Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
What would be the best time do a hunt like this? Late Feb or early March?
Availability of horses may be something to look at for out of towners, or those that do not have their own.
Depending on the size of the group, one might think about a cook or two.
You know guys, folks only have to get along for a few days here. + everybody would be busy, detecting, droning, investigating, . . . probably a good idea to bring along some way to document things of interest that may come across.

Would there be enough interest to put a hunt together?

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
dredgernaut,
I guess it took a while for me to write the last post, I didn't see your response until after I submitted. It would be hard to find a regular hiking partner, but who knows? She could be coming around that next bend in the trail. :)
I got into the LDM as a youth, and never really delved into the stone maps.

Stay safe out there,
Idaho Dutch

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your search area is within the wilderness area leave your drones and detectors at home. cant use those there. mostly everyone would be just walking and looking. spring is good for sure, but can depend on altitude, gets real cold at night in Feb. and march. . Respectfully: I personally am not interested in the area of search. i have my own location too fight. lol. also i think if you need cooks your party is too big. i think a few capable hikers that can eat and sleep on the go is best. having to return to a basecamp everyday makes for a lot of repetitive walking. i believe camp should move as ground is covered. i think you should find a couple guys and hit it as hard as you can. learn the area and see what your up against. small groups are best .. everybody pulling their own weight sort of speak. I.M.O. anyways

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe the ldm is real. i just don't trust the clues to find it enough. I definitely am keeping my eye out for her. lol.
if you need a partner and want to hike into my area let me know, i will share. lol

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
i believe the ldm is real. i just don't trust the clues to find it enough. I definitely am keeping my eye out for her. lol.
if you need a partner and want to hike into my area let me know, i will share. lol

Thank you dredgernaut, that is a very kind offer. If I was 20 years younger before my back started blowing out I would do it. The last time I did Superstition hiking was back in 08, was 50-60 pounds heavier than now, but my back has gotten a lot worse. I maybe have one last trip IDK. Even that is iffy.

PS - on the LDM clues, I spent almost 2 weeks solid at the Phx Public Library in the early 70's going through every book I could find making a list of clues. Got a topo map of the Superstitions and started applying clues. Ended up with three possible spots for the ravine location (3) that's it. This one was third on my list and has been the only one left for me, since the early eighties. I do not recall the Waltz map being around at that time, but I did check out every map I could come across. Personally I do not know of any of the old clues from back then that are a negative for this ravine. Some have not yet been verified, but I have not been to verify any so far as negative. I not even sure where to begin for checking out the stone maps. I have read through some threads, but it seems that there are as many readings on the stone maps as there is for the LDM. Not ruling anything out just yet.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the stone maps are just a different headache. lol. good luck in your health and search

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks dredgernaut, you too, enjoy the simple things that you can.
I didn't know about the detectors and drones for wilderness areas. Drones I can see, pretty invasive, but a metal detector?
I wonder what the penalty is? (. . . shhhhhh. . I took a detector in with me in 08 . . ooops)

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted some very recent pictures on the superstition mountain legend forum if your bored, called the thread : long dry walk

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know when people try to tell me that such and such ridge line is the home to the Lost Dutchman I have to laugh a little.

One would think that there were be some sign of a mining operation that suddenly ended in a secret location when their men were killed, and that there would be remnants of their operations there with 30 miners.

That takes a lot of gear and equipment and the movement of it leaves a trail that never gets weathered.....they also leave behind clues that they were making mine entrances.

Like stone tablets with the number 5, 6, and 7 marking the entrances of the 18 locations they dug up, and wagons for their mule trains....leaving obvious signs if they were killed off suddenly.

Number5CluseUpGroundScrapes.jpg
DiamondBack.jpg
Lost Dutchman Mine overlay.jpg

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Not to discourage you in any way, but please take my advice on this one thing if nothing else.

Be very choosy and cautious about picking your partner(s). Be sure of your partner before you set one boot on the trail. So many partnerships have failed, soured, some even ended with bloodshed. Just take it very seriously and make sure you know who you are setting off with, before you even start out.

There are two outfits that will pack you in on horses, can't recall both but the Feldmans run one of them. You would not go wrong to meet Ron Feldman and have a chat with him too even if you don't hire his outfit.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Oro. Thankyou for your advice. I agree totally, I was just having some fun when I said I was looking for partners. I know nobody wants to do what I am doing . most of the time I am out there eating dirt and sleeping with the snakes I am also thinking " why am I here". lol. I have a beautiful family and home yet here I am alone in the desert. I have tried to find a few people to make friends with, however getting the schedules to work is very difficult. I can go at the drop of a hat and for as long as I desire. I cant get anybody else to even try usually. my only partner is great but his income and schedule limit him. and my brothers are not physically capable. I will heading back down in a few weeks to try again. This time I am hiking alone again. however I do hike with a gun, satellite phone, and beef jerky. I will make it. lol. and just because I have a sat. phone does not mean I can get pizza delivered. I tried. lol.
I have met with the Feldmans before. Ron said I have some of the best research he has seen. they will not go to my area it is too remote. I did try. saguaro stables said maybe, but they cost a lot. that leaves just me carrying at minimum 4 gallons water plus all gear. I weigh 155 lbs , I can carry and climb with 65 lbs on me. but after 5 days or so I am coming undone. lol.

I am trying. with I knew someone with 1 mule.

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
You know when people try to tell me that such and such ridge line is the home to the Lost Dutchman I have to laugh a little.

One would think that there were be some sign of a mining operation that suddenly ended in a secret location when their men were killed, and that there would be remnants of their operations there with 30 miners.

That takes a lot of gear and equipment and the movement of it leaves a trail that never gets weathered.....they also leave behind clues that they were making mine entrances.

Like stone tablets with the number 5, 6, and 7 marking the entrances of the 18 locations they dug up, and wagons for their mule trains....leaving obvious signs if they were killed off suddenly.

View attachment 1773314
View attachment 1773315
View attachment 1773316

Makes me laugh more than a little when someone claims to be the one who has all the answers and their only pictures are Google earth images. Show an actual picture of the entrance and you might be able to convince people differently, however a half inch overhang on the mountain will create a shadow on Google earth.

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Oro. Thankyou for your advice. I agree totally, I was just having some fun when I said I was looking for partners. I know nobody wants to do what I am doing . most of the time I am out there eating dirt and sleeping with the snakes I am also thinking " why am I here". lol. I have a beautiful family and home yet here I am alone in the desert. I have tried to find a few people to make friends with, however getting the schedules to work is very difficult. I can go at the drop of a hat and for as long as I desire. I cant get anybody else to even try usually. my only partner is great but his income and schedule limit him. and my brothers are not physically capable. I will heading back down in a few weeks to try again. This time I am hiking alone again. however I do hike with a gun, satellite phone, and beef jerky. I will make it. lol. and just because I have a sat. phone does not mean I can get pizza delivered. I tried. lol.
I have met with the Feldmans before. Ron said I have some of the best research he has seen. they will not go to my area it is too remote. I did try. saguaro stables said maybe, but they cost a lot. that leaves just me carrying at minimum 4 gallons water plus all gear. I weigh 155 lbs , I can carry and climb with 65 lbs on me. but after 5 days or so I am coming undone. lol.

I am trying. with I knew someone with 1 mule.

dredgernaut, have gone down the same road... Can't get brought into my spot also. I believe u are right also on not Finding the ldm on clues. I believe its on the stones also. Like u I will be down soon for my trip. I hire a guide who don't care where I'm going. He's there for safety. Will know soon enough if what I saw last year hold the key to the mystery. Like u said carrying the water in is a ***** barely had enough last time out ran out 1 mile from the vehicle. Gl on your journey! View attachment 1773632

Last edited:

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey doc. nice pics. make sure you leave 1 bottle of water in your car just in case. I left 1 gallon in the car this last time. when we finally got back to it we drank the whole gallon in a minute.. just a thought anyways. stay safe out there and good luck to you as well.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doc . that's either the great wall of china or noahs ark . im not sure which. lol

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doc . that's either the great wall of china or noahs ark . im not sure which. lol

Can't pass up looking at it tho!! The explorer in me says u never know... Glad u saw them had to delete forgot had the location on them. Lol

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol. I wondered if you meant to share so much. very interesting looking location. I will not be near there . your secret is safe with me.. and I could go for a cactus cooler right now. lol 20191110_090920.jpg

Last edited:

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The geology is there. Hemitite veins in a area they shouldn't be. Just gotta get the one with an eighteen inch vein of quartz next to it. Smiles. View attachment 1773642

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread