best to look for old house sites and construction, look towards the potomac river side, some old trenches from CW period. Get some old maps, research old property lines, do your homework!!!!
Good luck

floodcitykid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions