Dumpster finds: Oceanliner memorabilia

Masonlid

Mar 14, 2005
good ole Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre U Max
Been awhile since I have posted but last week while helping at the local dump I found some cool oceanliner memorabilia....circ. 1930's.Most of the stuff came from someone's travels aboard two of the "Dollar Steamship presidental liners"....S.S. Coolidge and S.S. Lincoln.Alot of brochures from their stays in Asia mainly. Hotel menus from the restuarants. Ship's deck plans and guest lists.The nicest stuff are the luggage stickers......Art Decco style. Sadly some are stuck togther.There are some oceanliner postcards (used and unused).

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    635.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    523.2 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 4

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I love stuff like that! Great find. If you frame them, they would make great art pieces.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, what mamabear said. Use your imagination and frame the better more colorful pieces. A nice collection for your home, or, as I've seen in several places...a high priced Art Object. Nice finds. Thanks for sharing.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow some of that stuff could be worth a LOT. because of the rarity of those stickers (I mean really, how many are actually still around?), the collection looks like the kind of stuff you see on Antiques Roadshow. you should have these checked out by someone in the know.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a very cool find and saving history. You might try using steam (steam iron, wardrobe steamer) to separate the stickers that are stuck together. Displaying those in a frame would really do the collection justice. I imagine a successful travel agency would love to have them on their wall. Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see making an attractive coffee table featuring those under a glass top , Nice find !

OP
OP
Masonlid

Masonlid

Mar 14, 2005
good ole Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre U Max
I hope I can unstick the stack ( about 10 of them ). I did rip one which caused me to "cuss" a little..lol. There's something else that was interesting found with this bunch of stuff....whoever owned this stuff once worked for a brewery...Carling's. I found their number I.D. badge(pin) and some very odd papers. I found a record card that showed purchases of alcohol.It's funny because it says that it was a violation if the records were altered....dated 1932,I think it was. It shows each purchase made and has a ink stamp with the time and date at each buy. Ohio was the issued state.

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love dumpster diving - anytime I see an older house getting cleaned out....Im jumping in..(!)

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use Ronson lighter fluid to unstick - cheap and effective, leaves no residue - I use it all the time to take stickers off paper book covers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions