Our Recent 4 day hunt. We had a blast!!!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Our latest hunt was so much fun! I want to thank everyone that showed up! I have posted pics of Day 1 and I am now posting pics from Day 2. If I can get it all done before 7:30 am...I'll have Day 3 and Day 4...if not, I will post tonight when I get home.

I would have posted last night, but we arrived home to hear a message that a very dear friend passed away on Friday night. He died in his sleep. Some friends were visiting with him on Friday night and said he was like a little boy, laughing, cutting up. During the night, he passed away. His funeral will be on Wednesday at 4pm.

Si Simons had been in Scouting for 70 years (1938-2008). He joined when he was 10 years old. He made Eagle Scout and joined the Navy. He retired as a Captain. During his military career, he remained involved in Scouting and long after he retired. We have known Si for a little over 2 years.

His knowledge of the Scout Reservation was astounding! He told me so much about the reservation, where things were or still are. Places to go, where to look, and even during the 50th Anniversary, I spoke with him that Sat night and he was telling me then, "Don't Forget to check out the maps by the barn" and not to forget to check out other areas. I will truly miss him, nor will I ever forget him!!!

On Wednesday, my boys will be wearing their Class "A" Scout uniform to school in honor of Si Simons, I will pick them up early from school so we may be at the church by 3:30 pm for his funeral at 4 pm.

I only wish that those of you that have come to these hunts, had the privilege of meeting such a fine man. I wish you could have sat with him and listened to him. Si was one of a few who laid out Kiwanis and later to make Lions. He built the rock tower, of course, the boys were there to help too! He was that Scout camp!!! That was his back yard, that was his home!!!

Our last hunt, he wife passed away (March 2008). So now Si is with the love of his life. They were married 56 years!!! They have 3 children, several grand and great grand children. Si, We Love You and We Will Miss You...but we will NEVER forget YOU!!! Rest in Peace Captain! (SALUTE)

Now for the weekend. We had a really good turnout. We had a few new members join and they fit right in with this crazy bunch.

Let me state something here. When we were authorized to hunt this reservation, the one rule we had to abide by, was to TURN EVERYTHING IN!!! Even in the beginning, many did not want to come because of that fact or were upset about it. But many still came and still come. I have posted many times over when folks ask and before each hunt....YOU MUST TURN IN ALL FINDS, INCLUDING TRASH!!! You may keep coins from our time, Boy Scout Sliders, things of that nature, but regardless, YOU MUST TURN EVERYTHING IN!!! EVERYTHING IS RECORDED AND DOCUMENTED!!!!

You are also required to check in and out with me, as I am RESPONSIBLE for everyone on the reservation that comes to the hunt! I report EVERYTHING to Ranger Dan! I have to keep a roster of all onboard. If you are a day visitor, you MUST check out. Hunting after dark is in the camp area only. If a day visitor comes and does not check out, I have to assume you are lost in the woods, injured or even worse!

This weekend hunt had a damper put on it. We had the Order of the Arrow happening on another campsite and among the OA's was some people who DO NOT LIKE US!!! Yes, the Archie(s) were there. They are OA members. We were asked, NOT TOLD, ASKED, if we could refrain from going to that camp area this weekend and from Dillard's Wharf. We agreed and abided by those rules the entire 4 days!! (I'm so proud of all of you who followed the rules!! THANK YOU!!) ... However, in regards to Dillard's Wharf, we are not sure of the exact location, so we were not really sure where we were to stay away from. We did venture down to the James and we looked around (as you will see of the pics, beautiful area!!!) The tide was coming in and it was really hard to look around....so we spent maybe an hour there and went back to camp. Several of us tried to walk to the other end of the reservation, but fallen trees and high tide prevented us from going all the way down. Maybe next time!!! I told several OA's that stopped by....to come back and see the finds, even give a detector a swing or two, even to pass word to have the ones who did not want us there to stop by....we are so willing to work with them, I only wish they would agree to work with us!

But even though there were some there that did not want us there, it did not damper our spirits and we were still able to retrieve some nice artifacts. We did however, DIG MORE TRASH THAN WE HAVE IN A LONG TIME!!!

I was told that a couple were down there, by the Arch. Dig and they found holes dug and not covered. I made sure to inform the Ranger that WE DID ABIDE BY THE RULES ASKED OF US and when these individuals who went that field, they covered the holes up! I do THANK YOU for that!! However, I still can't understand how you were allowed down there. I don't want our group, who have followed every rule (which are not many for this vast land), followed it all weekend! I am wondering who dug those holes and / or ...was it a setup to get us in trouble with the Ranger and BSA Tidewater. I will inform BSA Tidewater when I turn in the money from camping of this and I want them to know, those of us at Kiwanis DID NOT VENTURE OVER THERE!!!

We have a good rep with BSA Tidewater and Ranger Dan (who lives on the property) and I don't want to see anything destroy our time there. We have retrieved ALOT of history in these last four hunts and I am praying we can continue, atleast until Ranger Dan retires. We did talk of finding other spots in that area to hunt, and camp at the reservation. So, that is going to be looked into.

A day visitor made an very nice offer and I want to Thank You. And I also want to THANK YOU for coming back and returning what you found. That was very commendable of you!!! I am sorry I was NOT able to let you keep those, mainly due to where you found them. However, for those who came for the day and never checked out nor turn in their finds, you will NOT BE ABLE TO RETURN!!!

Gary, it was a pleasure to meet your Mom and I hope she had a wonderful time. We looked for you on Sunday! That was one awesome square nail she found!!!! YOU GO MOM!!! That will be a nice addition to the collection for BSA! And also gives us another spot to concentrate on!!! THANK YOU Ma'am!!! Gary, also let Tim know it truly was a pleasure to meet him....and I hope he may be able to return on our next one! He was a di-hard! He got stuck in the rain storm on Sat night!!!

Birdman, I hope your son had a wonderful time, as well as you! He said he would like to do that again, camping! And with the short rain storm that came through...what a touch to add to his first time camping!!! It was a pleasure to meet you both and I hope we will see you both again in the very near future!!!

Born2Dtect, it was a pleasure to have met you. I hope you had a great time...it was fun tramping through the woods and on the James, wasn't it? LOL.... Hope to see you at the next one! I think I have your chair also. Did your chair have a table attached to it? If so, I have it in my garage!!!

JRSherman, it was also a pleasure to have you and your wife come to the hunt. And I applaud your wife from driving out there the first 3 days to spend the day with you, even though she was not able to camp out, but her dedication to you and your hobby...AWESOME!!! I hope you both will return for the next one!!!

Narthaniol...it was great to see you and your wife again. I hope you both had a great time. You did real good on your finds!!! See you again at the next one!

To the old timers (LOL)....DCMatt (Jim), Stogie Jim (Matt), Kiros (he drives the furthest to these hunts), TheSleeper, and Ex2User....glad to have spent another weekend with you guys!!! You are the bomb!!! And CryptoDave was able to stop by...great to see you again!!!!

I also found a glove in the field by the flag pole....there will be a pic of it Day 4 photos. I am just finishing up Day 2 photos and I won't have time to upload Day 3 and 4...so I will do those tonight. I took ALOT of photos!!

When I get home tonight, I will post a few photos on this thread.

I am also going to see about constructing a display case for the finds from the previous hunts to this one, get in touch with Ranger Dan and put everything found in them. I will make sure YOUR NAME goes with that find!!! They are just as important as what the Archie find!!! They are of the history of that land and the BOYS have every right to see them as well!!! If I have to get permission to build ANOTHER BUILDING to display them, I will do so!!!

So Guys and Gals, thank you for a wonderful weekend. The weather was good, with the exception of a few showers on Saturday, which did not stop many of us from detecting! And even though Sat night we had a squal come through and Matt and Jim's tent went for a ride...it was so much fun!! Ya'll are great!!!

Talk with you all later,
Annmarie

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for organizing everything Ann, it was another successful hunt! I think we found a few new spots to check out next time, and maybe we will get access to some of our previous spots that were off limits this time.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i gotta toss in my 2cents worth here.
IT WAS A BLAST!!!!!!

The finds kept us interested, BUT one area many people overlook was the comradery. Sitting around the fireplace each nite chatting, JOKING, discussing topics from any area, JOKING, eating and did I mention the JOKING.
In this day and age its easy to get all cought up in the finds, but finds can be made anytime and anyplace, its the people that we meet that make this lifestyle so great.
There were many new faces at this hunt, and many that have been to more, but all shared one common bond there love of detecting and fellowship.

The best finds made during the course of this hunt and ALL the others, are "Friends".......

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Wow, what can I say?

First off, a big THANK YOU!! to Ann and Ron for organizing these hunts. I cannot thank you enough for the experience of the hunt, as well as the time spent at the campfire!!

Narthoniel, thanks for introducing me to the time of my life, and maybe next time those 50's will be in our pouch too!!

Birdman, I am really glad you and Little B had some fun, and look forward to seeing you guys next time.

Born2Detect, I promise next time to only pop the pennie's ahead of you, but only the large ones!!

Gary, though I didn't get to talk to you, hope I get to next time but I thought it was really awesome you got your mother into detecting too!! Give my regards to Tim, he sure was one diehard detectorist!

Lastly,but certainly not in the least, another big THANK YOU!! to the crew attending for making what I have deemed one of the most memorable experiences of my detecting, and just in general, life. While I have had many pleasurable experiences (snicker at that one Eric) in my time MD'ing, none have went so far as this hunt. DCMatt, StogieJim, Kiros32, TheSleeper, EX2User, CryptoDave- you all will be forever engrained in my memory (and not only in one way!! :o). The stories and jokes passed around were some of the most fun I've had since I used to sit around the campfire with my grandfather, and that's not even an age crack at y'all!! You guys really helped make the trip, and I'll always remember this first hunt, and look forward to the many hunts ahead.

Once again, thank you all for the many joys and pleasures of those 4 days, and I look forward to the next hunt with the hopes of meeting you all again!

Sincerely,
J.R. Sherman

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was two blasts and then some!! All my thanks go to Ann and Ron for their hard work and it's only through their connection with the BSA that we have this opportunity.

See you next time.

Jim

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
This hunt was truly an outstanding experience. Thank you VERY much Ron and Anne for putting this together for us. It is truly a privlidge to hunt so much historic property.

It was a great time meeting all of you. Thanks to everyone for the company, conversation, fun, and especially the insight. I am new to the dirt, and this was a great way to break into it! I only wish I knew at the beginning of the weekend that the Etrac wouldn't pick up some silver, but, we figured it out, and next time, the silver will be mine! Well, what I can find anyway :). I should hope to find more information on some of the homesites for next hunt. Those old copper coins you folks found have me drooling.

Thanks again for this hunt, and the privledge it was. Thank you also for all the great pictures! I think I only took one the whole time!!

Anthony

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11
Ann thanks for all your hard work and dedication to these hunts. You worked sooo hard trying to keep everyone straight. I am sorry to hear about your good friend Si. I remember you talking about him on past hunts. Reading all his accomplishments in life on the Boy Scout web site you can tell he has touched a lot of people.It was good to see everyone again as well as all the new faces. Could not of asked for a better bunch of people to hunt with. Had a awesome time with you all. Not to mention some great food and lot of laughs around the fireplace.

Hey JrSherman has your thumb doing ? Glad to see you had a pleasurable time. :icon_jokercolor: I could not resist.Till next time Eric

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
:thumbsup: update! Thought that would be a good icon for it!

Thumb's doing fine, 3 days of duct tape, took it off and its already healed except for the outer layer. I even bought me a new knife today so I can get started on the next bunch of scars!! :tard:

On a semi-related note, I got a good new topo map of the hunting grounds, and I'm going to try some voodoo dowsing magic and see what I can come up with. I got several months to work on it, so we'll see what happens!!

Good luck and Happy Hunting in the meantime!

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrsherman said:
:thumbsup: update! Thought that would be a good icon for it!

Thumb's doing fine, 3 days of duct tape, took it off and its already healed except for the outer layer. I even bought me a new knife today so I can get started on the next bunch of scars!! :tard:

On a semi-related note, I got a good new topo map of the hunting grounds, and I'm going to try some voodoo dowsing magic and see what I can come up with. I got several months to work on it, so we'll see what happens!!

Good luck and Happy Hunting in the meantime!

Yeah and maybe you could get the fairies and sasquatch to help you, or I think the chupacabra has the week off, give him a shout ::)

Map dowsing...what a bunch of bologne ::) :wink:

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thank You Eric...it was a beautiful service last night...not too many dry eyes in the house. One man showed up that has been his best friend since their Naval Academy days back in 46-53!! He went up to talk about Si and had a hard time! They were each other's best men in their weddings, they are like uncles to each other's children. The church was crowded, I only glimpsed back and saw folks standing, as the pews were full! Si was really loved by so many and he touched so many hearts. I only wish each of you would have met him, he would have left an ever-lasting impression with you just from one meeting with him!

I'm glad each of you had a grand time! Next hunt sometime March/April....will keep eyes on the weather and try to pick a good weekend (one without snow/sleet!!!) I won't turn in any paperwork yet...I will keep my eye on the Council Calendar and about Feb time frame, I will start checking on dates that are available. I just want to make sure we aren't greeted by Copperheads!!! I like to plan these around their sleeping period LOL!!!

Council has been made aware of the fact that we did not ENTER Lions all weekend. I did let them know that holes were found at the dig area by two others that came for a day visit and they were covered up. I just don't want our group to get blamed for something we did NOT do and abided by their request to not enter. Thanks guys for understanding! I'll make sure we DO NOT have another hunt the same weekend as the OA!!!!

I took the monies to BSA....here are two pics...one of all them money and the other of the receipt, just incase anyone should ever doubt if I turn in the monies given to me for camping. BSA was thrilled to receive the extra money. Thank You all for the extra contribution to the BSA Tidewater Council.

Next hunt, day visitors will be charged $1.00 per day and campers $2.00 per night per person. I hope that won't break anyone! That is NOT BSA's request....that is my own doing. So get mad at me if that is too steep! ;D :wink:

JR...glad your finger healed well. You MUST bring your "Whittling Chip Wallet Card" before we can allow you to use a knife again! :D

I will be calling Ranger Dan tomorrow....he should be back by now, I hope.

I talked to my brother in law who works for a construction / demolition company... he is going to touch base with his boss to see if they would be willing to donate their time and trucks to help out at Pipsico and clear the road at Kiwanis and level it. Wish me luck....if he won't, then I will call until someone would be willing to help out the Boy Scouts!!! I would like to see that road cleared and then cleared to the right and left and see them leveled out. I am also going to recommend to BSA Tidewater Council if they would name that part of the road "Si Simon Crossing". I'm going to see if we can get it done this Winter, while the snakes are sleeping, that way, we could get the boys from the troop to come out and help with the clearing, a service project for them. We can take that wood (trees) laying about and cut them down and make a wood bin in Kiwanis to store the wood for future use. I will let you guys know how this project turns out...please keep your fingers crossed and say a little Prayer I can get someone to help! Once I get a company to donate their time and trucks, I have to clear it with Ranger Dan and BSA Tidewater Council. I am going to touch base with Ranger Dan tomorrow on it. I mentioned it to BSA when I turned in the money.

I have to use one of my maps of Pipsico to give them an idea of how the road will be cleared. That will be the visual I will give them. I noticed the road to the left had alot of cracks and crevices in it...so that will have to be leveled out. Maybe, just maybe, as the road is being cleared, we can do some detecting too! I will let you guys know, so if we can....maybe you could come up for a bit. I may just rent the cabins this time for that...I believe they sleep 6...it's a bit more for staying in those...$20 something a night per person!!! There are only 3 cabins to rent (A, B, and C)...they are on the way to Camp Lions.

And as I told all of you this weekend...these hunts would not be a success without YOU being there! So, I Thank You for coming!!! Besides, I'm a needy woman...I need LOTS of men around to protect me from the Boogie Man! LOL

I'm going to work on some pics to post in here....so give me abit ...I may not get them posted all tonight...as we have to be at the Hunt Club at 6:45 pm. Our Troop are going on a haunted hayride and through a haunted house!!! BOO!!! Should be lots of fun! So, if I don't get them posted tonight, I will tomorrow...as it's my day off! :thumbsup:

Talk to ya'll in a bit...
Annmarie

PS: Here's a thread I made for Captain Donald W. Simons (Si), USN (Ret), Eagle Scout .... http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,197689.0.html

Attachments

• IMG_1373a.jpg
    IMG_1373a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1396a.jpg
    IMG_1396a.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 290

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I can't wait to see the pics of your finds. Sounds like a great weekend and hope to join in the next hunt.

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11
"Whittling Chip Wallet Card" :D :D :D :D LOL Ann does that come with a plastic knife ?? LOL Sorry I needed that laugh.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
cntrydncr1 said:
I can't wait to see the pics of your finds. Sounds like a great weekend and hope to join in the next hunt.

You can see the pics if you click WEBSITE under my profile name...it will take you to it...the 4th hunt. You can also see the pics from the first three on there as well!

I'm tired and cold! It was cold at the Hunt Club, where we went with our Troop. It was fun though! I got me some farm made pure honey (mmmmm good) and some homemade Goat Milk Soap. I'll have to try it out tomorrow when I shower and see if it really makes my skin so soft! :thumbsup:

We are planning March/April time frame for the next hunt. I won't post anything about it until the February time frame...so keep your eyes peeled to the VIRGINIA THREAD! k?

I'll post a few pics on here tomorrow...I need to go to bed! But look at the whole bunch on my website.

See you at the next hunt!
Annmarie

EX2user said:
"Whittling Chip Wallet Card" :D :D :D :D LOL Ann does that come with a plastic knife ?? LOL Sorry I needed that laugh.

Well actually, it's a wooden knife first, then you graduate to the plastic one (of course, it is one designed for child safety), then we get to the real plastic one and if all goes well...then the real thing! ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
warsawdaddy said:
Great pics,Annmarie.I looked at them in the slideshow format.Glad you guys had a fun time.Thanks for sharing.

Thank You Warsawdaddy! We did have a great time! We can't wait for the next one!!! Thanks for looking! Maybe you might be able to make the next one, ya' think?

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Kiros32 said:
Who found the Large Cent? :o And where was it found?
Ron in the Silver Mine and Ken, but I can't remember where he found that one. There were two this hunt. Also, JR found a 2 cent near the front.

Born2....here's the pics I could not send in PM....have an awesome WARM day...it's colder than...well, it's cold! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0312a.jpg
    IMG_0312a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0312b.jpg
    IMG_0312b.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0329a.jpg
    IMG_0329a.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0329b.jpg
    IMG_0329b.jpg